Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: IOWA  (Read 5483 times)

eoh

• View Profile
Re: IOWA
« Reply #20 on: June 19, 2007, 12:31:36 PM »
i'm so glad i found this thread and to know there are other people in the same boat as me...i just talked to the admissions office and they said they are not sending out any acceptance letters, if any, until the end of july. however, they will be starting to look at the waitlist applicants in the next week or so to start sending out rejection letters  :(

hang in there!

Jack Bauer

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 19, 2007, 08:17:16 PM »
I heard it's very unlikely that Iowa will be using its wait list at all.  Also, if they need to use the wait list, it sounds like Iowa residents have priority.  Basically, the only way any of us can get picked off the wait list is if people start changing their minds about attending Iowa this fall.  Sounds like they have a full house  :-\

Good luck to everyone though, I hope some of us get off the WL!

Jack Bauer

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 24, 2007, 09:45:39 PM »
Any news?  I see on LSN that a couple people have recently been rejected off the waitlist.

Ihateferns

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 26, 2007, 01:40:56 PM »
I just checked the admissions tracker, and lo and behold, it says, "waitlist terminated." My rejection was further made official through snail mail. I called admissions anonymously, and the staffer said that the school has a very full class this year, and they'll start taking people off the waitlist in the next few weeks.

Sorry for the bad news, but it doesn't sound hopeful. Do you have any alternate schools?

Jack Bauer

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 26, 2007, 02:25:36 PM »
I just checked the admissions tracker, and lo and behold, it says, "waitlist terminated." My rejection was further made official through snail mail. I called admissions anonymously, and the staffer said that the school has a very full class this year, and they'll start taking people off the waitlist in the next few weeks.

Sorry for the bad news, but it doesn't sound hopeful. Do you have any alternate schools?

She said admissions would start taking people off the waitlist in the next few weeks?  I got the impression that they would only go to the waitlist if they absolutely had to, and that it's highly unlikely they will need the waitlist at all.  Did you get this same impression when you talked to them?  (I talked to them over the phone yesterday).

Ihateferns

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 26, 2007, 04:01:24 PM »
I got the impression that Iowa will start thinning the wait list, meaning there will be a slew of rejections going out in the next few weeks. I'm sure it'll keep a small wait list just in case, since it's more beneficial for the school to keep people on than take them off.

cbpr

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #26 on: July 10, 2007, 02:38:15 PM »
I remember being so excited when I got off the wait list for Iowa. Turns out that attending Iowa was about the biggest mistake of my life. In the five years I have been out of school, I have lived in D.C. and Chicago. I found out first hand that Iowa has a very, very, very weak professional reputation. Basically, I realized that I would have been better off going to schools like Kent or American and doing better than going to Iowa. Frankly, unless you are at the top 10% of your class coming out of Iowa, you won't have many options in the bigger cities (especially on the west and east coasts). You will be left looking at low paying jobs in toilet law (and you will work just as many hours as they do in Biglaw). The cso at Iowa won't do *&^% for you, and Karen Klouda is too busy stuffing her fat face with candy to help anyone get a job. Trust me, getting into Iowa is no blessing, and I truly hate that school. As for me, I have realized my Iowa degree isn't worth *&^% and I am giving serious consideration to going and getting an MBA.

Megatron11

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 11, 2007, 11:46:04 AM »
FYI:

Iowa sent all admitted students postcards asking whether or not they planned to attend Iowa in the fall.  There was no real deadline for these postcards, and I imagine that after these are turned in, they will truly know how many to accept off the waitlist.  (For instance, I only turned mine in about four days ago.)

Also, I decided last minute -- after paying the deposits and everything -- not to attend Iowa (due to waitlist movement at another school).  So, that has to be a seat that's opened up!  I don't think waiting on the Iowa waitlist is as futile as you all think!  I bet most movement occurs later this month, after the postcards are collected.

Best of luck to you all, I know how much it stinks to wait.

Megatron11

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 11, 2007, 11:50:36 AM »
I guess I should've added that the postcards were sent with the welcome package, postmarked June 26.

Jack Bauer

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 18, 2007, 03:31:11 PM »
Any news?