Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: The "Should I go to law school thread"  (Read 1897 times)

adlai

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
The "Should I go to law school thread"
« on: May 18, 2007, 10:47:08 AM »
So someone recommended that I read "Should I really be a lawyer" by deborah schneider... I don't feel like spending the money and waiting for the book when the exact same thing can be done here. In short, I'm going gaga over the 6-figure debt at my options amongst lower 2nd tier schools. So, here are my reasons for going to law school, in no particular order

1. I can't find a decent job now. For some stupid reason I chose an english lit undergrad degree, which is only good for getting into grad school
2. english lit grad school I think I would find it irritating. especially the lackluster job prospects. I also don't want to spend more time in undergrad to pursue another academic direction
3. I think that law would be intellectually stimulating and interesting. I've sat in on a class at IUB and I thought that the stuff was interesting. the classes themselves look interesting.
4. my parents do want me to go to law school, and all of my friends are in grad programs.
5. I'm very analytical, and I think I would benefit from the structure that law school provides. And, looking at the other jobs out there... I can see myself being very bored with just about everything.
6. I've met lawyers who were public defenders... not so appealing. I've also met JD's who were advertising executives. Interesting.

basically, my doubts come down to two things:

1. the f-ing debt. 6 figures is alot. Way too much. If it were 50-80k, I'd have a much easier time stomaching it. For the past few weeks since getting the financial aid report, I've been worried sick about the debt.

2. the work after law school. I keep on hearing nightmare stories from biglaw firms. I also don't want to end up doing petty stuff like divorce/tax/public defender. I'm just worried that I'll incur all this debt and be unable to pay it back.

in the end... everyone has doubts I'm certain. anyone have anything to add?

juliemccoy

• Sr. Citizen
  • Treat??
    • View Profile
Re: The "Should I go to law school thread"
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2007, 10:56:48 AM »
If you have doubts or have to ask "should I go to law school at all" on an internet message board, then don't go. Go if you have solid career plans and reasoning for being a lawyer, then go to law school. It sounds to me like you are trying to find a grad program to delay having to go to work.

Go work for a few years. As an Eng. List major, you aren't qualified to do anything, but you can get a teaching certification and teach school. Or you could write for a newspaper, be an editor for a technical magazine, answer phones at a publishing company and work your way up, get your real estate license and sell property, take an internship and learn about marketing or advertising or public relations and get a job doing that, or an internship in an HR dept and learn how to become a hiring manager. You could become a legislative ass't for a Congressman. The opportunities are endless. Your UG degree is really meaningless-- it is just something to make you appear credible. Get some legit experience in a post-college internship. Take an inventory of the things that interest you... like spending a few bucks for a book that may recommend career options based on your interests.
Vanderbilt 2010

jdesq2007

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2007, 11:10:15 AM »
If you have doubts or have to ask "should I go to law school at all" on an internet message board, then don't go. Go if you have solid career plans and reasoning for being a lawyer, then go to law school. It sounds to me like you are trying to find a grad program to delay having to go to work.

Go work for a few years. As an Eng. List major, you aren't qualified to do anything, but you can get a teaching certification and teach school. Or you could write for a newspaper, be an editor for a technical magazine, answer phones at a publishing company and work your way up, get your real estate license and sell property, take an internship and learn about marketing or advertising or public relations and get a job doing that, or an internship in an HR dept and learn how to become a hiring manager. You could become a legislative ass't for a Congressman. The opportunities are endless. Your UG degree is really meaningless-- it is just something to make you appear credible. Get some legit experience in a post-college internship. Take an inventory of the things that interest you... like spending a few bucks for a book that may recommend career options based on your interests.

TITCR
USC Law 2010!

In: USC($$$), BC, Notre Dame($$), OSU($), Emory($$), American, UIUC($$$), WUSTL($$)

WL: UVA, GULC, GWU

Out: None

Towelie

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2007, 11:14:46 AM »
So someone recommended that I read "Should I really be a lawyer" by deborah schneider... I don't feel like spending the money and waiting for the book when the exact same thing can be done here. In short, I'm going gaga over the 6-figure debt at my options amongst lower 2nd tier schools. So, here are my reasons for going to law school, in no particular order

1. I can't find a decent job now. For some stupid reason I chose an english lit undergrad degree, which is only good for getting into grad school
2. english lit grad school I think I would find it irritating. especially the lackluster job prospects. I also don't want to spend more time in undergrad to pursue another academic direction
3. I think that law would be intellectually stimulating and interesting. I've sat in on a class at IUB and I thought that the stuff was interesting. the classes themselves look interesting.
4. my parents do want me to go to law school, and all of my friends are in grad programs.
5. I'm very analytical, and I think I would benefit from the structure that law school provides. And, looking at the other jobs out there... I can see myself being very bored with just about everything.
6. I've met lawyers who were public defenders... not so appealing. I've also met JD's who were advertising executives. Interesting.

basically, my doubts come down to two things:

1. the f-ing debt. 6 figures is alot. Way too much. If it were 50-80k, I'd have a much easier time stomaching it. For the past few weeks since getting the financial aid report, I've been worried sick about the debt.

2. the work after law school. I keep on hearing nightmare stories from biglaw firms. I also don't want to end up doing petty stuff like divorce/tax/public defender. I'm just worried that I'll incur all this debt and be unable to pay it back.

in the end... everyone has doubts I'm certain. anyone have anything to add?

Though I have no desire to practice it, I just wanted to say that tax law is by no means "petty."
Penn Law '09

adlai

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2007, 11:54:33 AM »

it's healthy to have doubts about everything. Law school has been a long-term interest of mine, coming out of high school.

What are your reasons for going to law? I don't think that everyone going into law school has a specific cause.

paul1454

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2007, 12:03:23 PM »
Though I have no desire to practice it, I just wanted to say that tax law is by no means "petty."

I was thinking the same thing.

ě

• Sr. Citizen
  • non sequitur
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2007, 12:10:08 PM »
I far from agree that it's healthy to have doubts about everything, but the nature of the law profession is to be risk averse, so in that category you probably fit in.

As your worries for job prospects, they are understandable, but do not take the loudest crying whiners for representatives of the majority of law school graduates. Trust me, if life was as bad as the doomsday prophets claim, you'd have JDs marching to DC to burn down congress or something. And obviously, you do not.

English lit is a very useless ugrad (I have the same major), and law school is a good way to continue from there. Even a tier three school would improve your job prospects, and compared to getting a teaching certificate where you hit your salary cap about 10 minutes after being employed, the potential for a lawyer is much greater, even if you might have to work very hard at getting there.

skeeball

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 18, 2007, 12:13:52 PM »

Or divorce law for that matter...

ě

• Sr. Citizen
  • non sequitur
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 18, 2007, 12:15:55 PM »
Or public defender for that matter

Gunnery Sergeant Hartman

• What is your major malfunction?!
    • View Profile