Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Lenovo vs. thoseotherguys  (Read 56825 times)

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: Lenovo vs. thoseotherguys
« Reply #580 on: July 09, 2007, 10:52:28 PM »

I just got the email that says my thinkpad was shipped.  Does anyone remember how soon after you got the email that you received the laptop?

I ordered a thinkpad almost identical to yours on the same day as you and got a shipping notice this morning.  The UPS tracker shows delivery scheduled for Tuesday, 7/10.  I hope it's accurate.  I'm in Los Angeles, so that probably minimizes ground transportation. 

It's accurate.  It will land in Ontario and be out for delivery within a few hours of that.  At least, that's how mine came.  I thought the delivery estimate was pretty quick, but it made it.

Super!!!  Thanks for the info.  ;D

As of 8:42 this morning, mine was in KY...the state, not the lube.

Mine was intransit from Chek Lap Kok, HK to Ontario, CA at 6:22 this morning, but the scheduled delivery date has disappeared from the tracking info.  I wonder if that means they expect a delay.

Same here

jdhu

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #581 on: July 10, 2007, 01:08:18 AM »
Regarding the T61s, to ensure dual channel ram speed, all you have to do is put the sticks of ram in the same color slots correct? 

I don't have my t61 yet, but I believe there are 4 ram slots...either numbered or color-coded.  It is just a matter or putting both sticks into either slots 1 or 2 right?

Also, people say that it is best to have identical ram, ie same manufacturer, is this really necessary??

There are only two slots in the T61.

ok thanks..so in other words, no matter what, ram will be dual channel?  Anyone have any idea the importance of having identical brand ram for this (supposedly important, but people make up a lot of crap)...

My UGPA was Pi

• View Profile
« Reply #582 on: July 10, 2007, 01:26:46 AM »
Regarding the T61s, to ensure dual channel ram speed, all you have to do is put the sticks of ram in the same color slots correct? 

I don't have my t61 yet, but I believe there are 4 ram slots...either numbered or color-coded.  It is just a matter or putting both sticks into either slots 1 or 2 right?

Also, people say that it is best to have identical ram, ie same manufacturer, is this really necessary??

There are only two slots in the T61.

ok thanks..so in other words, no matter what, ram will be dual channel?  Anyone have any idea the importance of having identical brand ram for this (supposedly important, but people make up a lot of crap)...
All I know is that mine runs great with a different brand of RAM in each slot.

donvito

• Sr. Citizen
  • Just drifting...
    • View Profile
« Reply #583 on: July 10, 2007, 03:11:18 AM »
i personally like the WXGA+ screen.  i just like having the extra screen real estate.  the fonts are obviously a bit smaller, but you can fix that by making the text bigger in your web browser and zooming in to like 125% in MS Word.

Thank you donvito...I really appreciate your help!

donvito, when you make these adjustments (make the text bigger), how do you find character quality? Are the letters/numbers/lines(Excel) sharp and clear like on a desktop or do you find the "print" a little "fragile" looking (sorry about the word "fragile"...I am trying to find out if the text looks good and can't think of quite the right word).

The reason I ask is, I have not been able to find a T61 screen to look at, only a T60 at Best Buy. So unfortunately I have not been able to see a WXGA+ or a WXGA to examine. Although different, I did recently see a D420 (12" screen). The text and images were quite small. When I enlarged them-- while they became a little larger, the letter quality was not particularly good...it was a little like using a digital zoom on a camera (blowing-up a captured image as opposed to enlarging the actual image). The characters were not clear, but instead presented as if a "blown-up" version of the original (not bold and sharp). Not a big deal if used occassionally, but not ideal to look at on a permanent basis.

Thank you very much donvito for your help...it is very much appreciated!

Well on MS Word, the 100% zoom, which is the default, Times New Roman isnt particularly bad at 12 point.  My vision doesnt get strained while looking at the words.  If you were to zoom a bit, say 125%, the fonts don't look that bad -- but I guess to make up for the loss in quality, the words appear as if they are bold.  When I bold the font, it is very easy to differentiate from what is bold from normal.

Here is the print screen of an example.  I didnt bold a word here though.  I'm not sure how these pictures will turn out on your monitor though...but it's better than nothing.  Make sure that your browser DOES NOT re-size these pictures.  Firefox and IE tend to re-size the picture to fit the page.  You can fix this by just zooming to 100%.

http://uploader.ws/upload/200707/word_document.jpg

I know it says 100% on the picture, but it is 125%

This is what a web page looks like in IE at 125%.

http://uploader.ws/upload/200707/web_page.jpg

The fonts actually look pretty clear.  The advertisement on the right is a bit pixelated though.

My vision isnt too horrible -- I do need glasses to look at a blackboard from far away -- and to watch a movie in a theater, but I find that I don't have too much difficulty reading text at 100% on my screen.

Hope this helps!
Mr. Braddock: Would you mind telling me then what those four years of college were for? What was the point of all that hard work?
Ben Braddock: You got me.

ě

• Sr. Citizen
  • non sequitur
    • View Profile
« Reply #584 on: July 10, 2007, 06:28:30 AM »
any known negatives about a Toshiba Satellite? I'm too poor for this thinkpad business lol

I have heard that the Toshiba Satellite is supposed to be a pretty good laptop.  They definitely seem to be recommended over HP, anyway.  Plus they look kinda cool (which you cannot say for the Thinkpad).

The A135 series seems to be the way to go, from what I've read.  They seem to run $500-$800 or so.

Toshiba's are good, although I'd point in the direction of a Tecra rather than a Sat. As for HPs, if you avoid the Pavillions and go for their business market machines, they got the best laptops in the business. Arguably a tad overpriced, at least on the European market.

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #585 on: July 10, 2007, 09:59:53 AM »

I just got the email that says my thinkpad was shipped.  Does anyone remember how soon after you got the email that you received the laptop?

I ordered a thinkpad almost identical to yours on the same day as you and got a shipping notice this morning.  The UPS tracker shows delivery scheduled for Tuesday, 7/10.  I hope it's accurate.  I'm in Los Angeles, so that probably minimizes ground transportation. 

It's accurate.  It will land in Ontario and be out for delivery within a few hours of that.  At least, that's how mine came.  I thought the delivery estimate was pretty quick, but it made it.

Super!!!  Thanks for the info.  ;D

As of 8:42 this morning, mine was in KY...the state, not the lube.

Mine was intransit from Chek Lap Kok, HK to Ontario, CA at 6:22 this morning, but the scheduled delivery date has disappeared from the tracking info.  I wonder if that means they expect a delay.

Same here

I had it shipped to my parent's house because I don't trust my mailroom.  I call my dad like 15 mins ago to tell him that it should arrive today.  He picks up the phone and says to hold on, there's someone at the door.  It was UPS with my thinkpad.  Weird.

utexas

• View Profile
« Reply #586 on: July 10, 2007, 11:00:36 AM »
For those who have received their laptops, when did you order them?

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #587 on: July 10, 2007, 11:04:31 AM »
For those who have received their laptops, when did you order them?

Ordered 6/28, received today.  It originally said the ship date was August 21, but they're having issues with the ship date  on the website.

RedWine

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #588 on: July 10, 2007, 12:34:55 PM »
I'm so jealous!!!  I ordered on 7/3 and my ship date has been consistently stuck at 8/3 ever since.  It's a completely different model, so I'm not too surprised that it might take longer, but I'm already getting impatient!

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #589 on: July 10, 2007, 01:11:04 PM »
I'm so jealous!!!  I ordered on 7/3 and my ship date has been consistently stuck at 8/3 ever since.  It's a completely different model, so I'm not too surprised that it might take longer, but I'm already getting impatient!

I don't think that necessarily means it's coming 8/3.  Mine said 8/21 until 2 days ago.