Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Poll

What is the most lawyerly beverage one can partake in at a function?

Fine Bourbon and water
 19 (12.8%)
Fine Scotch and water
 56 (37.8%)
Tequilla shots
 10 (6.8%)
A high-grade Vodka
 18 (12.2%)
Schnopps/Dessert Liquor
 5 (3.4%)
Club Soda
 13 (8.8%)
Gin and Tonic
 27 (18.2%)

Total Members Voted: 148

Author Topic: The Most Lawyerly Beverage  (Read 8421 times)

DDBY

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: The Most Lawyerly Beverage
« Reply #90 on: May 23, 2007, 09:21:25 PM »
Jack neat FTW.
I know.  But please, don't call me Jack.

DDBY

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: May 23, 2007, 09:45:22 PM »
I'm disappointed that Cognac/Brandy is not in the list
That's for a Name Partner at a Biglaw law frim. Also in private amung close friendswhen every move you make isn't being evaluated for weakness.

Captain

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • http://img164.imageshack.us/img164/5526/thumbid5.jpg
« Reply #92 on: May 24, 2007, 12:24:55 AM »
The Macallan (12 year +) straight up.  Slainte!

I won't speak ill of The Macallan. However, I'm currently favoring Lagavulin.

Speyside spice and toffee works best for me; though I agree, speak no ill of any island single malt!

Oban, anyone?
VIP.

Captain

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: May 24, 2007, 12:28:11 AM »
Let's talk Scotch.  What's something that doesn't make me look like a chump, and most bars would carry?  

Dewars

Dewars or Johnny Walker Black are relatively affordable blended Scotch that most bars will carry at  least one of.

Single Malts will never ever make you look like a chump, but they cost more, and most bars will carry only a few (or if it is a dive, none).
VIP.

marlinspike

• Sr. Citizen
  • Why yes, I am the one who took my avatar photo.
    • View Profile
    • Richard's Photos
« Reply #94 on: May 24, 2007, 12:30:29 AM »
this may be a stupid question but.... I don't drink. I know there ia a lot of drinking while networking and that sort of thing but will it be looked down upon if I don't have bourbon with everyone else? The smell and taste of alcohol repulse me so I won't be taking one for the team.

Your option would be club soda then.  I think the standards are set lower for a woman that chooses not to drink.  It may even say, I'm a classy abstainer (It might also say you're crazy, but the days of the hatchet abolitionists are dwindling into the past).  If you're a man and choose not to drink then well.... something must be wrong.  And don't use AA as an excuse.

at a lawyerly function...just tell one of the servers to bring you a ginger ale with a couple of cubes of ice, then deliver it to you and have her say "here is your scotch"....then drink it, drink it all and then seductively moan, like "ahhhh, I really needed that.."  It should do the trick.

Or just get a coke...or if you're feeling girly a cranberry juice. Those are two things that don't contain alcohol but at the same time in a drinking environment others will assume they have alcohol in them. Though I still think if you're ever asked about it and you respond with something along the lines that never drinking keeps your mind at its best to better serve your clients then nobody can argue.

If I were ever to drink (and I'm not), it would be warm cognac...because at least that's functional.
Gas: UMD, W&M ($$), Wake Forest, Emory, GW, GMU
Clutch: Michigan, Notre Dame, UVA, AU (yield protect?), Duke, BC (Michigan told me no on 6/13 - Thank you MI for being courteous and letting me know)
Brakes: Gtown.
(3.23 169)

ě

• Sr. Citizen
  • non sequitur
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: May 24, 2007, 06:55:49 AM »
Where does the name dive bar come from anyway? I get the concept, that it's sort of a cheap, local bar where students can get hammered for an affordable price, but what does diving have to do with it?

Captain

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: May 24, 2007, 08:40:39 AM »
Let's talk Scotch.  What's something that doesn't make me look like a chump, and most bars would carry?  

Dewars

Dewars or Johnny Walker Black are relatively affordable blended Scotch that most bars will carry at  least one of.

Single Malts will never ever make you look like a chump, but they cost more, and most bars will carry only a few (or if it is a dive, none).

scotch parrot

do you ever drink anything else

Yes. Beer. Gin and Tonic. SoCo. Various other shot-ables.

This is about Lawyerly beverages.
VIP.

ericptk2000

• MSU' 10
    • View Profile
    • LSN
« Reply #97 on: May 24, 2007, 08:42:26 AM »
I think the most classy shot would have to go to the "three wisemen"!!! It would be especially pleasent if you are an inexperienced drinker.
Bumpersticker and Laptop (Attending): MSU '10
Bumpersticker (In): Pitt, Case($), MSU($$$$), Loyola, Cincinnatti($), Toledo ($$$$)
I'm sorry can you hold (WL): American
Dropped call (OUT): OSU

DDBY

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: May 24, 2007, 08:59:44 AM »
Where does the name dive bar come from anyway? I get the concept, that it's sort of a cheap, local bar where students can get hammered for an affordable price, but what does diving have to do with it?
I always thought that it was as in dive to the lowest possible place. Bottom of the barrel.

dirtytennisshoe

• View Profile
« Reply #99 on: May 24, 2007, 09:51:12 AM »
I honestly think the answer to this question is wholly dependent on the situation, such that while you should splurge for a bottle of The Macallan 25 sitting firmly bellow your desk, you would be the odd man out if you weren't drinking a beer directly from the bottle at the firm's memorial day bar-b-q.