Law School Discussion

Vermont Law School, need info

Vermont Law School, need info
« on: May 16, 2007, 11:28:21 PM »
Applying to Vermont Law School has just been very good experience. They treat you well, respond promptly and with care. I am truly impressed. However, I know very little about the area, and the school. I view it as a top third tier school, with a great environmental program (something which may be useful in the future but I am not that interested in). What is their grading curve like? I am from a big city, but I dont mind living in a small town. Although some entertainment would be great, just so I dont go crazy. If anyone can provide me with a feel for the school and the surrounding area, it would be greatly appreciated.

Re: Vermont Law School, need info
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2007, 11:02:45 AM »
I took the LSAT there, and lived in rural Vermont for a time though not in South Royalton.  I didn't apply or consider the school so I don't know much about the school specifically, aside from the very nice LSAT proctors.  I thought you  might nonetheless appreciate some thoughts on Vermont.

It's rural.  Not a small city, not a small town, rural.  You cross a bridge over a river off a nice country road to enter South Royalton.  The Law School is to your right with a big dirt parking lot behind it.  The building, as I recall, was pretty nice.  Up the road a few hundred feet is the 'town,' which I think was just a grocery store or a general store and a few shops - if it's typical of vermont it's a hardware store and a book store, but I really don't remember.

So that's it.  There's some housing spreading out from that center area and then it's all just country.  The river is really nice and there's a cool swimming hole just up the street that I enjoyed after taking the LSAT.  I doubt very much there's much in the way of entertainment or culture, and I do think you will go crazy with the lack of entertainment, especially if you're from a big city.  Apart from law school students and faculty, there's probably only a few hundred people in a thirty mile radius.  I think you're about an hour from White River Junction, which is a historic vermont town but decent sized.  Maybe an hour and a half or two from burlington, which is a pretty hip little college city on a big lake.  Another hour past burlington is montreal, which is full of culture and entertainment.  Probably a few hours south to boston for the same.  Doubt you'll have the time to travel that far during law school though.

Living in vermont is a really unique experience.  It's a cool place but i think you'll have some culture shock coming from a big city.  I would highly recommend you go visit before spending six figures on an education.  Would you spend $100,000 on a car without taking a test drive?

Saja

• Into enemy territory...
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2007, 03:26:11 PM »
I would like to reiterate what cogent said about South Royalton being RURAL.  I'm a native Vermonter from a town of a similar size, and there really is nothing to do, save if you're the outdoorsy type.

That being said, it is at least right on the interstate, and extremely picturesque.  The law school grounds are quaint and beautiful.  I believe there is maybe one bar and a couple restaurants there, but for real entertainment it will be at least a 1-2 hour drive.  However, there will be other students in your same position, so at least you'll be in it together.  At the very least you could probably rent a big house and have bonfire parties. :D

t...

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2007, 06:31:49 PM »
It really might be the neatest place to study law in the US.

Hastings has a semester exchange with VLS that I'm absolutely going to take advantage of.

Quail!

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2007, 08:22:00 AM »
That sounds like the most relaxing and picturesque place ever....screw it I'm going to Vermont.

If only Goddard had a law school...

skeeball

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2007, 08:25:51 AM »
I remember driving past the exit for the school on our way up to Sugarbush for skiing over winter break.

I know the school's not affiliated with UVM, but why didn't they put the law school closer to Burlington or Montpelier?

« Reply #6 on: May 22, 2007, 09:01:50 AM »
If they would have offered me $$ I would have considered them... I wish I had visited, I'd bet its gorgeous out there.

Steak Pita

• Self 'tar.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 22, 2007, 07:00:17 PM »
I'm also a native Vermonter and can tell you that it is in a very picturesque rural area. You definitely won't get a lot of big city entertainment, but there might be some cultural opportunities in Hanover, NH, where Dartmouth College is, which is only about 25 minutes away.

I will warn you that I have a good friend who currently goes there and says that most of his classmates are borderline retarded. Of course, this could be good news depending on how you look at it.

« Reply #8 on: May 23, 2007, 09:06:26 AM »
Thank you all, it does sound like a nice place. Might be refreshing living in a small town. Also I love skiing, so that alone could keep me entertained. But hopefully I will have the opportunity to visit soon and make up my mind.

« Reply #9 on: May 23, 2007, 09:46:00 PM »
seems like an excellent place to build a bowling alley...

i'm there if this whole law thing doesn't pan out.