Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Visiting UMich  (Read 717 times)

dislandtime

• View Profile
Visiting UMich
« on: May 23, 2007, 11:15:34 AM »
Anybody know if it's worth doing? If so, how to set it up?

Jolie Was Here

• Sr. Citizen
  • 3L. Meh.
    • View Profile
    • LSN
Re: Visiting UMich
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2007, 12:07:37 PM »
More information, please.  Cannot compute.

Are you an admitted student?  On the WL?  A potential applicant for the '08 cycle?  A disinterested party who just likes to visit college campuses?

I was referring to your intellectual penis. Which is quite robust.

Jolie is creeping up on me. 

dislandtime

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2007, 02:15:39 PM »
Pardon me. I'm on the waiting list.  I have sent them a letter and additional rec.  Has anybody in the same situation tried paying them a visit?  If so, did you call them and try to set up an "information session" or something of the like? Were they receptive to that? Any advice would be much appreciated.

Jolie Was Here

• Sr. Citizen
  • 3L. Meh.
    • View Profile
    • LSN
« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2007, 02:30:34 PM »
No worries, didn't mean to be snide.

I know that a few people on the waitlist visited earlier this year, but I don't know whether they flew solo or coordinated with Admissions. 

To be honest, I'm not sure that a visit would have much value.  It's definitely worth it to keep in touch with the office - not too often, but regularly enough to let them know that you're still interested.  But the students have scattered for the summer, so you won't get much of a feel for the school beyond the (admittedly gorgeous) campus.  And I don't know whether you'd get to meet with Dean Z. or not. 

If you're honestly undecided about whether to visit it couldn't hurt to ask someone in the office if it would be helpful.  They're pretty human and humane. 

Good luck!
I was referring to your intellectual penis. Which is quite robust.

Jolie is creeping up on me. 

iscoredawaitlist

• Sr. Citizen
  • The beagle puppy of anticipation
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2007, 11:47:31 PM »
well, won't the summer session people start up pretty soon, jolie?

Their FAQ is pretty explicit that visiting and meeting with adcomms in no way factors into their decision making. There may be room for a subconscious effect, but I'm not really sure that you stand to gain a great deal from this. It sounds like you've done what you can for now though!

Any questions though, you can call them and ask. I've found them to be nothing but polite and helpful when I've called.