Law School Discussion

UoP, Santa Clara or hold out?

UoP, Santa Clara or hold out?
« on: May 22, 2007, 06:19:50 PM »
I applied to law school very late in the game- around mid april- and the only schools still accepting apps were McGeorge and Santa Clara.  I have a 3.6 and a 165 and got offered 12k from sc and 15k from mcgeorge.  I have freinds with scores and grades lower than mine that got similar offers from these schools.  I was wondering if my late application was a reason for this.  Also, I am considering waiting a year and applying to Davis, Hastings, UCLA, and USC  were I could MAYBE get into but serve better prospects for the future.  I'm leaning toward Santa Clara does anyone know how grads there fair in the bay job market- I readthey get paid as well as some of the schools I mentioned but they are a low tier two. Any explanation?  Thanks for any help.

Astro

• Happy birthday goalie!!!
    • View Profile
Re: UoP, Santa Clara or hold out?
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2007, 06:54:12 PM »
If you can wait a year, do.

Santa Clara grads tend to do well, but that's mostly through IP connections.  If you don't have a hard science background, don't believe the numbers.

Wait a year and reapply.  You will get into Hastings, and probably Davis as well.  You also have a decent shot at USC.  Not so sure about UCLA -- you may need a better LSAT score. 

If you want to stay in the Bay area and you can't get into Stanford or Boalt, Hastings is easily your best choice.  Also, if you're a resident, it's cheaper than Santa Clara or McGeorge.  Just wait a year.

« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2007, 07:02:18 PM »
The temptation to get started now is growing as summer approaches but your advise is similar to what I had received from my family.  Thanks for the reply.

Astro

• Happy birthday goalie!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2007, 07:08:43 PM »
You only go to law school once.  If you can wait, do it.

Good luck!

« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2007, 07:57:42 PM »
 what about transferring?  I know its a pain but to most school accept transfers?

« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2007, 08:05:41 PM »
what about transferring?  I know its a pain but to most school accept transfers?

I agree, you should wait a year. You don't want to be kicking yourself later on for not going to a better school. If you want to have a better chance at USC/UCLA you can spend this time getting work experience and maybe even retake the LSAT. Don't worry, your job prospects will improve significantly by waiting a year.

« Reply #6 on: May 23, 2007, 12:11:04 PM »
I think you should wait. You have good numbers. The most important thing to remember when applying is to do it early otherwise you will be at a disadvantage. I'm sure you'll get into those other schools if you apply early this time around. My friend had a 160 and like a 3.8 GPA and she just got into Harvard! Don't sell yourself short b/c your in a rush to go to law school. However, don't get me wrong, Santa Clara is an excellent school. You will not be at a disadvantage if you go there. But you may have better opportunites if you go to UCLA. Hope that helps some.

dbgirl

• View Profile
    • KnowTheTruth
« Reply #7 on: May 23, 2007, 12:19:39 PM »
I applied to law school very late in the game- around mid april- and the only schools still accepting apps were McGeorge and Santa Clara.  I have a 3.6 and a 165 and got offered 12k from sc and 15k from mcgeorge.  I have freinds with scores and grades lower than mine that got similar offers from these schools.  I was wondering if my late application was a reason for this.  Also, I am considering waiting a year and applying to Davis, Hastings, UCLA, and USC  were I could MAYBE get into but serve better prospects for the future.  I'm leaning toward Santa Clara does anyone know how grads there fair in the bay job market- I readthey get paid as well as some of the schools I mentioned but they are a low tier two. Any explanation?  Thanks for any help.

I wouldn't normally recommend waiting, but your numbers are high for Santa Clara and they should have offered you more $$. 

With those numbers you should be able to get into Hastings or Davis.

« Reply #8 on: May 23, 2007, 12:24:05 PM »
 P.S. Another way I look at it is this: if you don't have acceptances from a higher ranked school that is not offering you any money you might be selling yourself a little short in the application process. Usually the schools that your too good for will offer you a great deal of money to give you an incentive to attend. So if you don't have an acceptance from a higher ranked school who is not offering you money than you probably could apply to a higher ranked school and get in. (If you apply early) When my friend got a full ride a Berkeley she figured she was worth more than she thought, so she applied to Harvard...that's when she got in, but without a scholarship. I hope you consider applying EARLY next cycle because I belive with your numbers you could get into those other schools. Hope this helps.