Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Lenovo vs. thoseotherguys  (Read 57086 times)

Special Agent Dana Scully

• LSD Obsessed
  • aka MCB
    • View Profile
Re: Lenovo vs. thoseotherguys
« Reply #520 on: July 01, 2007, 03:51:51 PM »
can i use my current XP cd to load XP onto my thinkpad once i get it?
Columbia 3L

pastor of muppets

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #521 on: July 01, 2007, 03:54:27 PM »

If I were to get XP, could I set it up so that I could load from either OS?  Keep in mind I really don't know sh*t about PCs, as I have always been a Mac user.

yah.

This might help:

http://apcmag.com/5485/dualbooting_vista_and_xp

Perfect, thanks.  Now I just need to get my hands on XP.

• LSD Obsessed
  • aka MCB
    • View Profile
« Reply #522 on: July 01, 2007, 04:02:24 PM »
can i use my current XP cd to load XP onto my thinkpad once i get it?

You should be able to if you still have the serial number (it should be on a card with a hologram foil thing).

ty, and i'm pretty sure i have all the materials somewhere around here :)
Columbia 3L

n/a

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #523 on: July 01, 2007, 04:02:56 PM »

If I were to get XP, could I set it up so that I could load from either OS?  Keep in mind I really don't know sh*t about PCs, as I have always been a Mac user.

yah.

This might help:

http://apcmag.com/5485/dualbooting_vista_and_xp

+1 for dual-booting

Catherine Morland

• Sr. Citizen
  • the improvement of her mind by extensive reading
    • View Profile
« Reply #524 on: July 01, 2007, 07:08:44 PM »
Has anyone heard anything (positive or negative) about the Dell M1330? I just played with one in the mall and I really like it.
0102 SLY

The person, be it gentleman or lady, who has not pleasure in a good novel, must be intolerably stupid. - Jane Austen

• LSD Obsessed
  • aka MCB
    • View Profile
« Reply #525 on: July 01, 2007, 07:09:32 PM »
Has anyone heard anything (positive or negative) about the Dell M1330? I just played with one in the mall and I really like it.

the computer just came out this week...i don't think ppl even really have them yet (at least not custom built ones).
Columbia 3L

donvito

• Sr. Citizen
  • Just drifting...
    • View Profile
« Reply #526 on: July 01, 2007, 07:12:42 PM »

it's pretty pricey for my tastes, but there's no doubt it's a top of the line system.  you could also try the m1230, the previous model.  those are pretty cheap now and arent that bad.
Mr. Braddock: Would you mind telling me then what those four years of college were for? What was the point of all that hard work?
Ben Braddock: You got me.

lawschoolboundlady

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #527 on: July 01, 2007, 07:20:22 PM »
So my parents have offered to shell out the big bucks to get me a quality laptop. I can now afford the Lenovo Thinkpad, but Dell Latitude D620 is offered through my school for 1349 and it comes with MS office and a 4 year warranty with on campus repair, anti virus intel core 2 duo 2Ghz?

Since I'm computer illiterate I kinda like the idea of the school just doing everything for me haha, but would it be a better investment to spend the 1400 on a thinkpad? I've heard Dells can be real pieces of crap from time to time, never heard that about the Thinkpad

stsherri

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #528 on: July 01, 2007, 09:03:54 PM »
So my parents have offered to shell out the big bucks to get me a quality laptop. I can now afford the Lenovo Thinkpad, but Dell Latitude D620 is offered through my school for 1349 and it comes with MS office and a 4 year warranty with on campus repair, anti virus intel core 2 duo 2Ghz?

Since I'm computer illiterate I kinda like the idea of the school just doing everything for me haha, but would it be a better investment to spend the 1400 on a thinkpad? I've heard Dells can be real pieces of crap from time to time, never heard that about the Thinkpad

That doesn't seem like such a great deal for the D620.  I just picked up a D630 (the model replacing the D620) with a 3-year, on-site warranty for about $1150, and the D630 gives you some good improvements over the 620 (not the least of which is terrific battery life).  You might go to Dell's website and customize and price a machine for comparison (though the D620 is no longer available for Custom built orders).  I think there's a good chance that your school's deal will not prove to be especially attractive. 

Also, if your school will service the D620 on-site, that probably means they have a service agreement with Dell and will service any of their machines that are under an on-site service agreement.  So, you are not locked into any one kind of Dell...you likely can get any of their laptops and enjoy the benefit of your school's tech service/support.  Call your school to verify this information, of course. 

You cannot go wrong with a thinkpad (provided you can get Lenovo to sell you one).  But they cost a bit more, and you lose the advantage of the on-site support (though many Thinkpad supporters will tell you that getting a Thinkpad means you will never need service...).  For me, the service agreement with Dell was a big deal; I like the idea of taking my laptop down the hall if there is a problem with it.  Plus, reviews of the Dell seemed a bit more flattering, I thought.  I should have my new machine Monday.  If you want any information about it send me a message...
W&L '10

utexas

• View Profile
« Reply #529 on: July 02, 2007, 12:37:25 AM »
How much would it cost to buy and add more ram to a lenovo laptop after purchasing? What type of ram does lenovo take? Does it have to be lenovo brand ram?