Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Should I take a speed reading course  (Read 716 times)

BYUgrad06

• View Profile
Should I take a speed reading course
« on: May 22, 2007, 06:45:34 PM »
When it comes to the LSAT, I have to constantly re-read as I suffer from sever anxiety.  This slows me down quite a bit.  After taking and cancelling the LSAT that I took last September I came up with the idea of taking a speed reading course to help boost my reading speed to save time on the LSAT.  Does anybody here think that it would really help me on the LSAT?  If so, what are some good resources I could use to boost my reading/comprehension speed (web sites, books, software/CDs?)? Thank You in advanced.

sg7007

• Sr. Citizen
    • MSN Messenger - sg7007@gmail.com
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Should I take a speed reading course
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2007, 06:53:11 PM »
When it comes to the LSAT, I have to constantly re-read as I suffer from sever anxiety.  This slows me down quite a bit.

One of my American friends took the speed reading courses. I'm not sure how many of those speed reading courses are out there, but assuming they're the same sort of crappy things, you shouldn't take the classes. Trust me. Nobody reads more slowly than I do. I've lived here for less than 2 years and I never saw anyone reading more slowly than me. I'm like a handicapped athlete competing in the regular olympics. But, I can still finish RC in time though I get only 18 or 19 correct.(I know it's not a good score.) My problem is not speed, it's comprehending the texts. You should work on how to be logical, and how to comprehend most of the things without losing the context. If you can do that, I don't think you need that crappy speed reading courses. They don't cure your anxiety problem.

BYUgrad06

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2007, 06:58:47 PM »
I was actually wanting it for the LR section as well.  When I took the Sep test I didn't finish the LR section because I kept having to reread.

lovethelaw2010

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2007, 06:59:35 PM »
no

sg7007

• Sr. Citizen
    • MSN Messenger - sg7007@gmail.com
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2007, 07:02:48 PM »
I was actually wanting it for the LR section as well.  When I took the Sep test I didn't finish the LR section because I kept having to reread.

Yeah, I'm pretty sure your reading speed is way faster than me. But, if you have to re-read things, that might significantly slow you down. That's why you couldn't finish the section. Again, I guess you should work on the LSAT itself, and your comprehending ability. After all this is a standardized test, and you are able to learn it.

n/a

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2007, 07:05:39 PM »
Im done with LSAT, but I got this advice before I start law school... would a speed reading course really help me out for LS?

kevbar29

• AOL Instant Messenger - kevbar29
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: May 22, 2007, 07:28:53 PM »
I'm using the Eye-Q computer program (google it). Personally, it's helped me out a lot because I used to have trouble finishing RC and LR in time. But be careful, with any speed-reading program you have to focus on actually remembering what you read (not just blazing through words as fast as you can). What makes it even tougher for the LSAT is that you also have to understand argument strucutre while under time constraints. Your speed for doing this will rise, though, just not as fast as your WPM.
Fall 08: Georgetown or BU (30k/yr)

just call me elle

• Sr. Citizen
  • pink, puppies, Crimson, and I belong together
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 22, 2007, 08:04:10 PM »
I'm using the Eye-Q computer program (google it). Personally, it's helped me out a lot because I used to have trouble finishing RC and LR in time. But be careful, with any speed-reading program you have to focus on actually remembering what you read (not just blazing through words as fast as you can). What makes it even tougher for the LSAT is that you also have to understand argument strucutre while under time constraints. Your speed for doing this will rise, though, just not as fast as your WPM.

agreed - given the emphasis of RC on actually understanding/critiquing what you've read, speed reading could actually be detrimental. it seems more worthwhile to focus on your anxiety. maybe reading the questions before the section would help you focus.

mr

• Sr. Citizen
  • "You're going to cure death? MUAHAHAHA...doubt it"
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 22, 2007, 10:04:42 PM »
Has it occurred to anyone that the problem is reading too fast? I mean, you say you have to reread everything; have you tried slowing down?

ě

• Sr. Citizen
  • non sequitur
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 22, 2007, 10:11:08 PM »
For the RC I'd definitely say no. You don't have short time, as long as you read efficiently.

Even in general, I've had a few friends trying different types of speed reading techniques, and they've been pretty much unison about it being a scam or at the very least a waste of time and money.