Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: 'Charged' for a crime  (Read 477 times)

ě

• Sr. Citizen
  • non sequitur
    • View Profile
'Charged' for a crime
« on: May 18, 2007, 10:12:22 AM »
Seeing that legal terms aren't the same globally, could someone give me a solid definition of what it means to be charged for a crime (thinking of the context of law school apps and ABA rules etc). I have been questioned as a suspect in a criminal case, but the police dropped the case due to lack of evidence. Was I charged? Or are you only charged when the DA decides to make it formal?

Thistle

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
Re: 'Charged' for a crime
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2007, 10:14:22 AM »
Seeing that legal terms aren't the same globally, could someone give me a solid definition of what it means to be charged for a crime (thinking of the context of law school apps and ABA rules etc). I have been questioned as a suspect in a criminal case, but the police dropped the case due to lack of evidence. Was I charged? Or are you only charged when the DA decides to make it formal?

yes
non ex transverso sed deorsum

JD

awesomepossum

• Sr. Citizen
  • Playing possum can go too far
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2007, 10:17:06 AM »
As an expert 'Law and Order' watcher, I think you're only charged with a crime if you're placed under arrest and arraigned in front of a judge.  

Of course if Jack McCoy is your ADA, you're screwed.

But yeah, in reality, I don't think you were charged.  If I were you, I might talk to a lawyer though.  But then again, I'm a nervous nellie with regards to these things.
U.Michigan 2011 (deferred from '10)

John Blackthorne

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2007, 10:26:40 AM »

I'm certain that you were (and still are) guilty.  But, no, you were not charged.
"I only eat inorganic foods. If it doesn't contain molybdenum or something from the noble gases, I'm just not interested"-- Lyle McDonald

ě

• Sr. Citizen
  • non sequitur
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2007, 10:28:31 AM »
As a matter of fact, I was "guilty", although it was as justifiable as it gets.

Well, this is the same impression I got, but as you say, it was largely based on Law & Order, not reality :) Also, Norwegian police records are sealed, unless convicted, so I also doubt that even if I had been charged, the ABA or the AALS would be able to find out... But I kinda expect disclosure is better than getting screwed over 5 years down the line.

Astro

• LSD Obsessed
  • Happy birthday goalie!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2007, 10:28:40 AM »

I'm certain that you were (and still are) guilty.  But, no, you were not charged.

:D :D :D
J, if you didn't bring enough penis for everyone, you shouldn't have brought any penis at all.