Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: UPenn v NYU?  (Read 1039 times)

potterykid

• View Profile
UPenn v NYU?
« on: May 19, 2007, 06:38:43 PM »
I am completely torn between UPenn and NYU. I ultimately want to go where I would be happiest. What type of social life does UPenn have?
I noticed NYU seems trendy and UPenn more scholarly. Is that accurate?
I am not sure what type of law I want to enter in, but I probably want to go into politics somewhere down the road. A former NYU professor told me that UPenn has a better national reputation and is thus more suitable for national politics. What do you think?
Thanks!

Special Agent Dana Scully

• LSD Obsessed
  • aka MCB
    • View Profile
Re: UPenn v NYU?
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2007, 06:42:24 PM »
I am completely torn between UPenn and NYU. I ultimately want to go where I would be happiest. What type of social life does UPenn have?
I am not sure what type of law I want to enter in, but I probably want to go into politics somewhere down the road. A former NYU professor told me that UPenn has a better national reputation and is thus more suitable for national politics. What do you think?
Thanks!

I don't think that's accurate.  I've never heard of either of them having a scholary erepuation, though they are btoh great schools. 

I'd say that NYU has the better national repuation judging by peer/judges/lawyer reputation scores.

Go where they have programs you like and where you think you'd be happy.
Columbia 3L

jimfoolery

• Sr. Citizen
  • Bo knows.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2007, 06:57:05 PM »

Flame.

But if not, where exactly did you "notice" this?  If you...

Ah, forget it.  Flame.
Werewolf bar mitzvah, spooky, scary,
Boys becoming men, men becoming wolves!

vercingetorix

• Sr. Citizen
  • Vive le quebec libre
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2007, 08:44:09 PM »
you probably shouldn't be basing your law school choices on social scenes (in which case you cannot beat NYC).

Towelie

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2007, 04:48:00 PM »
you probably shouldn't be basing your law school choices on social scenes (in which case you cannot beat NYC).

To some, NYC has the best social scene but to others it is the polar opposite...
Penn Law '09

nyu4ever

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2007, 06:36:08 PM »

To some, NYC has the best social scene but to others it is the polar opposite...

Couldn't you say that about any place on the planet?  "Some think it's great, others don't." 

Resident CLS Troll

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 20, 2007, 06:50:33 PM »
Totally objective and unbiased opinion: if you don't prefer one over the other, the better bet is NYU. 

Towelie

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 20, 2007, 07:00:34 PM »

Couldn't you say that about any place on the planet?  "Some think it's great, others don't." 

Exactly. That's why I don't get it when people say NYC hands-down is the best place to live in the world. That's not true for everyone.
Penn Law '09

euphory

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: May 22, 2007, 08:29:14 PM »
if you want to practice in NYC, i think it's best to get out of the city for a while, because you gonna live there for rest of your life anyway.

I'm from NYC and i really think going to ug away from NYC and east coast in general helped me open up my perspectives. But then again, going to a school in NYC might help prepare you living there.

as for social scene, you're going to be studying all the time anyway! lol, jk. i think it really depends on the individual to create a social scene for him/herself.

they are similar schools, so i think you should consider program, class size, money... ect.

Towelie

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 23, 2007, 07:30:01 AM »
Exactly. That's why I don't get it when people say NYC hands-down is the best place to live in the world. That's not true for everyone whose net worth is less than $100m.

Fixed.

That's pretty accurate. If I were a multi, multi-millionare, I wouldn't mind living in NYC.
Penn Law '09