Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Lenovo vs. thoseotherguys  (Read 57270 times)

Special Agent Dana Scully

• LSD Obsessed
  • aka MCB
    • View Profile
Re: Lenovo vs. thoseotherguys
« Reply #630 on: July 13, 2007, 11:28:09 PM »
for those of you that ordered ur thinkpads with some form of vista--did the cd come with it?
Columbia 3L

• LSD Obsessed
  • aka MCB
    • View Profile
« Reply #631 on: July 13, 2007, 11:38:38 PM »
for those of you that ordered ur thinkpads with some form of vista--did the cd come with it?

per the latest MSFT policy it shouldn't have.

msft?

and i just looked thru the checklist so i realized that everything is there...i'm just wondering about it bc i posted upthread that i was going to take off vista and instal xp pro...so just wanted to have vista ready to go when the kinks got worked out.
Columbia 3L

• LSD Obsessed
  • aka MCB
    • View Profile
« Reply #632 on: July 13, 2007, 11:46:33 PM »
msft?

and i just looked thru the checklist so i realized that everything is there...i'm just wondering about it bc i posted upthread that i was going to take off vista and instal xp pro...so just wanted to have vista ready to go when the kinks got worked out.

note to self: law school requires different type of geek-speak.

msft = microsoft.  i believe they instituted a policy whereby you don't recieve install disks for any OEM versions of vista.

ah...ty.

so if i uninstall vista and install xp pro--and then want to go back to vista once cls gives the go ahead, can i do that w/o disks?
Columbia 3L

Texas2L

• Sr. Citizen
  • Texas
    • View Profile
« Reply #633 on: July 13, 2007, 11:54:30 PM »
My T61 has a "restore" partition on the HD, it's about 7 gigs and can supposedly restore it to how they shipped it out using the restore CD to boot from.  It's kind of a pain considering they could have put that crap on a DVD rather than using my HD space, but who cares 100 gigs goes a long way.

• LSD Obsessed
  • aka MCB
    • View Profile
« Reply #634 on: July 14, 2007, 12:03:14 AM »
thanks to the both of you for entertaining my possibly ridiculous questions.  i'll just talk this over with my mom's friend and see what he says.

thanks again!
Columbia 3L

Texas2L

• Sr. Citizen
  • Texas
    • View Profile
« Reply #635 on: July 14, 2007, 12:14:30 AM »
Yea if you're installing XP you can just nuke that partition and get your space back.  I'm fine with Vista as it is right now though.  It's pretty snappy actually.

RedWine

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #636 on: July 14, 2007, 12:19:38 AM »
I've read that people also burn rescue disks from the partition, which could then be used in case something bad happens.  Unfortunately I don't know how to do it, but the people on forums.thinkpads.com have discussed it several times.

stsherri

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #637 on: July 14, 2007, 01:03:26 AM »
FYI, my Dell shipped with Vista Premium on DVD... So this Microsoft policy is evidently not yet universal.  I'm hoping to upgrade to Vista on another machine at home, so hopefully there's no protections on the DVD that prevent it from executing and downloading on another machine. 
W&L '10

ě

• Sr. Citizen
  • non sequitur
    • View Profile
« Reply #638 on: July 14, 2007, 05:11:11 AM »
Assuming IBM does it like HP, you don't get the install disk per se, but you do have a copy of the install disk on your hard drive for post-installation modifications. Obviously, you could just burn this directory to a DVD and you magically have an installation disk.

Or you could just download a version from the internet and use your own CD key, making it very-close-to-legal.

StudentUVA

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #639 on: July 14, 2007, 11:29:41 AM »
My order has shipped already! Wow that was pretty fast. I should be getting it on 07/19!