Law School Discussion

Poll

Are stay-at-home mothers with  graduate degrees conscientious caretakers or the downfall of equality in the workforce?

Educated stay-at-home mothers raise educated kids, benefiting society
28 (35.4%)
Mothers should work part-time if possible
10 (12.7%)
Mothers should be full-time 3-6 months after birth
6 (7.6%)
Anything less than full-time is a detriment to all women and society
5 (6.3%)
Doesn't affect society or equality either way
30 (38%)

Total Members Voted: 79

The Mommy Wars for J.D.s

pikey

• Did ya do it? Then why are ya sorry?
    • View Profile
Re: The Mommy Wars for J.D.s
« Reply #90 on: June 13, 2007, 06:10:07 AM »
If you're not yet a parent, then anything you say is merely blabbering anyhow

Right.  'Cause it's the parents (no wait, mothers! no wait, single mothers!) who control maternity and leave and flex-time policies.

Exactly!  :D

You may want to think about the implications of archival's post.

What makes you think I didn't?  I am not a single mother- But I had a wonderful maternity leave package and I was the person controlling such things. :)

::)

boo!

« Reply #91 on: June 13, 2007, 10:26:28 AM »
 ;D

Ellis

« Reply #92 on: June 13, 2007, 03:27:32 PM »
As a highly educated stay at home mother, let me explain from an interested party's perspective.  I have a BS in Accounting, MA in Human Resource Development.  I started off in the Army, got out to raise my daughters, while my husband still serves, and each tax season, I work for 3 1/2 months just to have super summer vacations.  My daughters are 5 and 2 years old, and they both are smarter, more developed, and more mannerable than most kids they come in contact with.  I attribute this to my ability to be at home with them and teach them necessary life skills, instead of waiting on a daycare provider or kindergarten teacher to do it.  My 5 year old is reading and adding, and doesn't start kindergarten until August.  I have battled in my own mind for the past few years about my useless existance, because I knew I wanted to be working, or at least in law school fulfilling my dreams. But until reading this topic, I didn't really appreciate the great job I have done along with the other ladies in the elite group of stay at home moms.  We are not highly paid, but we are highly rewarded!! 

jillibean

• I'm the pretty one.
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: June 13, 2007, 06:24:33 PM »
So let me start by saying that I haven't read the first 9 pages of this thread.
My opinion is that women who have degrees and don't use them are a waste- just like men who dont use theirs are a waste. I would hope that they see it as something to fall back on or use it to help their children. I plan on having a large clan of my own. I have only one right now but I couldn't be a stay at home mom for one minute. I admire any mother who can do that. To me, working outside the home is less work than working in it.

boo!

« Reply #94 on: June 18, 2007, 05:19:19 PM »
As a highly educated stay at home mother, let me explain from an interested party's perspective.  I have a BS in Accounting, MA in Human Resource Development.  I started off in the Army, got out to raise my daughters, while my husband still serves, and each tax season, I work for 3 1/2 months just to have super summer vacations.  My daughters are 5 and 2 years old, and they both are smarter, more developed, and more mannerable than most kids they come in contact with.  I attribute this to my ability to be at home with them and teach them necessary life skills, instead of waiting on a daycare provider or kindergarten teacher to do it.  My 5 year old is reading and adding, and doesn't start kindergarten until August.  I have battled in my own mind for the past few years about my useless existance, because I knew I wanted to be working, or at least in law school fulfilling my dreams. But until reading this topic, I didn't really appreciate the great job I have done along with the other ladies in the elite group of stay at home moms.  We are not highly paid, but we are highly rewarded!! 
Kudo's to you!  When both of your daughter's are in full-time school, you will likely work, correct?

naturallybeyoutiful

• Everything is everything
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: June 18, 2007, 07:57:39 PM »
Kudo's to you!  When both of your daughter's are in full-time school, you will likely work, correct?

And if she doesn't?  ;)

TwinkyBean

• It's Yellow.
    • AOL Instant Messenger - TwinkyBean
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: June 18, 2007, 08:05:11 PM »
So let me start by saying that I haven't read the first 9 pages of this thread.
My opinion is that women who have degrees and don't use them are a waste- just like men who dont use theirs are a waste. I would hope that they see it as something to fall back on or use it to help their children. I plan on having a large clan of my own. I have only one right now but I couldn't be a stay at home mom for one minute. I admire any mother who can do that. To me, working outside the home is less work than working in it.

I've been a stay at home mom for the past three years (and going to school) and I'm ready to get a degree and a job. I dont plan on having any more children anytime soon, so I think it's definitely time to start thinking about a career... I have worked in the past and I know that working at home is definitely tougher than a "real" job!... And much more stressful too!.. There's no 9-5ing it for stay at moms!..
But, when I get my degree, I fully intend on using it, and maybe in a few years I'll take a break from it all and go back to being a mommy!... Its the definitely the most rewarding job I've ever done!...Even though at times it seems like I'm the only one who knows I'm doing it!

(My lil girl just came over and kissed my arm... SO sweet!.. I think that means I need to get off here and put her to bed!:)

Ellis

« Reply #97 on: June 19, 2007, 05:51:05 AM »
Thanks.  I plan on working after law school.  Both of my children will be in school by then.  What makes it all worthwhile is when my child overhears me tell my sister that when my kid gets in the third grade and has to write about why she is proud of her mom, and she can't think of anything, I will be upset.  So my daughter comes to me and says, "I will write about how proud I am that you taught me how to read."  You gotta love it.

boo!

« Reply #98 on: June 19, 2007, 06:35:31 AM »

And if she doesn't?  ;)

I already stated what I thought about those that don't- see here http://www.lawschooldiscussion.org/prelaw/index.php/topic,88524.105.html 2nd post down :)

Ellis

« Reply #99 on: June 19, 2007, 11:56:15 AM »
I went back and read your OPINION, and it left out the most important aspects of being a stay at home mom.  You focused on being a homemaker, which is vastly different by any definition than a stay at home mom.  What in your schedule focused on the children-the main reason for staying at home?  Have you ever tried fixing a meal without burning it while your baby wants to be held?  Have you tried mopping a floor while two kids run through the house?  Or maybe sitting on your butt to play or color with your kids?  Watching a soap opera, Oprah, The View are only DVR options when your kids want to watch Nickelodeon, or the Disney channel.  But of course I could send them in another room to be unattended, while I watch what I want, but then am I parenting or babysitting?  Get a grip.  Working outside of the home is a freaking break from life in my household.  Maybe you haven't been away from yours kids for weeks or months at the time while you serve your country in the military.  I have!  SO, while I respect and appreciate you wonderful experience as a homemaker, I found being a stay at home mom very challenging and rewarding.  If I decide never to use my degrees, so that I can raise beautiful, responsible, well rounded, mannerable, and intelligent children in a world that is so mean and places tons of pressure on children, then I am totally okay with that. ;)