Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Where do I stand: lower GPA question.  (Read 1381 times)

BYUgrad06

• View Profile
Where do I stand: lower GPA question.
« on: May 20, 2007, 05:37:29 PM »
I have an undergrad GPA of 3.00.  I just entered a calculation on the LSDAS GPA calculator on lawpad.com?  Well, anyways instead of my GPA being close to or around a 3.00, it came out at about a 2.85. I am Caucasian, so I don't have the advantage of being a minority. My questions are:

I have some learning disabilities and other challenges that have made school more difficult than it should have been, would it help if I made a disclosure in an addendum. 

What kind of chances would I have of getting into any law school?

How high would I have to score on the LSAT just to get a decent look?

It seems kind of bleak to me, am I justified in feeling so. 

I'm hoping to get into the following schools at least:

-Texas Wesleyan
-U of Nevada Las Vegas
-U of Wyoming
-U of Houston
-Texas Tech
-Seattle University
-Gonzaga
-Texas Southern
-Whittier or Chapman in California
-Thomas Jefferson
-U of Kansas
-William and Mary
-U of Wisconsin

Does anybody have any recommendations of other schools that may give me a serious look despite my GPA?

Socrates

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: Where do I stand: lower GPA question.
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2007, 05:45:45 PM »
 http://www.lsatreport.com/table.php

This may give you an idea of what you need to shoot for on the LSAT to find your way into the index median for some schools (it doesn't have all the schools).

bamf

• Sr. Citizen
  • legal eagle
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2007, 06:05:22 PM »
First off, I have no idea what lawpad.com is, but I don't understand your question ... did you plug in every grade you ever received and it told you what your LSAC GPA would be?  If you have only attended one school and they graded on a 4.0 scale there are few reasons that your GPA would drop, so I figure it might be a flaw in whatever crappy program that site runs.
Second, don't start your research at lsatreport, lawschoolnubers, etc.  The Official Guide to ABA-Approved law schools, available at www.lsac.org is the best resource for raw data.  Most schools publish a matrix showing applications/ acceptances for various LSAT/ GPA combos.
2L, Boston College Law

http://lawschoolnumbers.com/bamf

Around from time to time.  Always willing to answer any Qs about BC, my '06/'07 cycle or law school in general ... PMs work better ...

BYUgrad06

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2007, 06:14:51 PM »
First off, I have no idea what lawpad.com is, but I don't understand your question ... did you plug in every grade you ever received and it told you what your LSAC GPA would be?  If you have only attended one school and they graded on a 4.0 scale there are few reasons that your GPA would drop, so I figure it might be a flaw in whatever crappy program that site runs.
Second, don't start your research at lsatreport, lawschoolnubers, etc.  The Official Guide to ABA-Approved law schools, available at www.lsac.org is the best resource for raw data.  Most schools publish a matrix showing applications/ acceptances for various LSAT/ GPA combos.

Thank You.  I haven't taken the LSAT yet so it all still seems so uncertain to me.Where do you find the stats chart on LSAC.org?

bamf

• Sr. Citizen
  • legal eagle
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2007, 07:36:23 PM »
right there in the left side links ... "Official Guide to ABA Schools" ... I usually find schools through the "geographic search"
2L, Boston College Law

http://lawschoolnumbers.com/bamf

Around from time to time.  Always willing to answer any Qs about BC, my '06/'07 cycle or law school in general ... PMs work better ...

Jen2bJD

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2007, 07:52:08 PM »
You can also go to the Alphabetical list of all schools.

iscoredawaitlist

• Sr. Citizen
  • The beagle puppy of anticipation
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 20, 2007, 09:22:18 PM »
don't lose all hope. there are plenty of people here who have low GPAs but have gotten into terrific schools. You'll need to get a high LSAT score, of course.

If you have a learning disability, and you can show that you've somehow overcome it or figured it out, then i think that will somewhat mitigate your GPA.

Socrates

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 20, 2007, 10:23:22 PM »
I just found the link recently (I can't remember where exactly, probably on here somewhere).  I've been impressed thus far with the information it's returning.

If you're looking to hire-out for a developer, I do it professionally on the side!

:D

TrashCat

• Sr. Citizen
  • My job requires a certain... moral flexibility.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 21, 2007, 09:55:39 AM »

My GPA at my UG went from a 3.48 to a 3.39 due to the fact that I had a "E" frosh year that was replaced with a B+ senior year and my school forgave the lower grade, but LSAC calculated them all and not the higher grade FYI.

Dagny

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 22, 2007, 09:28:06 AM »
Also, go to lawschoolnumbers.com. This site is invaluable! There are many people with your gpa that got into law school, so don't get discouraged, esp. if you have a disability that can explain some of your problems in undergrad. Ace the LSAT and put together the best application you possibly can. Good luck!
University of Michigan Law School
Class of 2011!