Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Lenovo vs. thoseotherguys  (Read 56300 times)

stsherri

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Lenovo vs. thoseotherguys
« Reply #370 on: June 14, 2007, 11:59:00 PM »
I'm cancelling my order... going with the D630 instead.
W&L '10

barenakedtjm

« Reply #371 on: June 15, 2007, 09:21:34 AM »
I don't know what to do.  I'm definitely fed up with Lenovo's garbage, but the T61 is what I want.  It's the best thing out there, IMO.  I DON'T want to get a Dell.  A Mac would be cool but I want to be able to take my exams on my laptop and apparently I can't do that with examsoft.

stsherri

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #372 on: June 15, 2007, 09:58:09 AM »
I had the same reluctance about Dell.  I have a consumer model now, and am not happy witht the general quality.  But this Lenovo situation has given me serious pause about the company, and I think the D630 is the only viable alternative.  Recent CNet reviews (5/24) give the the Dell a non-neglegible advantage over the T61.  Not that this makes the Dell a better machine, but it makes me feel better about going that direction.

The clincher for me is that my school has a service agreement with Dell, so if I have a problem with the Latitude I will simply be able to take it to my school's tech dept and swap it for a loaner while they work on my machine.  Couple this convenience with the poor experience thus far with Lenovo, the great reviews for the D630, the D630's outperformance of the T61 in most of CNet's benchmark tests, and the fact that the Dell is cheaper, and I think the Dell makes sense.  For me. 
W&L '10

barenakedtjm

« Reply #373 on: June 15, 2007, 01:00:59 PM »
Does anyone have/know of any deals on Dells?  Configuring this D630 I can't get a price anywhere near what I got at Lenovo (Memorial Day+SPP discounts).  That makes me want to wait...

stsherri

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #374 on: June 15, 2007, 03:09:12 PM »
Strange... my configuration of a D630 is considerably cheaper than the T61 I had ordered (with Memorial Day deal and SPP).  Only difference in setup is that the T61 had the TurboMemory and a media card slot (neither are available on the Dell), but the Dell is over $150 cheaper.  Mine was kinda barebones, though, so perhaps it is a matter of Dell charging more for the higher end options?  Also, I stuck with XP Home for the Dell, knowing that I can pick up Pro (or Vista) very cheaply at school.  That might be saving me a few bucks, too.

Don't know of any deals, aside from whatever rebate you get with fatwallet or ebates... I think Dell is pretty stingy with special offers on their professional lines.
W&L '10

Texas2L

• Sr. Citizen
  • Texas
    • View Profile
« Reply #375 on: June 15, 2007, 03:19:29 PM »
I looked at a D630 just now and Dell's preliminary ship date is 7/7 if ordered today, so I'm not sure thats any better than waiting on a T61 if you've already ordered it.

stsherri

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #376 on: June 15, 2007, 04:11:17 PM »
My D630 configuration shows a preliminary ship date of 6/23.
W&L '10

Texas2L

• Sr. Citizen
  • Texas
    • View Profile
« Reply #377 on: June 15, 2007, 05:00:02 PM »
Yea, the discrete graphics are what add the build time on the Dell.

button127

• View Profile
« Reply #378 on: June 17, 2007, 05:29:34 PM »
I ordered mine today and got a ship date for 8-9. I may try and give them a call tomorrow or Tuesday and see if I can schmooze the ship date up a little bit, that's like 3 extra weeks of build time. Though some of the options I checked did say that if selected it could delay ship times.

Special Agent Dana Scully

• LSD Obsessed
  • aka MCB
    • View Profile
« Reply #379 on: June 17, 2007, 06:17:51 PM »
I ordered mine today and got a ship date for 8-9. I may try and give them a call tomorrow or Tuesday and see if I can schmooze the ship date up a little bit, that's like 3 extra weeks of build time. Though some of the options I checked did say that if selected it could delay ship times.

what did u order?  i will most likely order my x61s before the night is over...
Columbia 3L