Re: Bill Maher? Yay or Nay?
« Reply #20 on: November 08, 2004, 04:56:35 PM »
yay.  i think he is funny.

Elaine

• "Sweet fancy Moses"
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 08, 2004, 05:56:01 PM »
Yeah, Simpson went nuts. But later in the show. Maher had his ass handed to him by Andrew Sullivan for asking Chomsky the whimpiest, soft-ball questions, and not calling him on his claim that the Bush administration should be tried for war crimes (with no call for Saddam to be tried for war crimes).

...and Bill Maher is a comedian. Making fun of people is what he does and he's not obligated to ask tough questions.

Spallenzani

• Proud to be a moran
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #22 on: November 08, 2004, 06:32:07 PM »
Yeah, Simpson went nuts. But later in the show. Maher had his ass handed to him by Andrew Sullivan for asking Chomsky the whimpiest, soft-ball questions, and not calling him on his claim that the Bush administration should be tried for war crimes (with no call for Saddam to be tried for war crimes).

...and Bill Maher is a comedian. Making fun of people is what he does and he's not obligated to ask tough questions.

Yeah, and John Stewert pulled the same shtick when he was on Crossfire. The thing is, this "But I'm just an innocent comedian!" excuse is all well and good, but it by asking tough questions to conservatives while at the same time sucking the balls of any lefties, it makes Stewert's and Maher's biases a little too obvious. They would be funnier if they were equal opportunity offenders, instead of just partisan hacks. And I say that as someone who generally prefers the left over the right.

Elaine

• "Sweet fancy Moses"
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 08, 2004, 07:14:40 PM »
Well he didn't exactly ask his friend Ann Coulter any biting questions a few weeks ago. I just find it ridiculous that people get all bent out of shape about comedians not asking tough questions or showing biases yet there's not a lot of outrage at "legitimate" news people that do much (if not more) of the same. It's entertainment and it's real sad that these types of shows are a major source of political "news" for a large number of people.

Your right it would be better if it were more equal, but we can't even get that from CNN, MSNBC, Fox, etc. The irony of the Jon Stewart Crossfire was that the two biggest partisan ball lickers on TV were trying to lecture him. The only time those two guys can ask tough questions is if they are talking to someone on the opposite side. I'd love for Carlson to have to ask some tough questions of a Republican and Begala of a Democrat.

Yeah, and John Stewert pulled the same shtick when he was on Crossfire. The thing is, this "But I'm just an innocent comedian!" excuse is all well and good, but it by asking tough questions to conservatives while at the same time sucking the balls of any lefties, it makes Stewert's and Maher's biases a little too obvious. They would be funnier if they were equal opportunity offenders, instead of just partisan hacks. And I say that as someone who generally prefers the left over the right.

Spallenzani

• Proud to be a moran
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #24 on: November 08, 2004, 07:27:27 PM »
Well he didn't exactly ask his friend Ann Coulter any biting questions a few weeks ago. I just find it ridiculous that people get all bent out of shape about comedians not asking tough questions or showing biases yet there's not a lot of outrage at "legitimate" news people that do much (if not more) of the same. It's entertainment and it's real sad that these types of shows are a major source of political "news" for a large number of people.

Your right it would be better if it were more equal, but we can't even get that from CNN, MSNBC, Fox, etc. The irony of the Jon Stewart Crossfire was that the two biggest partisan ball lickers on TV were trying to lecture him. The only time those two guys can ask tough questions is if they are talking to someone on the opposite side. I'd love for Carlson to have to ask some tough questions of a Republican and Begala of a Democrat.

True, Maher always gives Coulter a free ride, ever since his show on ABC. I have two theories to explain this: 1) Maher has a crush on Coulter and 2) Coulter is so insane she makes herself look like an idiot and doesn't need any help from Maher.

In general, I apply the same standards to regular news people who claim to be objective.   But people like Begala and Carlson admit they are partisan, so you can't blaim them for calling Stewert on denying he is partisan.

Elaine

• "Sweet fancy Moses"
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: November 08, 2004, 08:33:26 PM »

True, Maher always gives Coulter a free ride, ever since his show on ABC. I have two theories to explain this: 1) Maher has a crush on Coulter and 2) Coulter is so insane she makes herself look like an idiot and doesn't need any help from Maher.

In general, I apply the same standards to regular news people who claim to be objective.   But people like Begala and Carlson admit they are partisan, so you can't blaim them for calling Stewert on denying he is partisan.

Ha, yeah I agree with your theories on Ann Coulter. I'm sure you really care whether I agree with you or not ;) . It's amazing that she gets air time as a serious pundit.

I hear what you are saying about Begala and Carlson as admitted partisans since that's the whole deal with the show. I take the opposite view though in that I have a really hard time listening to them lecturing anyone on being biased because they are so partisan.

Spallenzani

• Proud to be a moran
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #26 on: November 08, 2004, 09:09:12 PM »

Ha, yeah I agree with your theories on Ann Coulter. I'm sure you really care whether I agree with you or not ;) . It's amazing that she gets air time as a serious pundit.

I hear what you are saying about Begala and Carlson as admitted partisans since that's the whole deal with the show. I take the opposite view though in that I have a really hard time listening to them lecturing anyone on being biased because they are so partisan.

I only saw their gig with Stewert once, but were they lecturing him on being biased, or on not admitting he is biased? I don't have a problem with bias as long as people are open about it.

Elaine

• "Sweet fancy Moses"
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 08, 2004, 09:40:26 PM »

I only saw their gig with Stewert once, but were they lecturing him on being biased, or on not admitting he is biased? I don't have a problem with bias as long as people are open about it.

It's been a while but what stuck in my mind was Carlson criticizing Stewart for not asking Kerry any "tough" questions when Kerry appeared on the Daily Show. Carlson said something to the effect that Stewart had the opportunity to not be Kerry's "butt boy" but he chose not to. I can't say that I've watched a lot of the Daily Show but I have seen episodes with democratic and republican guests and with guests from the media (Ted Koppel and Wolf Blitzer). I don't think he asked any of them any "tough" questions. They seemed more like the type of interviews you'd see from Letterman or Leno which is why I thought the criticism was absurd (not meaning your criticism just the criticism of these comedians in general).