Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Lenovo vs. thoseotherguys  (Read 56271 times)

Mpmav1

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: Lenovo vs. thoseotherguys
« Reply #340 on: June 12, 2007, 12:36:36 PM »
I'm sorry if I'm touching on a subject discussed elsewhere, but I'd like some help deciding on which laptop to get. I've recently stumbled upon the Sony Vaio SZ line of laptops. Normally, I'm not a Sony fan (I've heard too many horror stories that make me less than trusting of their reliability), however when compared with the Lenovo x61 favorite, it seems they're offering a better product -- bigger screen and built in optical drive with a questionably significant 3 hour sacrifice in battery life, and hardly any difference in weight. Does anyone have any opinions on one versus the other? Thanks for your help!

From what I have heard, the thinkpad is a MUCH better product regarding build quality.  Much more durable than a Sony.  But, Sony's look a lot better.  So, that's what I've heard.

Special Agent Dana Scully

• LSD Obsessed
  • aka MCB
    • View Profile
« Reply #341 on: June 12, 2007, 01:15:09 PM »
I'm sorry if I'm touching on a subject discussed elsewhere, but I'd like some help deciding on which laptop to get. I've recently stumbled upon the Sony Vaio SZ line of laptops. Normally, I'm not a Sony fan (I've heard too many horror stories that make me less than trusting of their reliability), however when compared with the Lenovo x61 favorite, it seems they're offering a better product -- bigger screen and built in optical drive with a questionably significant 3 hour sacrifice in battery life, and hardly any difference in weight. Does anyone have any opinions on one versus the other? Thanks for your help!

the sony sz is one of my other options...the keyboard feels flimsy tho, and it's a concern.  otherwise, i really like it...dunno what i'll be doing.
Columbia 3L

CGEsq

• View Profile
« Reply #342 on: June 12, 2007, 05:41:19 PM »
My shipdate is 8/31 (the "glitch") so I called to check on status because before I bought it, they promised an early June shipdate.  After 30 minutes of listening to the Lenovo on-hold music on speaker at work, I was told that my credit card cleared and I should expect a shipdate of no more than 3 weeks from when I ordered (which would be next Tuesday).  He claimed it could even ship today or tomorrow.  I said "well I've heard about delays" and it was like I had killed his firstborn.  There WAS a delay, he said defensively, but only for orders placed before the 21st of May.

Whatever, dude.  I'm calling back and cancelling if it hasn't shipped by next Tuesday like he promised.

donvito

• Sr. Citizen
  • Just drifting...
    • View Profile
« Reply #343 on: June 12, 2007, 06:04:56 PM »
I just got a delayed shipment message. I originally had a shipping date of yesterday, but it now says that my T61 will ship on 8/2, despite the e-mail saying that my shipment will only be delayed by 1-30 days. WTF Lenovo, step your game up.

a lot people are having this issue--myself included.  i have heard that the likely shipping date for most of these orders is around june 26.

check out http://www.lenovoblogs.com/insidethebox/?p=84#comment-14529

there are tons of people there complaining.  the guy who keeps up the blog is an employee or something.
Mr. Braddock: Would you mind telling me then what those four years of college were for? What was the point of all that hard work?
Ben Braddock: You got me.

lovethelaw2010

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #344 on: June 12, 2007, 07:28:42 PM »
On a positive note my Dad ordered the same computer I did and has called and complained since I already received mine and his isn't suppose to come until the end of June and they are sending him a free leather laptop bag ($100) so I would call and complain and get one of those.

barenakedtjm

« Reply #345 on: June 13, 2007, 01:13:29 AM »
Holy crap.  I'm glad I got on this thread.  I ordered 5/23, it was supposed to *&^% 6/11.  This morning (6/12) I got an e-mail about the delay, and the status checker said not until 6/28.  NOW, JUST NOW, I GET THIS E-MAIL, CONFIRMING MY ORDER FOR $2,000!!!!!!!!!  I used the shareholder discount during the Memorial Day sale and it was originally $1,200 + ~300 for the 3-year protection plan for around $1500.  WTF?!  I'm cancelling tomorrow as I would NOT have ordered this machine for $2k!!!!!!

Mpmav1

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #346 on: June 13, 2007, 02:03:55 AM »
That sucks... I wouldn't cancel but make them honor their price.  They better not do that to me!  Threaten to report them to the BBB… that will usually get companies to think twice about your request.   

dcarealsattaker

• Sr. Citizen
  • "The Lidgebreaker"
    • View Profile
« Reply #347 on: June 13, 2007, 09:18:14 AM »
I am pretty close to saying screw it and just getting a macbook.

Clipse

• Sr. Citizen
  • Strictly Bathing Ape, Ice Cream, and BBC rocker...
    • View Profile
« Reply #348 on: June 13, 2007, 09:49:22 AM »

Seconded
LSN
“We rich, we get the best judicial advice” (In): BU, Loyola, UC-H, GW, UW
“So heartbreakin, like lovin a whore” (Out): GULC, M, D, V
 “Feels like kids and cake mix, can't wait to lick the bowl” (WL): BC, USC, AU, UCLA, W&M

barenakedtjm

« Reply #349 on: June 13, 2007, 10:28:46 AM »

Seconded

Thirded.