Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Deferring  (Read 577 times)

ě

• Sr. Citizen
  • non sequitur
    • View Profile
Deferring
« on: May 22, 2007, 07:07:59 PM »
Right, one thread I really didn't want to write, but anyway, seems I need some answers here, so I hope someone knows...

1) Is it possible to apply for a deferral of one year, or is this something that is only initiated on the school's behalf?
2) If yes to first, is it also possible to apply after having committed and paid seat deposits, or am I now past the point of no return?
3) By asking for a deferral, would I risk losing my current spot? I'm not exactly top of NYU's wishlist, maybe they'd rather drop me than postpone me...

I probably have other questions too, but too confused to remember them right now....

iscoredawaitlist

• Sr. Citizen
  • The beagle puppy of anticipation
    • View Profile
Re: Deferring
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2007, 07:12:10 PM »
Right, one thread I really didn't want to write, but anyway, seems I need some answers here, so I hope someone knows...

1) Is it possible to apply for a deferral of one year, or is this something that is only initiated on the school's behalf?
2) If yes to first, is it also possible to apply after having committed and paid seat deposits, or am I now past the point of no return?
3) By asking for a deferral, would I risk losing my current spot? I'm not exactly top of NYU's wishlist, maybe they'd rather drop me than postpone me...

I probably have other questions too, but too confused to remember them right now....

they can't rescind their offer just for asking. i'd give them a call about deferring. They may say no, but that's the worst that can happen. Oh, and I'd ask sooner rather than later.

fluorescent

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2007, 08:08:59 PM »
Deferring is definitely possible.  Most law schools allow you to defer anywhere from 1-2 years as a courtesy.  I've heard stories of people who've requested a deferral for multiple years (of course, a lot of these people eventually decide not to go to law school).

awesomepossum

• Sr. Citizen
  • Playing possum can go too far
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2007, 08:12:45 PM »
Schools often ask you what you plan to do with the extra time.  "Hang out at the beach" probably won't cut it.  But if you have a good reason, you probably have a good shot.
U.Michigan 2011 (deferred from '10)

ě

• Sr. Citizen
  • non sequitur
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2007, 08:14:09 PM »
Health reasons, so I assume that counts. While I could postpone it till after law school, I'd prefer to get it done as soon as possible. (Surgery with a rather long rehabilitation process).

lioness

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2007, 08:41:36 PM »
It can't hurt to ask, especially if you offer to provide a letter from your Dr. w/ information re: the long rehabilitation.