Law School Discussion

Your last chance to save yourself

Re: Your last chance to save yourself
« Reply #30 on: May 21, 2007, 11:20:05 PM »
there are many place online where one can view salary info.

Going to American? Their stats:

Total graduates: 555
Graduates known to be employed at graduation: 83.4%
Starting Salaries (2005 Graduates Employed Full-time)
Private sector (25th-75th percentile): $52,000 - $125,000
Median in the private sector: $80,000
Percent in the private sector who reported salary information: 79%
Median in public service: $48,000

Not bad for a tier 2, but compare it to a much cheaper tier 1 school like GMU.

Total graduates: 234
Graduates known to be employed at graduation: 96.5%
Private sector (25th-75th percentile): $61,250 - $125,000
Median in the private sector: $101,250
Percent in the private sector who reported salary information: 64%
Median in public service: $52,468

1. how do you define teir 1 and 2?

i usually say top 50 equals teir 1
51-100 is tier 2
then 3 and 4

this is also how usn news and world report defines it..that puts american in teir 1 (currently ranked 47..last year ranked 43)

2.  its not clear that i will end up at American..in fact ive been waitlisted at GMU..you probly know this and are trying to make me anxious about it..which is why you chose to compare American and GMU...

how in character

actually..my parents are paying for law school..my top choice is UMD..and i hope to do public sector work.

3.  GMU out of state (i am..most ppl are) is 27k a year american is 35k a year...that is cheaper but "much" cheaper?

you are right about the cost of American though..something of an anomally even for a private school...its close ot the top 10 most expensive schools despite being a non T14 school

Interesting. Might I ask though-- where is the ILRG getting their data?

« Reply #31 on: May 21, 2007, 11:28:22 PM »
1.  are you kidding me...the money spent now will have an impact on my inheritance (and please not to inherit anytime soon!!)..but its impossible to know how much..when..or how important that will be in the distant future...especially some amount as the difference of 30 or so thou now...several decades from now when im established...

further..my inheritance will at least be split between me and my sis (and taxed)...this is one way to have it spent on me right now (heck my sis even joked this to me the other day)

2.  look up the facts (this is a theme here)

http://www.law.gmu.edu/admission/money.html

tutition and fees out of state (about 27k)
in state (about 16 k)

resxidencey...im not sure but i can tell you that most..if not all states have requirements that make a real and meaningful distinction between out and in state...

usually..if you mus live in the state for a year (theoretically this could be accomplished in for the second and third years..BUT

they usually also make ineligible anyone relying on an out of state income for their main income (my wonderful family)...so that would be out....

i know this from being familiar with the rules fore my home state MD

« Reply #32 on: May 21, 2007, 11:30:55 PM »
establishing residency isn't that hard... actually, I'd recommend it to anyone who applies to a state school. Ideally, find a paralegal position in the state whose school you want to attend... what matters is if you've been a resident for one year prior to entrance, not application, which is a huge difference. So yes, it is very possible.

« Reply #33 on: May 21, 2007, 11:35:15 PM »
there are many place online where one can view salary info.

Going to American? Their stats:

Total graduates: 555
Graduates known to be employed at graduation: 83.4%
Private sector (25th-75th percentile): $52,000 - $125,000
Median in the private sector: $80,000
Percent in the private sector who reported salary information: 79%
Median in public service: $48,000

Not bad for a tier 2, but compare it to a much cheaper tier 1 school like GMU.

Total graduates: 234
Graduates known to be employed at graduation: 96.5%
Private sector (25th-75th percentile): $61,250 - $125,000
Median in the private sector: $101,250
Percent in the private sector who reported salary information: 64%
Median in public service: $52,468

1. how do you define teir 1 and 2?

i usually say top 50 equals teir 1
51-100 is tier 2
then 3 and 4

this is also how usn news and world report defines it..that puts american in teir 1 (currently ranked 47..last year ranked 43)

2.  its not clear that i will end up at American..in fact ive been waitlisted at GMU..you probly know this and are trying to make me anxious about it..which is why you chose to compare American and GMU...

how in character

actually..my parents are paying for law school..my top choice is UMD..and i hope to do public sector work.

3.  GMU out of state (i am..most ppl are) is 27k a year american is 35k a year...that is cheaper but "much" cheaper?

you are right about the cost of American though..something of an anomally even for a private school...its close ot the top 10 most expensive schools despite being a non T14 school

Interesting. Might I ask though-- where is the ILRG getting their data?

law schools release this salary info and the number of people who report their salaries form their private sector jobs...they do this every year on feb 15 for the class that graduated before..its sometimes/usually available on their websites...but almost always available by request.

my guess is
ILRG has done the leg work and brought it together for you ILRG neglects to metion the % reporting their private sector salaries...but you can get this from USN and ILRG does the work of ranking it.

in fact this is where NALP gets its some of its info..http://www.nalp.org/store/details.php?prod_id=10

« Reply #34 on: May 21, 2007, 11:42:32 PM »
establishing residency isn't that hard... actually, I'd recommend it to anyone who applies to a state school. Ideally, find a paralegal position in the state whose school you want to attend... what matters is if you've been a resident for one year prior to entrance, not application, which is a huge difference. So yes, it is very possible.

MD requires that more that 50% of your income be from a in state source..if your parents help you with school..your usually out..b.c they usually contribute more than you.

MD has litigated the question of whether scholarships to the state school count as income for this purpose...the result has been that Maryland states' case was lost but the states may have won this argument in other states.
cf bergmann v board of regents http://www.courts.state.md.us/opinions/cosa/2006/975s04.pdf
and frankel v board of regents http://www.courts.state.md.us/opinions/coa/2000/26a99.pdf

« Reply #35 on: May 22, 2007, 12:28:59 AM »

MD requires that more that 50% of your income be from a in state source..if your parents help you with school..your usually out..b.c they usually contribute more than you.

MD has litigated the question of whether scholarships to the state school count as income for this purpose...the result has been that Maryland states' case was lost but the states may have won this argument in other states.
cf bergmann v board of regents http://www.courts.state.md.us/opinions/cosa/2006/975s04.pdf
and frankel v board of regents http://www.courts.state.md.us/opinions/coa/2000/26a99.pdf

okay, I was just basing my statement on a conversation I had with a Temple admissions officer this morning.

« Reply #36 on: May 22, 2007, 12:30:49 AM »
and I should add-- your parents can always help you out with loans after you graduate. In which case, find a job in MD, pursue other interests if you can (you know, that novel...), then apply for in-state.

« Reply #37 on: May 22, 2007, 12:34:24 AM »

okay, I was just basing my statement on a conversation I had with a Temple admissions officer this morning.

cool..dont worry i didn't think you were a troll or anything

Journeyman

• The road to life.
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: May 22, 2007, 05:11:42 AM »
i'm still waiting for someone to explain why they think there's a huge gap between georgetown and ucla or whatever's #15 at the moment.  side-by-side stats comparison?

#14 Georgetown
#15 UCLA

Acceptance

GT  21%
UCLA 18%

LSAT 

GT  167-171
UCLA 162-169

GPA

GT  3.47-3.82
UCLA 3.44-3.8

Student faculty ratio

GT   14.5
UCLA  12.5

Median Salary (private)

GT  125K
UCLA 125K

25/75

GT  125K/125K
UCLA  95K/135K

Employment at Graduation

GT  95.5%
UCLA 96.8%

Oh yeah, and did I forget to mention...UCLA is PUBLIC   GT is PRIVATE

GT is clearly SOOOO much better than lowly #15 UCLA...

"T14" is...crap elitism by crap elitists.

Thistle

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: May 22, 2007, 05:40:11 AM »
ah, the zoo is open again!

back away from the monkey cage, folks, or you'll get spattered with poo.