Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Housing in Newark  (Read 1401 times)

sprintflash

• View Profile
    • Email
Housing in Newark
« on: May 17, 2007, 04:53:33 PM »
Hey folks,

I'm looking to move to Newark (Rutgers) in the late summer. Being that I am from DC, I don't know the city that well. I have visited and Newark isn't worse then any other city I've ever lived. With that being said, I want to live in Newark. ANyone have any suggestions where to look or better yet is anyone looking for a roommate?

dukedogalley

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: Housing in Newark
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2007, 05:35:03 PM »
Hey folks,

I'm looking to move to Newark (Rutgers) in the late summer. Being that I am from DC, I don't know the city that well. I have visited and Newark isn't worse then any other city I've ever lived. With that being said, I want to live in Newark. ANyone have any suggestions where to look or better yet is anyone looking for a roommate?

http://www.eleven80rentals.com/

RUMike

• Sr. Citizen
  • I switched it up with a self tar.
    • AOL Instant Messenger - Mike101985
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2007, 09:56:08 PM »
Are you sure you don't want to live in Jersey City? It'd be a 15 minute train ride.

sprintflash

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2007, 10:21:03 AM »
Duke....This place looks nice....How expensive is it?

sprintflash

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2007, 10:23:48 AM »
RUMike...yeha man A) Im tired of commuting..remember I work in DC ..I want to be close to school, so if Im there late I dont have to worry about transportation back, and B) jersey city is unnecessarily expensive...I mean i'm sure I could find some nice places for a good price, but i might as well just find a nicer place/neighborhood in Newark and be closer...

sarahlina

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2007, 10:28:06 AM »
When I visited Newark I liked the Ironbound district - right behind Penn Station.  Look for it in Craig's List.

http://www.lawschooldiscussion.org/prelaw/index.php/topic,86849.0.html
See this thread for discussions about NJ housing

dukedogalley

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2007, 10:29:15 AM »
Duke....This place looks nice....How expensive is it?

From what I understand alot of Seton and Rutgers students live there...it is a nice building but it is def on the expensive side for Newark....i think it is 1590 for a 1BR...however, factoring in the $$ you wouldnt be spending on transportation it might be worth it...check out craigslist...there are alot of listings in newark for much cheaper...

conrad42

• Ceci n'est pas une law student.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 18, 2007, 10:33:58 AM »
RUMike...yeha man A) Im tired of commuting..remember I work in DC ..I want to be close to school, so if Im there late I dont have to worry about transportation back, and B) jersey city is unnecessarily expensive...I mean i'm sure I could find some nice places for a good price, but i might as well just find a nicer place/neighborhood in Newark and be closer...

For NY Metro Area, Jersey City is considered cheap, but don't bother looking at the highrises around Newport and Exchange Place. Those are close to NY prices. There are plenty of reasonably priced apartments in brownstones if you look for them. Newark neighborhoods are dangerous; if you know what your doing and know how to handle yourself, good luck, but I strongly recommend against Newark if you don't know the area. I believe PATH runs 24/7, so transportation to and from Jersey City shouldn't be an issue. Besides, Jersey City and Hoboken have a much better night life.  ;)

sarahlina

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 18, 2007, 11:40:23 AM »
There are some sections of Newark that are nice to live in.  I met a bunch of current students who live in the brownstones very close to campus, in the Ironbound district, in the  townhouses on Society Hill, or in the dorms.

sprintflash

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: May 18, 2007, 02:42:39 PM »
Conrad.. thanks for the advise, but I kind of laugh when people (seems like always students are visitors, never inhabitants of the city) see as safe and unsafe...I have lived in places that other outsiders qualify as dangerous and not ever felt it was dangerous myself...Newark doesn't seem any different from places NE in DC, Dorchester in Boston, etc...With that being said, I know Ironbound, Murry Hills., etc are nice. and close...