Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Lenovo vs. thoseotherguys  (Read 60529 times)

Odyssey3

• View Profile
Re: Lenovo vs. thoseotherguys
« Reply #560 on: July 05, 2007, 12:53:13 AM »
I don't have personal experience with Lenovo repairs but I can tell you from what I've noticed with my other laptops is that the amount of time it takes to fix your laptop is proportional to the severity of your problem.

Thank you for your reply.

Hmmm. I am trying to decide between a 4 year on-site Depot Protection Plan ($379) VS a 3 year on-site Protection Plan ($389) (4 year on-site $569....eeeeeno...way too many duckets). Tough call without any knowledge of Lenovo's quality of warranty service and turnaround times. Any thoughts?

Odyssey3

• View Profile
« Reply #561 on: July 06, 2007, 02:59:32 PM »
I have spent a lot of time looking into the discounts discussed and it seems like (to the best of my knowledge) the best stack seems to be Fatwallet (3.5%), Shareholder (?) and Tailor Made (over $1600 = 10%).

Fatwallet you must wait something like 60 days or so...Tailor Made is money "returned" to you Amex card after 1 -2 billing cycles (I was told by Tailor Made rep).

My question is...has anybody that has done this found that this stack really works? My concern is that one of these might cancel out another down the line. Tailor Made does not require that you link directly from their site so it seems you could go from Fatwallet to Tailor Made discount...but would inserting Shareholder in the middle possibly negate Tailor Made or Fatwallet (or Fatwallet negate shareholder, etc)?

Tailor Made seems to be the single largest discount...I'd hate to find that one of the lesser discounts negated it...however, if it works for sure...awesome!

Can anyone please comment? Thank you!

buffettologie

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #562 on: July 06, 2007, 03:02:25 PM »
It worked for me. Just link from fatwallet, do a search for shareholder on Lenovo's site, input the info and order w/ your Amex. It will be fine.
U of C 2010

jackiefargoforsheriff

• View Profile
« Reply #563 on: July 06, 2007, 03:48:15 PM »
So I just ordered a T61.  My law school hasn't announced support for Vista yet, and I'm a little wary anyways, so I went with XP Pro.  Does anyone have any idea how complicated the upgrade to Vista Business will be whenever I decide to take the plunge?  Will it be a simple installation or will I have to track down a ton of drivers, etc.?

RedWine

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #564 on: July 06, 2007, 05:31:04 PM »
I stuck with XP, partly because the Lenovo rep said "I honestly can't recommend Vista to anyone until a service pack comes out."  I asked whether it would be difficult to upgrade to Vista and he assured me it would be fine.  I've heard that it's not as easy as he made it sound, but since my school doesn't officially support Vista yet, I'll probably pay a visit to the Computer Services department to get tips and/or help when I decide to upgrade.  I'm not terribly worried about it, I'm just annoyed that I'll eventually have to pay for the upgrade.

stormandstress

• Sr. Citizen
  • ... im struggling
    • AOL Instant Messenger - paradigmidol
    • View Profile
« Reply #565 on: July 06, 2007, 06:56:20 PM »
So I just ordered a T61.  My law school hasn't announced support for Vista yet, and I'm a little wary anyways, so I went with XP Pro.  Does anyone have any idea how complicated the upgrade to Vista Business will be whenever I decide to take the plunge?  Will it be a simple installation or will I have to track down a ton of drivers, etc.?

Don't worry about this. Upgrading to Vista isn't going to be imperative for quite some time. The truth is that Vista is a pretty crappy operating system and it is going to take a couple of service packs before it starts to come around.

XP will be serviceable (and take suck up much less of your system resources) for at least another two years. If you want all that aesthetic stuff that makes Vista look cool just download a multipatcher and desktop items (like Rainlender) instead; they wont even have an impact on your memory.
Attending(?): WUSTL
Waitlist: UPenn
Withdrawn: GWU, Notre Dame

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #566 on: July 08, 2007, 01:00:13 AM »
I just got the email that says my thinkpad was shipped.  Does anyone remember how soon after you got the email that you received the laptop?

waningdelusion

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #567 on: July 08, 2007, 01:08:27 AM »
I just got the email that says my thinkpad was shipped.  Does anyone remember how soon after you got the email that you received the laptop?

i seem to remember i got it within a day of when they said i would...which was 10 days, maybe?  but that seems kinda long....well i don't remember exactly, but it really wasn't that long. 

on another note, i've had a few weeks to break in my x60 tablet and i'm in love.  i've gotten used to the trackpoint or whatever and it's superfast.  the tablet function is handy.  i purchased the dock, and honestly i haven't used it once in the last six weeks, but i'm sure it'll come in handy after i move and set up an external monitor.

i didn't buy any sort of warranty, which makes me nervous.  we'll see how that turns out. 

RedWine

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #568 on: July 08, 2007, 06:35:22 PM »
Waningdelusion, I think that if you change your mind about the warranty, you have up to 90 days to add an extended one.  I remember some people on the Thinkpad Forum mentioning that they added the warranty later.

My UGPA was Pi

• View Profile
« Reply #569 on: July 08, 2007, 07:54:10 PM »

I ordered a thinkpad almost identical to yours on the same day as you and got a shipping notice this morning.  The UPS tracker shows delivery scheduled for Tuesday, 7/10.  I hope it's accurate.  I'm in Los Angeles, so that probably minimizes ground transportation. 

It's accurate.  It will land in Ontario and be out for delivery within a few hours of that.  At least, that's how mine came.  I thought the delivery estimate was pretty quick, but it made it.