Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Your last chance to save yourself  (Read 6168 times)

DDBY

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: Your last chance to save yourself
« Reply #90 on: May 23, 2007, 01:42:20 PM »
This is scary.

I am in at Gonzaga, mainly because of the scholaraship i received.

It is t3 and their mean starting salary is around 52K, but they have solid employment and bar passage rates.  I always assumed that the lower salary was because they have public service grads and grads who go to smaller communities (Boise, Spokane, etc) to practice.  I would most likely return home to Portland, where starting salaries would probably be 70K or so.

Still, this is sobering.  My last chance to not go... guess I will really be prepared for what I am getting myself into.
Yea, take into consideration where you want to practice, and if your school has a good rep there.  Statistic about a regional school in Idaho/Washington don't help me because I'm from Philly, and plan to return here to practice. Our cost of living here is different.

john jacob

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: May 23, 2007, 01:50:26 PM »
This is scary.

I am in at Gonzaga, mainly because of the scholaraship i received.

It is t3 and their mean starting salary is around 52K, but they have solid employment and bar passage rates.  I always assumed that the lower salary was because they have public service grads and grads who go to smaller communities (Boise, Spokane, etc) to practice.  I would most likely return home to Portland, where starting salaries would probably be 70K or so.

Still, this is sobering.  My last chance to not go... guess I will really be prepared for what I am getting myself into.

I know of a gonzaga grad. He works in Wenatchee as a prosecutor, makes 65-70k a year. It can be done.

but yeah, I really really advise against going to a t4 at full price.

vap

• Sr. Citizen
  • Attorney
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: May 23, 2007, 03:37:43 PM »
IU-B
-----------------------
Total graduates: 209
Graduates known to be employed at graduation: 86.1%
Private sector (25th-75th percentile): $72,000 - $105,000
Median in the private sector: $85,000
Percent in the private sector who reported salary information: 70%
Median in public service: $50,000

Not bad for a tier 2, but don't get your hopes up for biglaw.

Where are the people going to a crappy tier 2? The ones with $65,000 median salary and 40% unemployed at graduation?

*raises hand* I think Mercer's numbers are worse than those.

Yankees Fan

• Sr. Citizen
    • AOL Instant Messenger - Ask+me
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: May 23, 2007, 04:00:12 PM »
Tag
USD 2010

GloveDoesntFit

• If the glove doesn't fit, you must acquit!
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: June 27, 2007, 11:13:39 AM »
IU-B
-----------------------
Total graduates: 209
Graduates known to be employed at graduation: 86.1%
Private sector (25th-75th percentile): $72,000 - $105,000
Median in the private sector: $85,000
Percent in the private sector who reported salary information: 70%
Median in public service: $50,000

Not bad for a tier 2, but don't get your hopes up for biglaw.

Where are the people going to a crappy tier 2? The ones with $65,000 median salary and 40% unemployed at graduation?

*raises hand* I think Mercer's numbers are worse than those.
I'll just pass this along without comment and you can draw your own conclusions:

Nancy Grace went to Mercer.
"Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere." - Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr.

knicksfan0323

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: June 27, 2007, 12:05:36 PM »
I love these antagonistic threads, they are a great way to pass the time at work.

I'll admit it - I'm partially in it for the money. But only for the fact that I will definitely make more than I do now with my lowly UG degree. But its more than that, I want a challenging job!

john jacob

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: June 27, 2007, 02:10:49 PM »
Nancy Grace is an embarrassment, definitely one of the worst television personalities ever. god, I hope law school women are not like her.

knicksfan0323

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: June 27, 2007, 03:11:39 PM »
Nancy Grace is an embarrassment, definitely one of the worst television personalities ever. god, I hope law school women are not like her.

She really gives a bad name to us female lawyers...Isn't funny how a lot of those "big name" attorneys didn't go to top notch schools. I looked up Debra Opri (the one from the Anna Nicole Smith saga) went to Whittier

jd06

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: June 27, 2007, 03:26:28 PM »

She really gives a bad name to us female lawyers...Isn't funny how a lot of those "big name" attorneys didn't go to top notch schools. I looked up Debra Opri (the one from the Anna Nicole Smith saga) went to Whittier

I'd say Nancy Grace simply carries with her the typical prosecutorial perspective. i.e. guilty until proven innocent.  Typical for both male and female DA's.  Doesn't mean she's a bad lawyer, it's just the culture of the office.   

And I think the reason you see lots of "name" lawyers from lower tiered schools is because they're often criminal and family law attorneys (like Opri).  Many of the legal elite consider this to be slumming.  I practice family law with lots and lots of great T4 attorneys and the defining characteristic seems to be that, while maybe it began as our "in" into the legal profession, most of us really enjoy the work.