Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Waitlisted International Students?  (Read 3187 times)

NewHere

• View Profile
Re: Waitlisted International Students?
« Reply #10 on: June 02, 2007, 12:51:24 PM »
I'm surprised. The information the university sent me did specifically warn against giving them the impression that you want to stay. And with law of course it's quite difficult not to give that impression.

ě

• Sr. Citizen
  • non sequitur
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 02, 2007, 01:09:49 PM »
Yes, that sounds quite weird. UChicago for example explicitly states on their webpage that they expect foreign students come with the intentions of making a career in America. And I certainly wouldn't think the US has any kind of bias against Dutch people.

NewHere

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 02, 2007, 01:19:41 PM »
Yes, I was a bit alarmed at reading this link:
http://www.columbia.edu/cu/isso/visa/F-1/index.html
(scroll down to Step 8.)

ě

• Sr. Citizen
  • non sequitur
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 02, 2007, 01:33:32 PM »
Yeah, this is more about the USGOV's attitude than the school's, they don't want immigrants to come on a nonimmigrant VISA; which is sort of understandable. Yet the nature of a J.D. is so geographically specific - there are some, but not many jobs outside the US - I don't think it's a major problem.

I also believe it is somewhat tied to this point in immigration policy;

[quote 7. Not All Countries are Equal
Applicants from countries suffering economic problems or from countries where many students have remained in the United States as immigrants will have more difficulty getting visas. Statistically, applicants from those countries are more likely to be intending immigrants. They are also more likely to be asked about job opportunities at home after their study in the United States.[/quote]

I think they're less likely to be worried about a moderately affluent European than for example a broke, non-educated Iranian who wants to come in. In the interview I had, there was really little substantial info asked at all, they seemed more than content I wanted to stay in the US as well.

superrob-rp7

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 15, 2007, 09:41:53 PM »
Getting a student visa takes about 3 to 5 days, and valid from the day it is stamped in your passport. You have no reason to worry at this stage.

Sure, it takes a relatively short time to have a student visa issued after submitting all the required documentation (a week or so I'm told), but there are numerous steps before that:

- Receive acceptance letter from school
- Send statement of financial responsibility to school
- School to issue I-20
- Schedule, and interview with US embassy / complete and submit required documentation

Considering that it took about a month to receive my I-20 from my second choice school (no delay on my part sending financial responsibility statement), I think 2 months in a realistic time frame, allowing for unforeseen delays as well (remember a lot of the above steps are beyond your control).  In addition, I don't want to arrive in the US the day before orientation starts (a few weeks before would be ideal), plus it is a busy time for the US embassy issuing visas, with lots of summer students applying.   

So I think I should be worrying at this stage.

ě, NewHere, it turns out I was wrong in my earlier post, so here goes.

I had a visa approved based on my second-choice school's I-20.  In the event I opt to go to another school, they said I only need to show that school's I-20 to the immigration officer upon arrival in the US.  So the interviewing I said was required, is not.  Sorry for the wrong info.

NewHere, like ě, I told the interviewer that I intend to stay in the US after graduation.  No problem at all.  Although, I was asked where my family were.  I told him (truthfully) that none of my family are in the US, or my home country (Japan).  I cannot say for sure whether the latter was a factor in his reaction.

I'm still waiting to hear from my first choice, by the way.     

ě

• Sr. Citizen
  • non sequitur
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: June 16, 2007, 07:30:38 AM »
That's cool, guess everything has worked out for the best at least then :) Good luck on the wait list too.

Which school are you in at, and which are you waiting to hear from?

superrob-rp7

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 16, 2007, 11:34:52 AM »
That's cool, guess everything has worked out for the best at least then :) Good luck on the wait list too.

Which school are you in at, and which are you waiting to hear from?

Thanks for the good wishes.  I'm in at Miami, waiting to hear from Maryland.

If I may, why are you deferring?

ě

• Sr. Citizen
  • non sequitur
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 16, 2007, 11:36:13 AM »
Medical reasons, plus I'm a bit lazy :p

superrob-rp7

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 16, 2007, 11:58:22 PM »
Medical reasons, plus I'm a bit lazy :p
Sorry to hear that...hope all goes well next year.