Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Transferring To T1 After First Year From....  (Read 854 times)

ExpLo

• View Profile
    • Email
Transferring To T1 After First Year From....
« on: May 23, 2007, 09:26:05 AM »
Aside from a student's 1st year GPA, how much weight does a law school place on a transfer applicant's previous school's tier/rank?  For example how likely is it for a T30 to admit a transfer applicant from a T4 with outstanding 1st year grades?   

ě

• Sr. Citizen
  • non sequitur
    • View Profile
Re: Transferring To T1 After First Year From....
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2007, 09:28:07 AM »
Well, there's tons of threads on this, and it's all really speculation. And also very different from school to school. Some schools accepts a lot of transfers (GULC, +100) while others are very stingy. The general idea seems to be that class rank is more important than school rank, but the old mantra of "lower school rank needs higher class rank" certainly applies to some extent.

Pike#11

• Sr. Citizen
  • I wish I was here...
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2007, 09:33:04 AM »
Attending:  Florida
Accepted:  American, Florida, Florida State, Temple ($36K), Miami ($69K), Baylor
Waitlist:  UNC
Rejected:  Berkeley, Georgetown, George Mason, Duke

Pops

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2007, 10:27:39 AM »
As was mentioned, some schools are a lot more receptive towards transfers than others.  That said, a friend of mine transferred from Hofstra to George Washington after his first year, and it was basically due to the fact he kicked some mad butt first year. 

If you do real well I think you'll be fine somewhere, if you dont, you're probably screwed. 

SuperPimpBot9999

• Law School should be easy...
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2007, 10:37:17 AM »
Aside from a student's 1st year GPA, how much weight does a law school place on a transfer applicant's previous school's tier/rank?  For example how likely is it for a T30 to admit a transfer applicant from a T4 with outstanding 1st year grades?   

If you have to ask, you aren't getting in.
Normally I'm a straight-communist but close enough: Hillary in 2008!

ě

• Sr. Citizen
  • non sequitur
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2007, 10:39:36 AM »
That's pretty silly. Arnie's point is obviously golden. Law schools know that your UGPA and LSAT isn't the ultimate way to measure how good you'll do in law school, its just the closest to a decent measuring anyone has gotten. They also know that lower ranked schools are competitive, so if you manage to climb to the top 10% there, you're the type of person who will succeed. Law schools want successful alumni, it brings money and happiness. Not only are certain schools receptive to transfers, quite a few schools actively pursue them.