Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: (I am 1/4th Jewish) Could that help establish me as a minority  (Read 9388 times)

BYUTexan

• View Profile
    • Email
Could being a quarter Jew help get me status as a minority?  I am serious.  Even though I don't adhere to the Jewish faith, I consider my self one in ethnicity. Simply put I don't consider myself purely Caucasian (as I believe the many Jews to be a part of a dying race/ethnicity)  There are only an estimated15 million actual Jews left in the world, so I could have some basis for a claim?

Ersatz

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: (I am 1/4th Jewish) Could that help establish me as a minority
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2007, 11:09:05 PM »
No.

jillibean

• Sr. Citizen
  • I'm the pretty one.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2007, 11:12:26 PM »
Is there a box for you to check off that says Jew? That may answer your question. If Wiccans, Scientologists, Muslims, Buddhists, etc. can get favorable treatment by their religion then wouldn't everyone qualify?
UMiami c/o 2010

H4CS

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2007, 11:29:10 PM »
If Wiccans, Scientologists, Muslims, Buddhists, etc. can get favorable treatment by their religion then wouldn't everyone qualify?

My brain just asploded. Can no think good after reading. Ow it hurts this much.

bamf

• Sr. Citizen
  • legal eagle
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2007, 12:56:42 AM »
Yeah, traditionally people of Jewish faith are pretty rare in law school, or so I hear. 
2L, Boston College Law

http://lawschoolnumbers.com/bamf

Around from time to time.  Always willing to answer any Qs about BC, my '06/'07 cycle or law school in general ... PMs work better ...

BYUTexan

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2007, 01:59:32 AM »
Ok, I'll try this again.  I was referring to being Jewish in an ethnic/racial sense (yes I do consider them a race of people, as did Hitler).    Putting aside religion, I do believe there is a physical jewish race that is somewhat separate from the Caucasian race> 

Ersatz

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 20, 2007, 02:03:44 AM »
Ok, I'll try this again.  I was referring to being Jewish in an ethnic/racial sense (yes I do consider them a race of people, as did Hitler).    Putting aside religion, I do believe there is a physical jewish race that is somewhat separate from the Caucasian race> 

Ok. The answer is still no.

http://www.lsac.org/LSAC.asp?url=/lsac/faqs-and-support-minority-applicants.asp

"Historically, minority group members have been underrepresented in the legal profession. A substantial discrepancy remains between the percentage of minority members in society versus the percentage in the legal profession. To promote diversity in the profession, all LSAC-member law schools actively seek qualified African American, Hispanic, Asian, and American Indian students as well as other students of color.  (In addition, many schools consider such factors as economic and educational disadvantage when considering a candidate for admission.) Law schools find that diversity within the classroom enriches the learning process for all students."

BYUTexan

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: May 20, 2007, 02:04:37 AM »
Yeah, traditionally people of Jewish faith are pretty rare in law school, or so I hear. 

Thanks for the backhanded comment.  Rare in Law School?  So are Blacks, Hispanics and Asians. ::)

BYUTexan

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: May 20, 2007, 02:09:29 AM »

"Historically, minority group members have been underrepresented in the legal profession. A substantial discrepancy remains between the percentage of minority members in society versus the percentage in the legal profession. To promote diversity in the profession, all LSAC-member law schools actively seek qualified African American, Hispanic, Asian, and American Indian students as well as other students of color.  (In addition, many schools consider such factors as economic and educational disadvantage when considering a candidate for admission.) Law schools find that diversity within the classroom enriches the learning process for all students."

I think that they should go beyond that and consider some Jews(those of actual Jewish lineage) as minorities.  They are a slowly dying out with each new generations, where as the aforementioned minorities have been self-sustaining.

keelee

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 20, 2007, 02:57:38 AM »

I think that they should go beyond that and consider some Jews(those of actual Jewish lineage) as minorities.  They are a slowly dying out with each new generations, where as the aforementioned minorities have been self-sustaining.

Go through a list of law firm names. Greenburg, Rosenberg, Altman, Stein...those are Jewsih names. If anything, Jews are "over" reprsenented in the legal field. Being a Jew does not help you at all, especially because Jews represent about 2% of the US population, but probably close to 1/4th of the students at top-ranked law schools. 
Going to as of now...USC or Fordham.