Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: I had mono...  (Read 1380 times)

bean22

• View Profile
I had mono...
« on: May 21, 2007, 02:08:35 PM »
Spring quarter of my sophomore year I withdrew about a week into the quarter because I came down with mono (well, I probably had it for about 6 months prior but, because of medication that typically makes me tired, I didn't realize I was sick until my glands started swelling that week and I thought I had an ear infection). It is not a hardship withdrawal since it was only a week into the quarter and the date of the withdrawal is noted on my transcript (though, the date of the quarter beginning is not).

Should I write an addendum on this?

And for those of you who have done similar, what did you say? Thanks!

bean22

• View Profile
Re: I had mono...
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2007, 12:10:34 PM »
I'm not even sure they will see the withdraw on the transcript. From what I understand, most schools, save the law school at my own undergrad, will only see the academic summary.

I'm just concerned that if they do see it, they will question why I decided to take a quarter off, without explanation (since its not a "hardship withdraw"). I'd rather tell them I got mono, as common as it is, and leave it at that than they think I was being stupid/slacking/etc.

Thanks for the advice, I'm less concerned about it now :)

darlinalexi

• Sr. Citizen
  • Southwestern Class of 2010
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2007, 01:00:33 PM »
I would write an addendum... I have Epstein- Barr (basically mutated chronic mono).... I wrote an addendum to explain the dip in my grades until I got it under control.

TrashCat

• Sr. Citizen
  • My job requires a certain... moral flexibility.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2007, 01:02:43 PM »
Quote from: Wayne Campbell
I once thought I had mono for an entire year. It turned out I was just really bored.

SilentSwirl

• Sr. Citizen
  • Summer!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2007, 01:08:21 PM »
I second Cal's advice, but I have to say I think almost everyone gets Mono sometime during undergrad so I wouldn't expect too much of a boost coming from it.

Wow, I have only met one person in UG who had mono...

Anyway, I dont think the OP is looking so much for a boost as not to be penalized.

UFBoldAsLove

• Sr. Citizen
  • Go Gators.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2007, 03:47:42 PM »
I would write an addendum... I have Epstein- Barr (basically mutated chronic mono).... I wrote an addendum to explain the dip in my grades until I got it under control.

Me too. And it flared up this past semester, which is why I got 3 B+'s, before that I barely had ANY Bs at all.  >:( But I know thats not enough of a dip to merit an addendum, so whatever.
Vandy 1L... really?

darlinalexi

• Sr. Citizen
  • Southwestern Class of 2010
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 22, 2007, 05:02:01 PM »

Me too. And it flared up this past semester, which is why I got 3 B+'s, before that I barely had ANY Bs at all.  >:( But I know thats not enough of a dip to merit an addendum, so whatever.

Wow... it's awesome to find someone else who has it... It got bad my fall semester and I missed a ton of work and classes... PM me sometime because I'd love to see what your experience with doctors and stuff has been like...

WeeSqueak

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 22, 2007, 08:02:03 PM »
I'm a proponent of addendum's.  I would much rather have the adcomm know I took a quarter off because I was sick rather than  was just being a slacker.  I think it shows maturity that you made a decision to do what seemed right at the time.

bean22

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 22, 2007, 08:35:54 PM »
You guys are the best!

As for mono being common in college, I'm not surprised. Nearly everyone I knew had the virus by the time they graduated - they either got it in college (and mostly around the time I was diagnosed - really makes me wonder) or were infected prior and didn't get it again (note: I've had two friends get it twice against doctor's opinions that couldn't happen....)

Thanks again for the advice :)

beeker

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 23, 2007, 08:59:36 AM »
You guys are the best!

As for mono being common in college, I'm not surprised. Nearly everyone I knew had the virus by the time they graduated - they either got it in college (and mostly around the time I was diagnosed - really makes me wonder) or were infected prior and didn't get it again (note: I've had two friends get it twice against doctor's opinions that couldn't happen....)

Thanks again for the advice :)

Aren't there two types of mono?  I think one is just a lot more rare, making it very unlikely that you will get it again...either that or there is only one type but most people build up the antibodies and only get it once.