Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: (I am 1/4th Jewish) Could that help establish me as a minority  (Read 9146 times)

bamf

• Sr. Citizen
  • legal eagle
    • View Profile
Re: (I am 1/4th Jewish) Could that help establish me as a minority
« Reply #40 on: July 12, 2007, 11:28:26 AM »
we've got a smart one on our hands...
2L, Boston College Law

http://lawschoolnumbers.com/bamf

Around from time to time.  Always willing to answer any Qs about BC, my '06/'07 cycle or law school in general ... PMs work better ...

Sam P. Huntington

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: July 12, 2007, 11:39:57 AM »
Ok, I'll try this again.  I was referring to being Jewish in an ethnic/racial sense (yes I do consider them a race of people, as did Hitler).    Putting aside religion, I do believe there is a physical jewish race that is somewhat separate from the Caucasian race> 

Give it up. Jewish law students are about as rare as flying birds.
Boston College Law School Class of 2010

Sam P. Huntington

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: July 12, 2007, 11:41:55 AM »
I think that they should go beyond that and consider some Jews(those of actual Jewish lineage) as minorities.  They are a slowly dying out with each new generations, where as the aforementioned minorities have been self-sustaining.

I think you may be more likely to qualify for some boost for being intellectualy challeneged.  Unlike Jews, idiots like you are both moderately underrepresented at top schools and multiplying like crazy.  The whole 1/4 Jewish thing sounds like you're claiming that your great-grandmother was an Indian princess.  Which you might also believe.  There's a board called XOXO for people who don't quite understand these things, I know it can be a little hard.

Love it.
Boston College Law School Class of 2010

«ě»

• Sr. Citizen
  • non sequitur
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: July 12, 2007, 11:43:09 AM »
So they should be punished for being hard-working and intellectual curious?

I suppose if URMs should be rewarded for not being, it would be perfectly legitimate to punish ORMs for being.

Quail!

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: July 12, 2007, 12:07:44 PM »
So they should be punished for being hard-working and intellectual curious?

I suppose if URMs should be rewarded for not being, it would be perfectly legitimate to punish ORMs for being.

While we're at it, let's punish the majority as well, too many of those...

Everyone loses! (Except URMs, that is)

«ě»

• Sr. Citizen
  • non sequitur
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: July 12, 2007, 12:08:32 PM »
Or we could use common sense and judge everyone by the same standards. How about that?

Quail!

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: July 12, 2007, 12:11:39 PM »
Or we could use common sense and judge everyone by the same standards. How about that?

I was subtly hinting towards that through my sarcasm  ;)

«ě»

• Sr. Citizen
  • non sequitur
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: July 12, 2007, 12:23:55 PM »
I don't support being subtle. :p

ModernMo

• In the 24th year
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #48 on: January 21, 2008, 12:27:37 PM »
In recent years Jews did not experience any persecution in the great US of A.  So no advantage to you.  And for the record - you’re Caucasian.  (Unless you’re Sephardic, but that’s a different story.)
You don’t consider yourself Jewish and according to the Jewish law - you cant be 1/4 Jewish, you're either in or out.  And you are out.
Also, it seems like you aren’t that bright, so don’t want you in the tribe.  

Shalom!!

I don't know what you've been smoking, but in 2003, there were over 900 anti-Jewish hate crimes in the United States.  That may not seem like a lot when you take it by itself, but there were only about 200 anti-Muslim hate crimes, so there you go.  The numbers haven't changed much.

I know this thread is dead, but I had a question, and I am under the assumption that starting new threads is frowned upon unless absolutely necessary.  I don't intend on claiming to be a URM, but I was wondering about personal statements.  I'm an observant Orthodox Jew (I keep Shabbos, pray 3 times a day in addition to before/after meals, etc.), and I was just wondering if that would be appropriate to discuss.  To give a bit of context, I grew up in a neighborhood with around 50 families, and we were the only Jews.  Needless to say, it was somewhat interesting.

General2010

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: January 25, 2008, 11:43:59 AM »
That would certainly be an interesting personal statement, in terms of how your Orthodox Judaism has affected your views and upbringing, and in terms of dealing with being an Orthodox Jew in an area where it's uncommon. Frame it like that--don't frame it as, hey I'm Jewish, there were hate crimes against my people, I should be given an edge in admissions even though my religion/ethnic group is overwhelmingly overrepresented in the law field. There are hate crimes against fat people, but I would surely hope an obese person wouldn't be given an advantage solely because of this.
W&L Class of 2010