Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: How do you address an attorney?  (Read 1590 times)

Last King of Edinburgh

• Sr. Citizen
  • Born to rule
    • View Profile
Re: How do you address an attorney?
« Reply #10 on: May 21, 2007, 02:28:50 PM »
I'd like to be called Reverend. But on a more serious note, ask the attorney. The ones I know say it really does not matter although my advisor has always got a J.D attached to her name.
Washington University School of Law 2010

badgerlaw

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 21, 2007, 02:41:04 PM »
I have a question that is somewhat related to this thread...an attorney who is an alum of the school where I have been waitlisted informed me that he sent a LOR (unsolicited) on my behalf after directly to the law school, but it didn't include the official LSAC LOR form.  Is this something that I need to address with the admissions office, or is it ok to have LOR's bypass the LSAC at this stage in the cycle?

Last King of Edinburgh

• Sr. Citizen
  • Born to rule
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 21, 2007, 02:44:28 PM »
I have a question that is somewhat related to this thread...an attorney who is an alum of the school where I have been waitlisted informed me that he sent a LOR (unsolicited) on my behalf after directly to the law school, but it didn't include the official LSAC LOR form.  Is this something that I need to address with the admissions office, or is it ok to have LOR's bypass the LSAC at this stage in the cycle?

I've had two sent to my most pressing WL's. Both bypassed LSAC. At this point in the cycle, LSAC takes the back seat.
Washington University School of Law 2010

jer

• LSD Obsessed
  • i likes gold chapstick
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 21, 2007, 02:46:14 PM »
I have a question that is somewhat related to this thread...an attorney who is an alum of the school where I have been waitlisted informed me that he sent a LOR (unsolicited) on my behalf after directly to the law school, but it didn't include the official LSAC LOR form. Is this something that I need to address with the admissions office, or is it ok to have LOR's bypass the LSAC at this stage in the cycle?

the biggest thing going through LSAC does is it makes the LOR available to all of the programs you apply to.
since you're just wanting to get in off the waitlist at this particular program, sending the LOR directly to them is fine since them seeing it is all that matters. 

Bubbazzz

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: May 21, 2007, 02:51:02 PM »
Mr. John Smith, Esq.

JD is bad form - dont use it.

iscoredawaitlist

• Sr. Citizen
  • The beagle puppy of anticipation
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: May 21, 2007, 02:58:57 PM »

I've had two sent to my most pressing WL's. Both bypassed LSAC. At this point in the cycle, LSAC takes the back seat.

interestingly enough, when i called vanderbilt to ask where to send my transcript now that i've graduated, they said to just do it through LSAC. The other three schools i want to accept me off the wait list i sent directly.

mathlete

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 21, 2007, 02:59:08 PM »
"Dear John Smith, PhD MD MBA JD"

RedWine

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 21, 2007, 03:00:30 PM »
Mr. John Smith, Esq.

I work in a field where we need to know and use proper salutation etiquette or bad things happen, and not to be a smart-ass, but you never use a "Mr/Mrs/Ms" salutation when you use Esq.  The proper form would be:

John Smith, Esq.
Address

Dear Mr. Smith,

pastor of muppets

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 21, 2007, 03:16:20 PM »
I think they are generally used to being addressed with thinly veiled contempt.   ;D

Thistle

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 21, 2007, 03:25:16 PM »
Mr. John Smith, Esq.

I work in a field where we need to know and use proper salutation etiquette or bad things happen, and not to be a smart-ass, but you never use a "Mr/Mrs/Ms" salutation when you use Esq.  The proper form would be:

John Smith, Esq.
Address

Dear Mr. Smith,

are you sure it wouldnt be

"Dear Squire Smith"
non ex transverso sed deorsum

JD