Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: U of Minnesota vs. UW Madison  (Read 699 times)

ApesAMB

• AOL Instant Messenger - ApesAMB
    • View Profile
U of Minnesota vs. UW Madison
« on: May 23, 2007, 09:33:57 AM »
Is there much of a difference between going to the University of Minnesota and University of Wisconsin Madison?  I know the U of M is ranked higher, but is there really much of a difference between #20 and #31?  Where does each school place well?  Is either very national?  Is either going to provide better summer positions or networking options?

I am interested in patent law, but I don't want to limit my options until I see everything law has to offer.  Does either have a better program for that, or place better>
Boston College Class of 2011!

bitblaster

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: U of Minnesota vs. UW Madison
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2007, 09:52:04 AM »
UMN will probably allow you opportunities to work even during the year due to its location in the twin cities.  (This is assuming you do work in a hot area of patent law, which is in high demand there according to law professor Dan Burk.)  They have a great IP program and impressive IP faculty.  I would go there over Madison in a heartbeat if cost is comparable.

Edit: To address your placement question: UMN has decent placement out on the west coast, and of course the midwest.  It is also the top school in its area, which affords unique judicial clerkship opportunities.  There are strong networking opportunities within the twin cities.  I have the impression that Madison places mostly in the midwest, though this is true of both schools.
2L

Amy Winehouse

• Sr. Citizen
  • Rehab is for quitters.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2007, 11:40:36 AM »
University of Madison: don't have to take the Wisconsin bar ++

University of Minnesota: national name, excellent programs, superior professors, recognized for its legal writing program...I could go on ;)

They are both great schools and each one has its benefits.  However, if you google "law school rankings" look at ones that use quantitative data rather than peer assessment, I think you'll find that Minnesota is recognized as a very high quality school.

you might find these helpful:
http://www.law.umn.edu/prospective/cso.html
http://www.law.wisc.edu/career/
Columbia Law School 2010

vercingetorix

• Sr. Citizen
  • Vive le quebec libre
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2007, 03:26:20 PM »
as a guy going to UW I can tell you that UMN is a better school (though slightly).  it really depends what your goals are.  if you want to do IP in the Midwest there probably isn't much difference, and as another poster noted, you don't have to take the bar in WI.  if you want to branch out then the edge goes to UMN because although it is a regional power, it still has more national draw than UW.  is either school giving you money? 

ApesAMB

• AOL Instant Messenger - ApesAMB
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2007, 05:56:37 PM »
Thanks for the replies.  They have mostly been onfirming what I thought.  I'm on the waiting list at Madison and deferred at the U of M, so I don't know if I'm in at either.  I just was hoping for some info in case I was lucky enough to have a choice.  I have been leaning toward Madison because my SO will be in Milwaukee, but because I don't know where I want to live after law school, I also don't want to hinder my options.  I guess I've mainly been wondering if I passed up the U of M for Madison, if I would be making a bad decision, and it kind of sounds like I might be.  Anyone know if either places better in Chicago?
Boston College Class of 2011!

mumbling2myself

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2007, 06:03:43 PM »
I actually just went to the law school graduation of a friend who chose UW over UMN to stay near his SO.  He's got a great job lined up as a patent attorney at a large firm in Milwaukee (and had both 1L and 2L summer internships with this firm).  It's definitely possible to do well out of UW or UMN, so either way you probably shouldn't feel bad about passing one up for the other.

If you're a WI resident, the tuition/debt at both schools will be pretty managable (~10k at UW, ~20k at UMN), and you should do alright in Chicago.

vercingetorix

• Sr. Citizen
  • Vive le quebec libre
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 23, 2007, 06:26:47 PM »
agreed.  you wouldn't be making a mistake in choosing WI over MN, even if things don't work out with your SO.