Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: (I am 1/4th Jewish) Could that help establish me as a minority  (Read 9305 times)

BYUTexan

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: (I am 1/4th Jewish) Could that help establish me as a minority
« Reply #10 on: May 20, 2007, 03:03:24 AM »
Jews represent about 2% of the US population. 
[/quote]

that's news to me. 

There may be a lot of Jewish names on law firms back on the east coast but go south and west and see how many firms have Jewish sounding names on them. ;)

keelee

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 20, 2007, 04:35:01 AM »
Jews represent about 2% of the US population. 

that's news to me. 

There may be a lot of Jewish names on law firms back on the east coast but go south and west and see how many firms have Jewish sounding names on them. ;)
[/quote]

In Los Angeles, which has more Jews than Tel Aviv and any other city in the world after NYC and Miami, the answer is plenty.
Going to as of now...USC or Fordham.

Funky Cold Hrdina

• Sr. Citizen
  • Relative Anonymity
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 20, 2007, 05:23:02 AM »
Do it!

I bet there aren't that many Jewish students at Cooley so I think you'll get a huge boost!

HTH.

jillibean

• Sr. Citizen
  • I'm the pretty one.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 20, 2007, 09:54:01 AM »
Yeah, traditionally people of Jewish faith are pretty rare in law school, or so I hear. 

Thanks for the backhanded comment.  Rare in Law School?  So are Blacks, Hispanics and Asians. ::)

He was being sarcastic. Maybe you didn't understand that. Jews aren't rare in law school at all
UMiami c/o 2010

H4CS

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 20, 2007, 10:06:40 AM »
I think that they should go beyond that and consider some Jews(those of actual Jewish lineage) as minorities.  They are a slowly dying out with each new generations, where as the aforementioned minorities have been self-sustaining.

I think you may be more likely to qualify for some boost for being intellectualy challeneged.  Unlike Jews, idiots like you are both moderately underrepresented at top schools and multiplying like crazy.  The whole 1/4 Jewish thing sounds like you're claiming that your great-grandmother was an Indian princess.  Which you might also believe.  There's a board called XOXO for people who don't quite understand these things, I know it can be a little hard.

beeker

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: May 20, 2007, 10:26:24 AM »
Ok, I'll try this again.  I was referring to being Jewish in an ethnic/racial sense (yes I do consider them a race of people, as did Hitler).    Putting aside religion, I do believe there is a physical jewish race that is somewhat separate from the Caucasian race> 

Oh, Well if HITLER thought so... it must be true...

prob. not the best one to support your idea there...

Captain

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • http://img164.imageshack.us/img164/5526/thumbid5.jpg
« Reply #16 on: May 20, 2007, 10:38:11 AM »
ORM...

Jewish...

Lawyer...

wtf...

Worst.Troll.Ever.
VIP.

BYUTexan

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #17 on: May 20, 2007, 12:24:09 PM »
Ya know, I ask a serious question and you guys respond with some asinine comments WTF.  And no, I wasn't trolling.

BYUTexan

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #18 on: May 20, 2007, 12:33:03 PM »
I think that they should go beyond that and consider some Jews(those of actual Jewish lineage) as minorities.  They are a slowly dying out with each new generations, where as the aforementioned minorities have been self-sustaining.

I think you may be more likely to qualify for some boost for being intellectualy challeneged.  Unlike Jews, idiots like you are both moderately underrepresented at top schools and multiplying like crazy.  The whole 1/4 Jewish thing sounds like you're claiming that your great-grandmother was an Indian princess.  Which you might also believe.  There's a board called XOXO for people who don't quite understand these things, I know it can be a little hard.

You can shove it!

Funky Cold Hrdina

• Sr. Citizen
  • Relative Anonymity
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 20, 2007, 12:40:03 PM »
I'm curious, if you so closely identify with your Jewish heritage, why don't you practice the religion? Judaism has an incredibly righ cultural, religious, (and yes) ethnic heritage, but I would assume embracing the latter a least facilitates if not necessitates acceptance of the two former. I am a quarter Jewish, but have never considered myself anything other than Caucasian because I (like yourself) was never taught to embody all that it means.

It certainly wouldn't have occurred to me in a million years to indicate it on an application 1) because it's not who I am and 2) at the end of the day it's not helpful.