Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Poll: Your favorite Founding Father  (Read 5859 times)

attic4fp

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Law School Numbers Profile
Re: Poll: Your favorite Founding Father
« Reply #30 on: May 19, 2007, 09:41:24 PM »
Honestly, they all seemed like douches due to their approval of slavery and whatnot.  

Hamilton did not support slavery.  He was strongly opposed to it and wished for its abolition.

Although he and Morris are wonderful, Washington is my favorite.

Also, this argument is tedious.  Let's talk about fun founding fathers instead.

Letsgo

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #31 on: May 19, 2007, 09:43:36 PM »
Oh.  Maybe that's why you're not very bright.

Aww, poor baby!  You were wrong about something?  f-ing moron.

Wow, why the hostility?  It's not my fault you're a TTT.

Actually, I am an acid taking, peace loving, die-hard liberal-hippie feminist who lives in Manhattan.  I grew up in New Jersey.  I believe that if you don't like this country, you should complain and "petition the government" because that is what the Constitution encourages us to do.  I believe gun-control is a good idea, and the Second Amendment does not give every individual a right to own a firearm.  I also believe George W.  Bush, is possibly the worst president this country has ever had.  Where on Earth did you get the idea that I would think otherwise?  Is it because I think the Constitution is a great document?  Idiot.  That's cute that you used the word honey, which as you know is degrading to women.  Perhaps you should go back to Texas.  Also, since you made fun of me for not knowing law school acronyms, what does SLS stand for?  Stanford?

Oh, nice edits.

Yes, that's what it stands for.

I don't care if you self-identify as a liberal or a conservative.  You're still an idiot.  Not just because you think the Constitution is brilliant; mostly because you think that people who don't love it shouldn't go to law school.  That's precisely the same attitude of the "love it or leave it" conservatives.  Top it off with your religious- or supernatural-type thinking, and, well, you know.

Go drop some more acid, doll.  I'm sure it will lend your world a semblance of coherence.

There's a modify button, so you can make edits too.  Was I not allowed to edit my post?  I'm sorry.  Yea, I feel that someone who fails to recognize how great of a document the Constitution is, really shouldn't be a lawyer.  You may disgree with some parts, but if you really think its not a worthwile or "good" document, then that is a shame.  Perhaps if you can name another founding document that gives people the amount of freedom we have today and that also allows itself to be changed thoughout different generations as the US Constitution does, then you might have a point.  And, that's cute how you're trying to bait me with your derogatory comments.  It's also cute that you make a drug reference, when you've never tried the drug.  It got me a full scholly at a T2, so I'm happy :)
Cardozo '09

Letsgo

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #32 on: May 19, 2007, 10:17:08 PM »
Yea, I feel that someone who fails to recognize how great of a document the Constitution is, really shouldn't be a lawyer.  You may disgree with some parts, but if you really think its not a worthwile or "good" document, then that is a shame.  Perhaps if you can name another founding document that gives people the amount of freedom we have today and that also allows itself to be changed thoughout different generations as the US Constitution does, then you might have a point.  And, that's cute how you're trying to bait me with your derogatory comments.  It's also cute that you make a drug reference, when you've never tried the drug.  It got me a full scholly at a T2, so I'm happy :)

You're not familiar with Sandy Levinson, are you?  Even though I linked to his homepage/book.

Obviously the U.S. Constitution is good to the extent that it is good.  It's not brilliant -- there are a number of better constitutions out there.  And it doesn't do a great job of protecting liberty (the courts haven't been bad overall, however, largely in spite of the seeming constitutional limits placed on them).  It's anti-democratic and at times nonfunctional, which for some (or no) reason doesn't bother you.  And the fact that it's been read as a constitution is largely because C.J. Marshall gave us Marbury, and the political preferences of great justices like Brennan.

No I'm not familiar with him, and I haven't become familiar with his book, in the few hours that I've had the link.  It does bother me that it's anti-democratic; however, this has largely been a result of interpretations of the Constitution by the Supreme Court.  Furthermore, the Supreme Court is, by it's nature, anti-democratic.  I am extremely upset at the expansive powers of the excutive as this basically destroys checks and balances/separation of powers and, of course, a large executive is also anti-democratic.  Also, Brennan and Ginsburg are two of my favorite justices, so I suppose we have that in common.  I still feel that it is a brilliant document, even though, according to you there may be better documents out there.  This does not make a document not brilliant, however.  I suppose we can agree to disagree.
Cardozo '09

H4CS

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: May 19, 2007, 10:30:31 PM »
It does bother me that it's anti-democratic; however, this has largely been a result of interpretations of the Constitution by the Supreme Court.

Yeah, that whole 3/5 thing was just a bad interpretation.  Should've listened to Hamilton, bb's favorite and mine as well.

attic4fp

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Law School Numbers Profile
« Reply #34 on: May 19, 2007, 11:21:30 PM »
It does bother me that it's anti-democratic; however, this has largely been a result of interpretations of the Constitution by the Supreme Court.

Yeah, that whole 3/5 thing was just a bad interpretation.  Should've listened to Hamilton, bb's favorite and mine as well.

Hamilton was so awesome.  There, my friends, was a founder.

H4CS

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: May 19, 2007, 11:27:39 PM »
Hamilton was so awesome.  There, my friends, was a founder.

He was so real he got shot for it.

Brito

• Sr. Citizen
    • AOL Instant Messenger - ViolaLovesMusic
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #36 on: May 20, 2007, 12:22:03 AM »
THOMAS JEFFERSON!!!!
Harvard 2010

Letsgo

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #37 on: May 20, 2007, 12:40:21 AM »

This is only true if you don't believe in text at all -- i.e., to the extent that Justice Thomas doesn't believe in stare decisis or living constitutionalism.

Also, Brennan and Ginsburg are two of my favorite justices, so I suppose we have that in common.

Don't count on it.  I think I honestly like Thomas more than Ginsburg.

I can't stand Thomas.  For instance, he rallies against the same program that helped him at Holy Cross.  Secondly, I just feel originalism is a bankrupt constitutional philosophy.
Cardozo '09

Miss P

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: May 20, 2007, 12:53:24 AM »
Paine, probably.
That's who I would've picked if I had actually thought about it--assuming Penn doesn't count.

This was precisely my thinking, and I feel much better about it knowing you're in the same corner, kid.

4.  Again, it's anti-democratic.  You failed to address this.  See, e.g., representation in the House...

Halfie, did you mean in the Senate, or is this a more subtle argument (than I can immediately apprehend).

Also, you're really fixated on this Tim Johnson thing, eh?  :D
That's cool how you referenced a case.

Quote from: archival
I'm so far from the end of my tether right now that I reckon I could knit myself some socks with the slack.

Miss P

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: May 20, 2007, 12:54:48 AM »
I can't stand Thomas.  For instance, he rallies against the same program that helped him at Holy Cross.  Secondly, I just feel originalism is a bankrupt constitutional philosophy.

At least he's honest and predictable.  His opinions surely aren't the most entertaining or (lord knows) progressive, but he doesn't ever hide the ball.
That's cool how you referenced a case.

Quote from: archival
I'm so far from the end of my tether right now that I reckon I could knit myself some socks with the slack.