Law School Discussion

Just Finished First Year at UVA - glad to take any questions

UFBoldAsLove

• Go Gators.
    • View Profile
Re: Just Finished First Year at UVA - glad to take any questions
« Reply #60 on: May 18, 2007, 08:07:13 AM »
I have a question... Do the law kids ever interact with the undergrads? I have a ton of friends in law school at UF, and that seems to be pretty normal (here, at least).

I'm going to be 20 when I start and I wouldn't like to be completely ostracized from everyone my age.

Goodfella

• I get to live the rest of my life like a schnook
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: May 18, 2007, 01:09:21 PM »
There are some U21 people here and I think they get along fine. That's the good thing about the small sections, it automatically gives you people to hang out with. There's as much interaction with the UGs as you want, I'm sure you can find people under 21 by joining one of the groups on campus.

I forget how much time I had to take the offer.

Re: Richmond, I know Hunton & Williams hires a bunch of 1Ls and a lot of Richmond firms will come to campus to interview 1Ls.

Re: frattiness, since the frat people are separated from their frats they leave a lot of the douchiness behind since they don't have that backup network allowing them to be assholes. And many people who were in frats have decided that maybe it was something they did for 4 years but it's time to grow up a little. Not me, though.

« Reply #62 on: May 18, 2007, 01:20:33 PM »
Re: frattiness, since the frat people are separated from their frats they leave a lot of the douchiness behind since they don't have that backup network allowing them to be assholes. And many people who were in frats have decided that maybe it was something they did for 4 years but it's time to grow up a little. Not me, though.

I've got nothing against the greeks, but the drunken idioticy it tends to fuel is pretty off-putting.  My UG has a very active Greek scene, but it is also a huge school so it didn't feel like a dominant part of the college experience for those of us who avoided frat row like the plague.  UVA's law class is quite large; do you find there's a comparable amount of variety or do the 'weirdos' kind of stick out?  It doesn't much matter to me what the predominant disposition is (preppy, fratty, or otherwise) as long as it's a friendly, semi-varied environment that doesn't more or less necessitate a certain personality type/inclination to fit in well.

Goodfella

• I get to live the rest of my life like a schnook
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: May 18, 2007, 01:28:46 PM »

I've got nothing against the greeks, but the drunken idioticy it tends to fuel is pretty off-putting.  My UG has a very active Greek scene, but it is also a huge school so it didn't feel like a dominant part of the college experience for those of us who avoided frat row like the plague.  UVA's law class is quite large; do you find there's a comparable amount of variety or do the 'weirdos' kind of stick out?  It doesn't much matter to me what the predominant disposition is (preppy, fratty, or otherwise) as long as it's a friendly, semi-varied environment that doesn't more or less necessitate a certain personality type/inclination to fit in well.

It's definitely the latter. Frankly, if you're one of the people who is trying to relive undergrad that makes you a weirdo. But all sorts of people get along here. Over 90% of graduating 3Ls pledge to donate money to the school, that should tell you something about the school's broad appeal.

AlphaBusey

• SOBER:Son Of a B*tch, Everything's Real!
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: May 18, 2007, 01:30:43 PM »

I've only had 3 days visiting to really form a cogent opinion, but it seems like the social scene is pretty open, that is, it takes all types.  Now granted, I am in a fraternity, but then again, I don't see myself fitting into any of those stereotypes mentioned above.  Now granted, the stereotypes emerge for a reason (for example, to use a little word association: you say "hipster", I think effeminate poser).  But what I think you're going to find, regardless of someone's background, be it jock, fratguy, whatever label you want to come up with, is the douchebaggery gets left behind.  UVA just seems to attract the chill type, at least from the current students and admits I've met thus far.  It doesn't really matter what your "background" is, per se.  An a-hole's an a-hole, doesn't matter what he's wearing or what music he listens to, and vice versa for a cool person.  And at least in my admittedly narrow experience, it seems like UVA's a magnet for that latter type.

Johnny Stuffs His Mouth

• 1/2 of the Golden Couple
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #65 on: May 18, 2007, 01:32:45 PM »
I remember at the ASW one of the girls on the student panel addressed the issue of diversity concerning student interests. She made it a point to say that no matter what you're interested in, there are people that share those interests, even if you (and she voluntarily outed herself here) like Magic: the Gathering.

Basically, my impression was that the school is nothing but cool, down-to-earth people first and foremost, so even if you have no common interests with anyone, you could probably still fit in. But that won't happen (the no common interests part; you can't possibly not fit in at UVA. Well, unless you're a gunner-tool, and even then, I'm sure there's at least 1 at UVA, maybe).

IF

• View Profile
« Reply #66 on: May 18, 2007, 01:35:50 PM »
Well said, guys.  I think a lot of this stereotype of drunk frat guy image is of what ppl remember from UG.  Then they see a good number of preppy guys drinking and they assume it's Freshman year all over.  But it's not from what I saw.  It's intelligent, down-to-earth people looking to relax.  It's not about how you're dressed, look, etc.  It's about who you are.

And thats my after school special.

« Reply #67 on: May 18, 2007, 02:12:27 PM »
It's definitely the latter. Frankly, if you're one of the people who is trying to relive undergrad that makes you a weirdo. But all sorts of people get along here. Over 90% of graduating 3Ls pledge to donate money to the school, that should tell you something about the school's broad appeal.

I wouldn't mind reliving undergrad -- 20 hours a week of easy, moderately enjoyable work, free tuition and room and board, an ungodly amount of Law & Order reruns, essays not finals, and 80s dance parties.  (If missing that makes me wrong, I don't want to be right.)

I did notice the really high rate of alumni donation, percentage-of-class wise, which certainly suggests something about the student experience.  I can't find anyone to say anything negative about it, either, though I wish I could hunt down more alums (the few practicing lawyers I've talked to are bitter, withered people in their late 20s who regret getting a JD and selling their soul for $100K in debt from American and practically foam at the mouth when asked about going to law school.)

Anyway, I'd nominate myself for the requisite gunner feminine hygiene product position but in light of the fact that I have an underdeveloped work ethic and a lackadaisical approach to studying I'm probably not prime material.  I will, however, help fill that all-important bottom-of-the-curve demographic.

Johnny Stuffs His Mouth

• 1/2 of the Golden Couple
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #68 on: May 18, 2007, 02:14:56 PM »

I wouldn't mind reliving undergrad -- 20 hours a week of easy, moderately enjoyable work, free tuition and room and board, an ungodly amount of Law & Order reruns, essays not finals, and 80s dance parties.  (If missing that makes me wrong, I don't want to be right.)

I did notice the really high rate of alumni donation, percentage-of-class wise, which certainly suggests something about the student experience.  I can't find anyone to say anything negative about it, either, though I wish I could hunt down more alums (the few practicing lawyers I've talked to are bitter, withered people in their late 20s who regret getting a JD and selling their soul for $100K in debt from American and practically foam at the mouth when asked about going to law school.)

Anyway, I'd nominate myself for the requisite gunner feminine hygiene product position but in light of the fact that I have an underdeveloped work ethic and a lackadaisical approach to studying I'm probably not prime material.  I will, however, help fill that all-important bottom-of-the-curve demographic.

You should definitely come to UVA!!!!!!!!!!!

Just kidding.

« Reply #69 on: May 18, 2007, 02:18:33 PM »

You should definitely come to UVA!!!!!!!!!!!

Just kidding.
[/quote]

In all seriousness, better 50th percentile at a top 10 than 50th percentile at a top 50.

Oh, I'm also a bit of a liberal tool.  Will I find enough of my kind with which to herd?  (We have a powerful herding instinct.) Y/N?