Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Admit it: you're in it for the money  (Read 11088 times)

Myshkin

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: Admit it: you're in it for the money
« Reply #10 on: May 22, 2007, 11:11:10 PM »
I never really thought of lawyers as wealthy. I suppose there are a few that are wealthy; but I'd guess you'd have more multistate lottery winning millionaires than you do lawyer millionaires.

john jacob

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 22, 2007, 11:14:28 PM »
papa johns pizza manager makes $750 a week. $3k a month, that's 36k a year (this is from Vault), and your life is devoted to making pizza, supervising a bunch of young slackers, and watching marginal things like the amount of pepperoni that you're consuming (make sure to put 22 pieces, not 24!)

Just saying. There's also more prestige tied to being a lawyer than there is in being a manager of a franchise chain (about the highest you can go...)

////

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 22, 2007, 11:19:05 PM »
I'll admit it - I am in it for the money.

bean22

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 22, 2007, 11:20:06 PM »

Managers of the local Papa John's pizza make $60K and you could do that with a bachelors and maybe 3 or 4 years experience.

you are giving them WAY too much credit. A friend (I don't pick and choose, don't judge me on this one) from high school had a serious drug problem and did exactly this after high school (probably about a year after, he was promoted up to it). He made a little less than this (40-50k, I didn't ask specifics) and was eventually fired for stealing $$, but he had no post high school education.

He is now the manager of a local Jack in the Box. I don't know what he makes, but retail management, unless its Abercrombie or Target or some crap like that doesn't really care about education. College is the new highschool, and college grads flock to the status-jobs - retail management seems to be for those not college bound (or, in progress). It seems then, because "quality" is few and far between, they pay well. Irritating to say the least, since most "corporate" entry level positions I've come across requiring a BA/S have offered only slightly more than what a retail management position would to someone w/out an education.

Myshkin

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 22, 2007, 11:24:03 PM »
I am in it because my first career didn't work out.

I had dreams of being on PBR and having people admire me across the country.  My dad started me off on pigs at about 9 years old, but I let him down.  My career lasted just over 18 seconds spread over four bulls.

That was my real passion.  Lawyering just seemed like a cool back up.

Captain

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • http://img164.imageshack.us/img164/5526/thumbid5.jpg
« Reply #15 on: May 22, 2007, 11:26:18 PM »
Business degree is faster, cheaper, and has the chance for a bigger cash return sooner than a law degree.  You probably won't be broke doing law, but there are easier ways to make money.

Chance, but no guarantee. iBankers have MBAs more often than not.

MBA = Business degree
Managers of the local Papa John's pizza make $60K and you could do that with a bachelors and maybe 3 or 4 years experience.

Well an MBA isn't any faster then... You need 1-3 years work experience in a lower-paying job before you can even apply for an MBA program...

He is now the manager of a local Jack in the Box. I don't know what he makes, but retail management, unless its Abercrombie or Target or some crap like that doesn't really care about education. College is the new highschool, and college grads flock to the status-jobs - retail management seems to be for those not college bound (or, in progress). It seems then, because "quality" is few and far between, they pay well. Irritating to say the least, since most "corporate" entry level positions I've come across requiring a BA/S have offered only slightly more than what a retail management position would to someone w/out an education.

Please visit the thread where I was arguing with someone over how the BA/BS is being devalued by an over-enrolled college system.
VIP.

grlykoolblah

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 22, 2007, 11:29:51 PM »
papa johns pizza manager makes $750 a week. $3k a month, that's 36k a year (this is from Vault), and your life is devoted to making pizza, supervising a bunch of young slackers, and watching marginal things like the amount of pepperoni that you're consuming (make sure to put 22 pieces, not 24!)

Just saying. There's also more prestige tied to being a lawyer than there is in being a manager of a franchise chain (about the highest you can go...)

My bro in law is a district manger @ Wendy's (no college edu) he makes 90 K (70 hr weeks)(I've worked in the other restruants and that's about the avergage at a fast food casual dinning place).  I know of moving comapines that pay 105-120k for their drivers (again no college edu needed). The girls @ the brothels in Nevada make 145k (or more) So if you are in for the money then perhaps you need to work someplace else.  

That said I think alot of people are in for the money and perstige (but didn't have the aptitude for the med field).  Myself, well, I just want to help people  :'(.

ě

• Sr. Citizen
  • non sequitur
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 22, 2007, 11:47:26 PM »
I never really thought of lawyers as wealthy. I suppose there are a few that are wealthy; but I'd guess you'd have more multistate lottery winning millionaires than you do lawyer millionaires.

Well, wealthy is always a subjective term... But lawyers going to firm route will often make partner before 40, and thus cashing in a million or more a year. If you can make a million a year while still having 3x candles on your cake, you're wealthy in my book. Needless to say, there's plenty of lawyers who never make a million paycheck, but then again, there's plenty of wash out ibankers etc too.

Alan Shore

• Sr. Citizen
  • All reality. None of it scripted.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 22, 2007, 11:52:31 PM »
At least I am. Well, sorta. Let's just say that if another field, say being a radio dj, had the career prospects and pay that a lawyer has, I'd be doing it. The big numbers that lawyers make... is a big reason why most of us are here. Even 40-odd k at a non-profit is more than most non-profits pay to entry-level bachelors.

Yeah, but you can have that pay right away without substantial debt.

$45,000 for public interest work is a decent wage in today's economy... but a far cry from the $100,000+ for doing intellectual property/patent work. Ah, the money is tempting...

bean22

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 22, 2007, 11:58:46 PM »
[quote author=Captain Longshot link=topic=88583.msg2245218#msg2245218

Please visit the thread where I was arguing with someone over how the BA/BS is being devalued by an over-enrolled college system.
[/quote]

Which thread was this? I'd really like to read it, since I'd probably agree with you and would like to have something to throw at my parents the next time I visit and they gush over my "accomplishments". I'd like to, again, discuss with them that today's educational "accomplishments" are literally worthless. (And is one of the reasons I really want to go to lawschool...I have no edge in today's job market. My god, I made more waitressing - on average - than I do as a "professional").