Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: UoP, Santa Clara or hold out?  (Read 1278 times)

jamesgoldsack

• View Profile
UoP, Santa Clara or hold out?
« on: May 22, 2007, 08:19:50 PM »
I applied to law school very late in the game- around mid april- and the only schools still accepting apps were McGeorge and Santa Clara.  I have a 3.6 and a 165 and got offered 12k from sc and 15k from mcgeorge.  I have freinds with scores and grades lower than mine that got similar offers from these schools.  I was wondering if my late application was a reason for this.  Also, I am considering waiting a year and applying to Davis, Hastings, UCLA, and USC  were I could MAYBE get into but serve better prospects for the future.  I'm leaning toward Santa Clara does anyone know how grads there fair in the bay job market- I readthey get paid as well as some of the schools I mentioned but they are a low tier two. Any explanation?  Thanks for any help.

Astro

• LSD Obsessed
  • Happy birthday goalie!!!
    • View Profile
Re: UoP, Santa Clara or hold out?
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2007, 08:54:12 PM »
If you can wait a year, do.

Santa Clara grads tend to do well, but that's mostly through IP connections.  If you don't have a hard science background, don't believe the numbers.

Wait a year and reapply.  You will get into Hastings, and probably Davis as well.  You also have a decent shot at USC.  Not so sure about UCLA -- you may need a better LSAT score. 

If you want to stay in the Bay area and you can't get into Stanford or Boalt, Hastings is easily your best choice.  Also, if you're a resident, it's cheaper than Santa Clara or McGeorge.  Just wait a year.
J, if you didn't bring enough penis for everyone, you shouldn't have brought any penis at all. 

jamesgoldsack

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2007, 09:02:18 PM »
The temptation to get started now is growing as summer approaches but your advise is similar to what I had received from my family.  Thanks for the reply.

Astro

• LSD Obsessed
  • Happy birthday goalie!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2007, 09:08:43 PM »
You only go to law school once.  If you can wait, do it.

Good luck!
J, if you didn't bring enough penis for everyone, you shouldn't have brought any penis at all. 

jamesgoldsack

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2007, 09:57:42 PM »
 what about transferring?  I know its a pain but to most school accept transfers?

Roman815

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2007, 10:05:41 PM »
what about transferring?  I know its a pain but to most school accept transfers?

I agree, you should wait a year. You don't want to be kicking yourself later on for not going to a better school. If you want to have a better chance at USC/UCLA you can spend this time getting work experience and maybe even retake the LSAT. Don't worry, your job prospects will improve significantly by waiting a year.
University of San Diego School of Law Class of 2010!

LSN

SophistAKAted

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 23, 2007, 02:11:04 PM »
I think you should wait. You have good numbers. The most important thing to remember when applying is to do it early otherwise you will be at a disadvantage. I'm sure you'll get into those other schools if you apply early this time around. My friend had a 160 and like a 3.8 GPA and she just got into Harvard! Don't sell yourself short b/c your in a rush to go to law school. However, don't get me wrong, Santa Clara is an excellent school. You will not be at a disadvantage if you go there. But you may have better opportunites if you go to UCLA. Hope that helps some.

dbgirl

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
    • KnowTheTruth
« Reply #7 on: May 23, 2007, 02:19:39 PM »
I applied to law school very late in the game- around mid april- and the only schools still accepting apps were McGeorge and Santa Clara.  I have a 3.6 and a 165 and got offered 12k from sc and 15k from mcgeorge.  I have freinds with scores and grades lower than mine that got similar offers from these schools.  I was wondering if my late application was a reason for this.  Also, I am considering waiting a year and applying to Davis, Hastings, UCLA, and USC  were I could MAYBE get into but serve better prospects for the future.  I'm leaning toward Santa Clara does anyone know how grads there fair in the bay job market- I readthey get paid as well as some of the schools I mentioned but they are a low tier two. Any explanation?  Thanks for any help.

I wouldn't normally recommend waiting, but your numbers are high for Santa Clara and they should have offered you more $$. 

With those numbers you should be able to get into Hastings or Davis.
When you have somebody dying because they are poor and black or poor and white or because of whatever they are ... that erases everything that's great about this country.

-TMcGraw

http://www.wm3.org/splash.php

SophistAKAted

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 23, 2007, 02:24:05 PM »
 P.S. Another way I look at it is this: if you don't have acceptances from a higher ranked school that is not offering you any money you might be selling yourself a little short in the application process. Usually the schools that your too good for will offer you a great deal of money to give you an incentive to attend. So if you don't have an acceptance from a higher ranked school who is not offering you money than you probably could apply to a higher ranked school and get in. (If you apply early) When my friend got a full ride a Berkeley she figured she was worth more than she thought, so she applied to Harvard...that's when she got in, but without a scholarship. I hope you consider applying EARLY next cycle because I belive with your numbers you could get into those other schools. Hope this helps.