Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Which Cooley campus?  (Read 2864 times)

CCH

• View Profile
Re: Which Cooley campus?
« Reply #30 on: May 18, 2007, 12:31:02 PM »
Now, I live in Tallahassee so I could be completely wrong, but I've heard that many parts of   Michigan are suffering from huge bits of unemployment and poverty after so many auto plants have closed.  I'd look at each of the city's unemployment rates, crime rates, and what the educated population is like in each.  If you do end up living in Michigan and taking the Michigan bar, you might want to be in a stable area.

Just wanted to clarify that Michigan isn't as bad as that paragraph makes it sound. Yes, it is going through some hard times as is the nation, but there aren't a bunch of unemployed homeless people running around everywhere increasing the crime rates or anything... and like I said before, Grand Rapids is really up and coming, and a lot of money is being invested there... it would make for a nice place to live and be a student.

darlinalexi

• Sr. Citizen
  • Southwestern Class of 2010
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: May 18, 2007, 12:50:35 PM »
Like I said, I live in Florida... So I don't know what it is like to live in Michigan... I do talk to prospective students who want to come to my school for ug recruiting, and some of them are from Michigan and have been saying that they want to get out because of the unemployment... But again, never been to Michigan and was just trying to be helpful.

littlemisssunshine

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: May 18, 2007, 03:23:58 PM »
I'm from Michigan and I would go to the Rochester campus, provided it's actually accredited now.  Nicest place to live of the three and it's on an actual university campus, which makes it feel less like a degree mill, I imagine.  Well, maybe the other two are on university campuses, as well, I have no clue. 

Lansing's is not. It's in downtown-which does have it's benefits. For example the capitol building is a block down the street.
I am a UMich Law Student..but never a Wolverine :)

RATM2007

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: May 18, 2007, 03:34:12 PM »
Most of Michigan is a slum.  Unless you're in Detroit... oh wait, isnt Detroit the most disgusting city in this country?

Captain

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • http://img164.imageshack.us/img164/5526/thumbid5.jpg
« Reply #34 on: May 18, 2007, 04:40:51 PM »
Trollflame
VIP.

Nimmy

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #35 on: May 19, 2007, 05:25:33 AM »
Like I said, I live in Florida... So I don't know what it is like to live in Michigan... I do talk to prospective students who want to come to my school for ug recruiting, and some of them are from Michigan and have been saying that they want to get out because of the unemployment... But again, never been to Michigan and was just trying to be helpful.

Hahaha, sounds like you got a lot of your information about Michigan from "Bowling For Columbine" and "Roger and Me".

ks2pa

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: May 19, 2007, 12:31:43 PM »
I don't know much about Cooley.  However if i were making this decision I would probably choose the Lansing campus.  Being a LS in the capitol city might lead to some decent opportunities provided you do well.

I guess it depends on whether that matters to you or if the livability of the city matters to you.

ojf1982

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: May 21, 2007, 01:53:30 PM »
I am not going to stay in Michigan, even if I do end up graduating from Cooley.  I am moving back to Miami and take the bar here.

NotATroll

• Trolling for n00bs
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: May 21, 2007, 03:11:05 PM »
I am not going to stay in Michigan, even if I do end up graduating from Cooley.  I am moving back to Miami and take the bar here, buying a unicorn and getting an apartment in fantasy land.

HTH!!

::CRUSHES SKULL IN FINGERS::
“Keep your goals away from the trolls.”

AspenLizzy

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: May 21, 2007, 03:31:03 PM »
Why not Nova, FIU, Florida Coastal?  Seeing as you haven't even taken the LSAT yet, these should all be in reach with some prep for the test.