Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: BC with no money???  (Read 1207 times)

kirps

• Sr. Citizen
  • Why don't you burn in hell?
    • View Profile
    • Email
BC with no money???
« on: May 20, 2007, 12:17:04 AM »
Well ladies and gents,

I got admitted to BC off the priority waitlist. I checked the financial aid site today and they need my tax returns and whatnot. I haven't seen any mention of scholarships in any of my papers etc and since it was the waitlist my guess is that I will be paying full price if I go. My other option is to wait a year and reapply, both to BC and some other schools. Any thoughts?
In: W&L, DePaul, NEU, Seattle, BC($$$)
Not Not In: GW, Cornell,American, UVA, Vandy
Not In: UW, ND, HLS, UMich, Chicago,  Yale, G-Town, Duke

LSN

Blog[/url

bamf

• Sr. Citizen
  • legal eagle
    • View Profile
Re: BC with no money???
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2007, 12:54:03 AM »
 ;D
you know what I think!

I only have a small scholarship, but I think the investment is worth it ...
2L, Boston College Law

http://lawschoolnumbers.com/bamf

Around from time to time.  Always willing to answer any Qs about BC, my '06/'07 cycle or law school in general ... PMs work better ...

kirps

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2007, 01:45:24 AM »
How to scholarships at BC usually stack up? and do you know if there are potential additional scholarships after 1L?

LSN

Blog[/url

StudentUVA

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2007, 12:25:28 PM »
Tough call. Do you plan on retaking the lsat? If you dont plan on changing anything then you should probably just go to BC. It's a good school if you want to stay in boston.

prelaw200

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2007, 02:03:02 PM »
I'd do it.

Also, if you don't get in off GW's waitlist I will eat my shoes.
Me Go Cornell

bamf

• Sr. Citizen
  • legal eagle
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2007, 03:36:51 PM »
How to scholarships at BC usually stack up? and do you know if there are potential additional scholarships after 1L?

This is from the Fin Aid website:
"Through the gifts of alumni and benefactors, the law school offers a number of specialized scholarships to incoming and continuing students."
I'm pretty sure I have seen a few blurbs about scholarships for some rising 3Ls.  Also the LRAP is pretty good.
2L, Boston College Law

http://lawschoolnumbers.com/bamf

Around from time to time.  Always willing to answer any Qs about BC, my '06/'07 cycle or law school in general ... PMs work better ...

Stuje1

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Law School Numbers Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: May 20, 2007, 07:35:54 PM »
BC focuses more on need based scholarships than merit based.   Since you are coming off the waitlist, and the merit based ones are limited, I would not count on a merit based one.   However, you may be eligible for need based scholarships.   There are always outside scholarships you can apply for too.

One question is what area of law are you interested in going into.  If you want to do Public Interest, then having big debt can be a problem and thus it might not be the best idea to go to BC with no aid.  If you want to go the firm route, then it is not a problem.   It is worth it to go to a better school (even if it'll cost more) as you will have a better chance at a higher paying job.  Paying off your loans won't be much of a problem if you are making $160K/yr straight out of school.   

I am a little surprised with where you did/didn't get in.  You have very good numbers.   So I don't think your numbers were really the problem.   A 167 is a very good LSAT, so I don't know if that is the area that really needs to be improved.   Did you make sure you had really strong references and did you make sure to your app/essay were perfect?   I'm not trying to sound condescending, but I am wondering if there is some part of your app that you might have not focused on enough, and that is what should really be fixed and not your LSAT or anything.   I think the main issue is that you applied to a ton of reach schools (T14s) and a fair number of safeties (that gave you scholarships, which is great), but limited the number in the 20's-30's range, which is the range you should really be focusing on since they are the best schools you have a good chance at.  not that you can't get into the schools in the teens, but if you want to have a steady list of really good schools to choose from, then I think you need to add more schools in the 20's-30's range.

Now, all that said, i really think you should come to BC!  Applying to law school sucks, and why go through the whole process again when you are in at a great school!  I am having a wonderful experience here.  I can't say enough about how happy I am to have picked it. And despite what lonewolf said, it is not just a Boston school.  We have a ton of grads go to NY, DC, as well as many that go to Cali, Chicago, Philly, and all over the country.  If you have any more specific questions about BC, feel free to PM me.  Good luck with your decision.   
8) Boston College
;D Colorado $, Wisconsin, OSU $, Indiana $, Case $$, Tulane $$$, Davis, Iowa, Hastings, UWashington
:-\ GW, WUSTL, Emory, WashLee, BostonU, Ariz, Minnesota
>:( Gtown, Mich, Nwestern, UIUC, Berk

kirps

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: May 22, 2007, 12:10:13 AM »
In response to what you said...

I actually think it was the PS that screwed me, I took the advice of a number of people, who, in hindsight had not yet been admitted to law school and were not on adcomms as to how I should write it, and ended up with something more nebulous and character driven than preparation and goal-oriented. I spoke directly with one of the admissions counselors at UW who confirmed this hypothesis.

I feel like I might do better on a second round of apps given this knowledge, a re-dedication to early applications and a potential LSAT bump. That said, there is definitely a big part of me that just wants to go to BC and be done with it, partially because BC is a great school in a city I really like, but also because damn if applications aren't a pain in the ass.

I think if I am not happy with my aid I may defer at BC a year and see if I might bump up in the mean time, or perhaps just save some cash and borrow less. I'll have to put the pencil to it once I see the aid letter, but I definitely am excited about BC, I guess my inner perfectionist is always going to be a little disappointed in myself for not getting a full ride to Yale (damn scores)

LSN

Blog[/url

kirps

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: May 22, 2007, 12:12:06 AM »
Oh, and I got a letter from GW the other day saying that they likely won't be making any more waitlist offers...

Do you prefer your shoes with ketchup or mustard?  :P

I'd do it.

Also, if you don't get in off GW's waitlist I will eat my shoes.

LSN

Blog[/url

miller

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 22, 2007, 07:31:10 PM »
The opportunity cost of that year is pretty high. Your stats aren't really high enough to ensure that you'll get anything great from any of the 25-15 schools. I would stick with BC. If you do, I just keep your costs down and you'll be fine. I am making 160k a year at graduation and have around 80k in law school loans; needless to say, I am not really worried about the loans. They are a pain, but its all relative; you can pay them off in anyway you want, but you are not going to make up for that initial (160k-[salary of year waiting)) that you would lose by not going now.

To each his own, but congrats on BC! You're an eagle now!