Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Lenovo vs. thoseotherguys  (Read 57269 times)

«ě»

• Sr. Citizen
  • non sequitur
    • View Profile
Re: Lenovo vs. thoseotherguys
« Reply #600 on: July 11, 2007, 10:53:33 AM »
Are Lenovo slow as hell, or is it normal that stuff takes this long when you order it in the US? I don't think I've ever waited more than 3-5 days for getting computer or computer parts that I've ordered.

n/a

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #601 on: July 11, 2007, 11:29:41 AM »
Lenovo has to contract GM branded Transformers to build the Thinkpads since they are such tanks.  With the recent release of the movie and all the public appearances they had to make and whatnot, there has been a delay time.

Optimus Prime says not to worry.

JohnnyOnTheSpot

• View Profile
« Reply #602 on: July 12, 2007, 02:50:24 PM »
Hey everyone.  I just ordered a T61 with the following specs:

Processor: Intel® Core™ 2 Duo T7300 (2.0GHz 800MHz 4MBL2)
Genuine Windows XP Professional
Display type: 15.4 WXGA TFT
System graphics: Intel GMA X3100 GM965 w/ WWAN   
Total memory: 1 GB PC2-5300 DDR2 SDRAM 667MHz SODIMM Memory (1 DIMM)
Hard drive: 120GB Hard Disk Drive, 5400rpm   
Optical device: DVD Recordable 8x Max Dual Layer, Ultrabay Slim   
Battery: 9 cell Li-Ion Battery

got it for $1413 after 3 year depot 9x5 Next Business Day warranty, taxes, travel mouse and carrying case.  Is that a decent deal?  I know nothing about computers so I just tried to use this thread for advice.  I'm now thinking maybe I should have gone with the 100GB Hard Disk Drive, 7200rpm.  Is there any reason for me to try and change this?  Will I really notice a difference if I'm mainly using it for law school/internet?

utexas

• View Profile
« Reply #603 on: July 12, 2007, 07:21:44 PM »
On the spot, from what I understand, the 7200 rpm hard drives allow a faster start up and faster access to information stored on your hard drive.

Cal, make sure you follow up on the mail-in rebates. They really try to screw you on those. Make copies of the UPC code, receipt and send the info in via cert mail. I purchased a laptop a few years ago with a mail in rebate and they never sent it to me. I had to call and remind them months after it was due back! When you call back to check up on the rebate, they will ask you all types of information that you will probably not know unless you documented everything you sent in.

For those who are waiting on their T61's, I ordered mine on July 3rd and received an email that it was shipped yesterday and will receive it on the 18th!. Pretty happy. I called several times to let them know I was moving and needed the computer shipped ASAP. Not sure if that had anything to with it.

Mpmav1

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #604 on: July 12, 2007, 07:27:09 PM »
I ordered the x61s on 6/7/07 and am still waiting.  The estimated date of ship is 7/20.  

Lenovo shipping dates suck.  I would strongly recommend anyone planning on buying a lenovo to ensure they give at least 1.5 months for shipping.  They seriously suck on getting laptops out.  

n/a

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #605 on: July 12, 2007, 07:40:16 PM »
To Cal:

Dont buy the 3000 series, the build quality is not the same as Thinkpads...

3000 is Lenovo's native series, while thinkpads still use the IBM factories and parts and whatnot.

Special Agent Dana Scully

• LSD Obsessed
  • aka MCB
    • View Profile
« Reply #606 on: July 12, 2007, 10:28:29 PM »
ordered my x61s on 6/17, ESD of 7/19.  It shipped on 7/10 and it arrived at my house today.  I'll check it out 2morrow when i get back to NY.  very excited!
Columbia 3L

Special Agent Dana Scully

• LSD Obsessed
  • aka MCB
    • View Profile
« Reply #607 on: July 12, 2007, 10:35:36 PM »
ordered my x61s on 6/17, ESD of 7/19.  It shipped on 7/10 and it arrived at my house today.  I'll check it out 2morrow when i get back to NY.  very excited!

neat.  my ESD is 7/23

::hopes for sooner::

yea it prolly will be.
Columbia 3L

LawSchoolNY07

• View Profile
« Reply #608 on: July 12, 2007, 11:04:24 PM »
I just received my X61s today... it had an estimated ship date of 7/19... I really love it... it is nice and small, and weighs almost nothing which is great for trekking it around NYC with me. I am upgrading from a T40, so alot of the things are similar, but I am getting used to not having a touchpad and a smaller backspace key... they are the only negatives I can find. I did upgrade to an 8 cell battery, which sticks out in the back, but it doesnt bother me and still keeps it light. I also ordered an ultrabase with a cd rom drive in case I need to load any software... i figured it would be easier that way. I havent tried the ultrabase yet, but it is also very thin and light and shouldnt take up much space on a desk. I upgraded alot of the specs, because I like a fast computer and I had the shareholders discount anyway (Thanks Dad!!!).

One more negative... only one USB drive on the side... the battery covers anything on the back, alot of times I had a printer and flash drive connected at the same time on the T40... now I will have to make sure I save everything to the computer and then plug in the printer... not the biggest deal in the world... just another step.

I went looking for a very light computer with a good battery life, as I thought that would be the most important thing for law school... I think I found that in the X61s and I think I will be glad I made that decision once I have to start carrying this thing around with a load of casebooks.

Feel free to ask any specific questions now that I have this thing in front of me.
"I Go Here!" : Fordham
"What? Like Its Hard?: Fordham, St.Johns ($$$$), Villanova, Northeastern ($$), UCONN, Seton Hall ($$$), Brooklyn ($$$), Cardozo
"No, Its Like a Smart People Thing": BC, Penn
"Shes not completely unfortunate looking": Cornell

Pending:BU

Mpmav1

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #609 on: July 13, 2007, 11:28:53 AM »
I just received my X61s today... it had an estimated ship date of 7/19... I really love it... it is nice and small, and weighs almost nothing which is great for trekking it around NYC with me. I am upgrading from a T40, so alot of the things are similar, but I am getting used to not having a touchpad and a smaller backspace key... they are the only negatives I can find. I did upgrade to an 8 cell battery, which sticks out in the back, but it doesnt bother me and still keeps it light. I also ordered an ultrabase with a cd rom drive in case I need to load any software... i figured it would be easier that way. I havent tried the ultrabase yet, but it is also very thin and light and shouldnt take up much space on a desk. I upgraded alot of the specs, because I like a fast computer and I had the shareholders discount anyway (Thanks Dad!!!).

One more negative... only one USB drive on the side... the battery covers anything on the back, alot of times I had a printer and flash drive connected at the same time on the T40... now I will have to make sure I save everything to the computer and then plug in the printer... not the biggest deal in the world... just another step.

I went looking for a very light computer with a good battery life, as I thought that would be the most important thing for law school... I think I found that in the X61s and I think I will be glad I made that decision once I have to start carrying this thing around with a load of casebooks.

Feel free to ask any specific questions now that I have this thing in front of me.

What date did you order?