Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Lenovo vs. thoseotherguys  (Read 56813 times)

Booyakasha2

• Sr. Citizen
  • Dig to get jiggy wiv mr. biggy
    • View Profile
Re: Lenovo vs. thoseotherguys
« Reply #200 on: May 23, 2007, 07:55:56 PM »
i still might get one....that warrenty is putting me over the edge though...
Princeton Law 2010

simonsays

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #201 on: May 23, 2007, 07:57:01 PM »

yea, you really need a multicore processor for word processing and IMing.

button127

• View Profile
« Reply #202 on: May 23, 2007, 08:47:32 PM »
Can anyone tell me how far the 6 or 7 cell batteries stick out from the computer compared to the standard 4? On the T61 that is.

donvito

• Sr. Citizen
  • Just drifting...
    • View Profile
« Reply #203 on: May 23, 2007, 09:24:34 PM »
well i just pulled a trigger on a $1450 T61.  This doesnt include tax or the Amex discount.  Figure it's a pretty awesome deal considering the discount was over $700.  ;D  This laptop should last me a while.

my only worry is that i used an employee discount and i've heard that it might create warranty issues...or that Lenovo might come after you when they do an audit on the employee who gave away his discount number to the entire internet.  haha.

Lenovo doesn't do that. EPP discounts are allowed to be shared with "family and friends." To cope with the guy that shares it with the world, they put a cap on the number of EPP purchases allowed in an employees name each year.

well my order went through.  ???

of course, Lenovo has the right to cancel my order at anytime.  in fact, it wouldnt surprise me if they do since my laptop only ships on june 11.

from what i read on another message board, lenovo can audit the account and try to collect the money (says someone in the know), but that seems a bit extreme.  haha. 
Mr. Braddock: Would you mind telling me then what those four years of college were for? What was the point of all that hard work?
Ben Braddock: You got me.

donvito

• Sr. Citizen
  • Just drifting...
    • View Profile
« Reply #204 on: May 23, 2007, 09:27:19 PM »
Apparently discrete graphics reduce battery by up to 40% in the T61.  Also, an X61 is due to come out soon.. might want to hold off if you want an x series.

i would believe the x series would come out in the next 3 weeks.  we'll then be able to use the 4th of July sale...but i think that it's cutting too close to the beginning of the school year.  the laptop will probably take a month to process/build/ship.  that's how it is for the t61s.
Mr. Braddock: Would you mind telling me then what those four years of college were for? What was the point of all that hard work?
Ben Braddock: You got me.

marlinspike

• Sr. Citizen
  • Why yes, I am the one who took my avatar photo.
    • View Profile
    • Richard's Photos
« Reply #205 on: May 23, 2007, 09:43:52 PM »
well my order went through.  ???

of course, Lenovo has the right to cancel my order at anytime.  in fact, it wouldnt surprise me if they do since my laptop only ships on june 11.

from what i read on another message board, lenovo can audit the account and try to collect the money (says someone in the know), but that seems a bit extreme.  haha. 

I've never heard of Lenovo trying to collect. If the order went through, I'd bet dollars to donuts that that particular EPP code hasn't hit it's 50 (IIRC it's 50) yearly purchases allowed yet and you'll be fine. Back in the day they actually used to give an award (well..not like a prize, just a "job well done") to the person with the most EPP purchases, so I doubt they are anti-EPP purchases.
Gas: UMD, W&M ($$), Wake Forest, Emory, GW, GMU
Clutch: Michigan, Notre Dame, UVA, AU (yield protect?), Duke, BC (Michigan told me no on 6/13 - Thank you MI for being courteous and letting me know)
Brakes: Gtown.
(3.23 169)

zerofact0r

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #206 on: May 23, 2007, 10:06:19 PM »
jeeebus :o

i know dells arent up to par as a thinkpad (consistently up to par, though mine has been fine 2.5 yrs in)....but i can literally get 2 dell laptops with similar performance for how much you paid for your thinkpad.  No flame.....but just trying to put it into perspective.  i know the thinkpad lovers r gonna hate me....but cmon.  if you just backup your important data on an external or something...you should be ok. 

Dell only sells two models with similar specs, the 630 and 830, and both are more expensive.

Booyakasha2

• Sr. Citizen
  • Dig to get jiggy wiv mr. biggy
    • View Profile
« Reply #207 on: May 23, 2007, 10:25:27 PM »

i know dells arent up to par as a thinkpad (consistently up to par, though mine has been fine 2.5 yrs in)....but i can literally get 2 dell laptops with similar performance for how much you paid for your thinkpad.  No flame.....but just trying to put it into perspective.  i know the thinkpad lovers r gonna hate me....but cmon.  if you just backup your important data on an external or something...you should be ok. 

Dell only sells two models with similar specs, the 630 and 830, and both are more expensive.

here we go....i know that those who already bought it will feel the need to point out every reason that their thinkpad is better than a dell, despite the fact that during ls, you will need no where near the computing power that some of these laptops boast.  If you can wing it, more power to you. 

So let me rephrase. You can get a dell that will perform above and beyond what is needed for law school.  2 of them depending on how above and beyond you want.  Now i agree that thinkpads seeem to be more reliable consistently than Dells.  I say seems because i had a thinkpad R40? about 2.5 yrs ago that had its motherboard crap out.  I needed a computer immediately so thats when i bought my current laptop Dell 700m and got it within 2 days.  IBM fixed the mobo after a few weeks..  Sold the thinkpad on ebay since i had no need for two, and the 700m was lighter.  I bring this up to show that no laptop is beyond malfunctioning (albeit some are more prone than others).  So this brings me to my original point....why not just get a cheaper dell (with a 3 yr full-warrenty), still for a little over 1/2 of what 1 thinkpad costs?  Thinkpads are pretty sweet though....

Princeton Law 2010

OingoBoingo

• Sr. Citizen
  • Simply the best band from the 80's
    • View Profile
« Reply #208 on: May 23, 2007, 11:19:56 PM »

here we go....i know that those who already bought it will feel the need to point out every reason that their thinkpad is better than a dell, despite the fact that during ls, you will need no where near the computing power that some of these laptops boast.  If you can wing it, more power to you. 

So let me rephrase. You can get a dell that will perform above and beyond what is needed for law school.  2 of them depending on how above and beyond you want.  Now i agree that thinkpads seeem to be more reliable consistently than Dells.  I say seems because i had a thinkpad R40? about 2.5 yrs ago that had its motherboard crap out.  I needed a computer immediately so thats when i bought my current laptop Dell 700m and got it within 2 days.  IBM fixed the mobo after a few weeks..  Sold the thinkpad on ebay since i had no need for two, and the 700m was lighter.  I bring this up to show that no laptop is beyond malfunctioning (albeit some are more prone than others).  So this brings me to my original point....why not just get a cheaper dell (with a 3 yr full-warrenty), still for a little over 1/2 of what 1 thinkpad costs?  Thinkpads are pretty sweet though....

I can attest from surviving 1L year that a couple of days or even a week without my laptop would be too much. I had two classes this past semester (crim law) where the prof just basically spat out an unabiguous outline each and every class but spoke so fast that there is no freaking way your able to write quick enough to keep up.

I mention this because the logic of holding a Dell or some other brand with a 3 year warranty in the same or similar light as a Thinkpad similarly situated is faulty. That admittingly steep increase in price buys you a machine that will spend less time being repaired but also is a, tangible and intangible, better deal. I can't put a price on being able to type on a keyboard that doesn't flex or sound tinny or simply has keys that fall off after typically heavy law school use. My X41 tablet was fine in this regard - had my needs not changed (read: feeble Centrino processor and slow hard drive unable to support specific programs) I would still be using it.

Oingo
"It takes a big man to cry, but it takes a bigger man to laugh at that man."

My UGPA was Pi

• View Profile
« Reply #209 on: May 23, 2007, 11:20:53 PM »
Can anyone tell me how far the 6 or 7 cell batteries stick out from the computer compared to the standard 4? On the T61 that is.

The phone rep told me the 6 cell sticks out about 1/2" from the back.  I didn't ask about the 7, but I think somewhere in this thread are the dimensions for each.  (Click on the "Print" button above to see the whole thing on a single page for easy searching.)