Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Where do I stand: lower GPA question.  (Read 1405 times)

BYUgrad06

• View Profile
Re: Where do I stand: lower GPA question.
« Reply #10 on: May 22, 2007, 02:40:43 PM »
Also, go to lawschoolnumbers.com. This site is invaluable! There are many people with your gpa that got into law school, so don't get discouraged, esp. if you have a disability that can explain some of your problems in undergrad. Ace the LSAT and put together the best application you possibly can. Good luck!

Here's where I am at a disadvantage.  I'm white, I do not have work experience in any type of a career, etc that many with my grades that got in.  I'm worried. 

Katie08

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Facebook
« Reply #11 on: May 22, 2007, 03:10:43 PM »
Also, go to lawschoolnumbers.com. This site is invaluable! There are many people with your gpa that got into law school, so don't get discouraged, esp. if you have a disability that can explain some of your problems in undergrad. Ace the LSAT and put together the best application you possibly can. Good luck!

Here's where I am at a disadvantage.  I'm white, I do not have work experience in any type of a career, etc that many with my grades that got in.  I'm worried. 

Can you take a year off and do something related to your field of interest? For example, if you like human rights law, can you take a year or two and work with human rights orgs? If you like international law, can you work for the UN? Think of ways that aren't LSAT/GPA to make yourself stand out, even a little, and that'll help your app.
You must be the change you wish to see in the world

BYUgrad06

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 23, 2007, 02:59:39 AM »

Can you take a year off and do something related to your field of interest? For example, if you like human rights law, can you take a year or two and work with human rights orgs? If you like international law, can you work for the UN? Think of ways that aren't LSAT/GPA to make yourself stand out, even a little, and that'll help your app.

I majored in History, which makes it more difficult, I have been substitute teaching lately here in NE Texas.  I am looking at going into Family and Employment law.  Would like to specialize in Divorce/Custody/Inheritence, etc.  I am a huge College Football Fan, so If I could find a type of law that deals more directly with it and gives me opportunities to get involved with it for a career I'll be all for that.  In regards to service I did serve a 2 year Mormon mission to Ogden Utah of all places.  I served in various positions in my church/student ward throughout school. 

ě

• Sr. Citizen
  • non sequitur
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 23, 2007, 05:07:06 AM »
http://www.lsatreport.com/table.php

This may give you an idea of what you need to shoot for on the LSAT to find your way into the index median for some schools (it doesn't have all the schools).

This is a good tool, but judging by my decisions a bit too nazi on your admission chances, specially based on GPA. This could perhaps be because several schools 'accepted' my explanation of UGPA and I'm  thus not representative, but at least, that's how it turned out for me. It's a nice tool, just don't consider it a bible.

Dagny

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 23, 2007, 05:49:07 AM »
It might reassure you to know that Utah is kind of an underrepresented state for many law schools. You get a little boost for geographic diversity if not ethnic.
University of Michigan Law School
Class of 2011!

ě

• Sr. Citizen
  • non sequitur
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: May 23, 2007, 07:45:28 AM »
http://www.lsatreport.com/table.php

This may give you an idea of what you need to shoot for on the LSAT to find your way into the index median for some schools (it doesn't have all the schools).

This is a good tool, but judging by my decisions a bit too nazi on your admission chances, specially based on GPA. This could perhaps be because several schools 'accepted' my explanation of UGPA and I'm  thus not representative, but at least, that's how it turned out for me. It's a nice tool, just don't consider it a bible.

You're right, it is a great tool that gives applicants an idea of the likelihood of their acceptance based on their numbers, but NO tool can account for all situations, jesus. Using your one situation as a counterexample is hardly valuable criticism.

True and it really wasn't meant as a criticism, just sort of a "heads up, this is what was 'off' for me". My tendencies were very clearly that their LSAT assumptions were pretty much spot on, but apparently many schools were more flexible to UGPA. As both UGPA and LSAT are individually 'color coded', I figured that might be useful info :) By no means trying to discourage people from using it, this is one of the better 'LSAT calculators' I've seen out there.