Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: The "Should I go to law school thread"  (Read 1912 times)

compass

• does not point north
    • View Profile
Re: The "Should I go to law school thread"
« Reply #20 on: May 19, 2007, 03:36:18 AM »
3. I think that law would be intellectually stimulating and interesting. I've sat in on a class at IUB and I thought that the stuff was interesting. the classes themselves look interesting.

It's not.

4. my parents do want me to go to law school, and all of my friends are in grad programs.

This has to be flamebait.

Those are terrible reasons to go to law school.

5. I'm very analytical, and I think I would benefit from the structure that law school provides. And, looking at the other jobs out there... I can see myself being very bored with just about everything.

You seem to have confused "law" with "math."  Law is analytical mush.

6. I've met lawyers who were public defenders... not so appealing. I've also met JD's who were advertising executives. Interesting.

If a non-legal job is more appealing to you than being a legal practitioner, perhaps shelling out $120k for a law degree isn't a great idea.  Maybe you should work for three years and then get an MBA.

2. the work after law school. I keep on hearing nightmare stories from biglaw firms. I also don't want to end up doing petty stuff like divorce/tax/public defender. I'm just worried that I'll incur all this debt and be unable to pay it back.

Don't like tax, eh?  What type of law do you intend to practice at a large law firm, assuming you can get such a job?  Even if so you'll probably hate it; most people do.
Quote from: goaliechica
It's a [compass]!
Now I want pie.*
*These statements may or may not be related.

ě

• Sr. Citizen
  • non sequitur
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 19, 2007, 08:23:36 AM »
I don't buy the parts about law not being interesting, nor that most people in law firms hate their jobs. Rest of it seems pretty kosher to me.

Thistle

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 19, 2007, 10:11:01 AM »
I don't buy the parts about law not being interesting, nor that most people in law firms hate their jobs. Rest of it seems pretty kosher to me.

youll see.

mind-numbingly boring.

except, so far, torts and crim law, where you have the occasional severed head and cannibalism to keep you interested.
non ex transverso sed deorsum

JD

compass

• does not point north
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 19, 2007, 12:20:10 PM »

It's not interesting, and most people who start at large law firms DO hate their jobs.  But hey, you'll see for yourself.
Quote from: goaliechica
It's a [compass]!
Now I want pie.*
*These statements may or may not be related.

ks2pa

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 19, 2007, 12:43:22 PM »
You are right.  It is a lot of freaking money to pay for something you aren't sure that you want to do.  If you aren't sure that is what you want to do...don't do it!  At least not now.  You might not be able to get a great job right out of school w/an english degree but you might be suprised.  I don't know what area you live in, but where I live (Kansas City) if you put your resume on monster and have any college degree you will get contacted.  My friend has a polisci degree (about as marketable as english) and put his resume on monster and now makes 35k (which is decent in KC) working for some online university.  They contacted him.  He really likes his job.

An english degree means you can work as a paralegal as well.  Why not do that and see what you think?  There are certainly options, they may not be fancy 6 figure jobs but they do exist.

adlai

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 19, 2007, 01:32:21 PM »
jeez, it's beat up on me day.

Okay, reading up on it... tax law looks like it might be interesting.

on the paralegal front, lots of jobs seem to require paralegal certification.

stateofbeasley

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • The State of Beasley blog
    • Email
« Reply #26 on: May 19, 2007, 02:32:41 PM »
I also recommend being a paralegal for a year or two first. 

Advantages:
(1) Observe lawyers and what firm life is like [MOST IMPORTANT]
(2) Make connections in the legal community
(3) Generate money to help pay for law school if you decide to go

Best of luck, and whatever you do, choose wisely.

vap

• Sr. Citizen
  • Attorney
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 19, 2007, 03:17:10 PM »

Tax law can be very interesting, especially the shelter stuff (think KPMG, Jenkins and Gilchrist, etc.).

What cities are you looking at for jobs?  Most DC firms and federal government positions do not require a certificate.  When I was looking for jobs, I noticed that employers in my home state (Texas) often preferred paralegal certificates or equivalent degrees.  Depends on your location.

Check out www.usajobs.gov.  Many 2-year term paralegal positions pay over $36,000 starting and increase to $46,000 after a year.  No overtime pay, but you work regular hours.

adlai

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 19, 2007, 03:34:09 PM »
okay, I've made my choice.

I'm going to work in Pennsylvania for a year in order to gain residency, then shoot for Temple. In-state, it shouldn't be too bad, plus I can figure out if I really want to do it.

Thistle

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 19, 2007, 04:18:39 PM »

Tax law can be very interesting, especially the shelter stuff (think KPMG, Jenkins and Gilchrist, etc.).

What cities are you looking at for jobs?  Most DC firms and federal government positions do not require a certificate.  When I was looking for jobs, I noticed that employers in my home state (Texas) often preferred paralegal certificates or equivalent degrees.  Depends on your location.

Check out www.usajobs.gov.  Many 2-year term paralegal positions pay over $36,000 starting and increase to $46,000 after a year.  No overtime pay, but you work regular hours.

i have applied for some of those having one year of law school completed and 28 years of other work experience and have been found unqualified.

they are not easy to get
non ex transverso sed deorsum

JD