Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Résumé?  (Read 1287 times)

Alan Shore

• Sr. Citizen
  • All reality. None of it scripted.
    • View Profile
Résumé?
« on: May 19, 2007, 10:36:51 PM »
Does anybody have any tips/sites regarding a résumé aimed at law school?

Do you recommend making one (for schools that don't request or discourage them), or not?

Ersatz

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: Résumé?
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2007, 11:53:20 PM »
I really liked the sample resumes in Anna Ivey's book. Can't think of any web sites off the top of my head.

As far as including them or not - yes, enclose a resume with every application whether the schools ask for them or not. I have never seen an application that discourages including them, but if those do exist, obviously follow the instructions and don't include it.

bamf

• Sr. Citizen
  • legal eagle
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2007, 01:01:49 AM »
I remember some posters often linking to some Harvard site that apparently had good examples.  The Ivey book does also have some good ones.  If you are still in UG swing by the career services office.

I sent resumes to every school ... but remember to still answer all the questions on the application form that ask for resume-type info.
2L, Boston College Law

http://lawschoolnumbers.com/bamf

Around from time to time.  Always willing to answer any Qs about BC, my '06/'07 cycle or law school in general ... PMs work better ...

Shark

• Dnn...Dnn..
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2007, 01:35:24 AM »
Just when you thought it was safe to go back in the courthouse.

Alan Shore

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2007, 10:22:35 AM »
Great, thanks for the link!

I liked how the 3rd person works at my firm, Crane, Poole, & Schmidt. ;)

Alan Shore

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2007, 02:19:26 PM »
You might not want to give out such personal identifying info here -- but that's a personal decsion.

I'd agree with ersatz that Anna Ivey's book has some good examples. I don't recall how much she stresses it, but it is ALWAYS a good idea to keep your resume to one page. 

Great thanks for all the information everybody is giving me!

I'm going to go out and get this Anna Ivey book.

By the way - Crane, Poole, & Schmidt is a total joke.
My avatar is Alan Shore, who is an attorney at CP&S on the TV Show "Boston Legal." :)
(And this 'character' is done intentionally to not give my true identity away!)

qmmm

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 20, 2007, 02:31:52 PM »
I don't recall how much she stresses it, but it is ALWAYS a good idea to keep your resume to one page. 

I don't agree.  If you have the goods, you should put them in your resume.  What you should do, in my opinion, is to make sure the absolutely essential info is on the 1st page.  What is essential varies from situation to situation.

Ersatz

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 20, 2007, 02:32:45 PM »
You might not want to give out such personal identifying info here -- but that's a personal decsion.

I'd agree with ersatz that Anna Ivey's book has some good examples. I don't recall how much she stresses it, but it is ALWAYS a good idea to keep your resume to one page. 

Great thanks for all the information everybody is giving me!

I'm going to go out and get this Anna Ivey book.

By the way - Crane, Poole, & Schmidt is a total joke.
My avatar is Alan Shore, who is an attorney at CP&S on the TV Show "Boston Legal." :)
(And this 'character' is done intentionally to not give my true identity away!)

Yeah, the Ivey book is definitely worth the $20 or whatever it costs - there's a plethora of good advice there, and not just about resumes.

As far as length - unless you have published extensively or have a substantial number of meaningful extracurricular accomplishments, I definitely subscribe to the one-page limit for your resume. You basically want the ad comms to be able to look at it and have a concise overview of all your experiences in accomplishments. If you add a bunch of inconsequential fluff, that kind of defeats the purpose.

Pop Up Video

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 20, 2007, 03:25:24 PM »
I don't know if I could seriously get my resume under one page. Right now my resume is just 2 full pages; not really sure what I could cut out.

BTW, I've also heard conflicting points on the one page thing (a lot of people say 2 is OK, more if you have a ton of stuff to put on there.) I know admissions staffers don't have a lot of time and probably only spend <1 minute on the resume, so 1 page would make sense, but at the expense of cutting relevant info? Where else on the app would that stuff go? What do you guys put on there, just academic stuff?

just call me elle

• Sr. Citizen
  • pink, puppies, Crimson, and I belong together
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 20, 2007, 03:38:39 PM »
two is acceptable - it actually makes more sense since there's nowhere else on applications to put the information. it's not an excuse to put MORE activities/jobs/whatever, but it is a way to give a more complete explanation of what each one is without going down to size 8 font.