Law School Discussion

Just Finished First Year at UVA - glad to take any questions

Re: Just Finished First Year at UVA - glad to take any questions
« Reply #50 on: May 17, 2007, 10:55:30 PM »
What are the chances of getting a summer associate spot as a 1L in a Richmond firm? My wife will be working in Charlottesville, so I don't want to move out of commuting distance, but I'd like to get the firm experience (and cash). Are there any other firms within commuting distance that routinely hire 1Ls? Thanks!

« Reply #51 on: May 17, 2007, 11:28:23 PM »
What can you tell me about the relative truth of the "preppy/frat boy" UVA stereotype?  (As someone who cares for neither.)

Johnny Stuffs His Mouth

• 1/2 of the Golden Couple
    • View Profile
    • http://www.lawschoolnumbers.com/display.php?user=johnkorean
    • Email
« Reply #52 on: May 18, 2007, 06:11:16 AM »
What can you tell me about the relative truth of the "preppy/frat boy" UVA stereotype?  (As someone who cares for neither.)

I got the impression that it is preppy/fratty minus the douchey. People go to bars and drink a lot. I'm not a huge drinker/bar guy, but I didn't see any popped collars rolling around, so I'm ok with that.

« Reply #53 on: May 18, 2007, 06:20:43 AM »
I know you just finished 1L, but do you know if it's harder to get a NY job instead of DC?  did everyone who wanted one get one?  (or internship)

Though I'm just a rising 2L as well, I can give you feedback from what I've heard from the administration. It's actually harder to get a position in DC than it is in NY, largely because so very many UVA grads trying to penetrate the DC market, so there's far more competition against your peers. Again, I won't have personal experience in the matter until interviews start this August. Also on a general note regarding employment, you are unofficially placed into one of three categories regarding your employment opportunities. According to the literature they handed out this semester, if you're in the top quarter of the class (GPA of 3.5 or higher), you're basically going to have a very strong shot at grabbing interviews with each firm in the Vault 20 (with the sole exception being Wachtell, since I don't believe they interview at UVA). In the second quartile (GPA of 3.3 to 3.5), you're a strong competitor at Vault 100 firms, but it's going to be more hit and miss which particular ones you land interviews with in the fall. And if you're in the lower half of the class, you're basically supposed to apply for interviews with every firm you're interested in.

To the guy who asked about Richmond 1L summer, I know first hand that there were many opportunities in Richmond, a healthy mixture of firm work and public interest work. That being said, many of my peers working in Richmond this summer at not making the big bucks (maybe $10 an hour; obviously the public interest work is not paid, though there are an abundance of grants)... Unless you have superior networking abilities or solid grades, I certainly would not count on getting sizeable pay your first summer regardless of what market you're trying to enter. Many people do, but the majority of people are either not getting paid at all or are working for a low hourly rate.

Johnny Stuffs His Mouth

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #54 on: May 18, 2007, 06:24:15 AM »
Unless you have superior networking abilities or solid grades, I certainly would not count on getting sizeable pay your first summer regardless of what market you're trying to enter. Many people do, but the majority of people are either not getting paid at all or are working for a low hourly rate.

<deliciously rubs hands together at the prospect of coming back to work for current DC V100 firm for 1L summer while classmates struggle to feed themselves>

<feels remorse and shame, apologizes>

IF

• View Profile
    • LSN
« Reply #55 on: May 18, 2007, 07:10:31 AM »

If you're on Facebook you can go to the group website.  There's a listing there of people that are in fraternities and sororities; there are a good number of us, myself included.  And while I was there I saw a good number of people wearing shirts that had collars on them, though it wasn't everyone.

Johnny Stuffs His Mouth

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #56 on: May 18, 2007, 07:12:25 AM »
For you non-OLs living in Ivy: how long did you have to respond to Ivy's offer? well eggy apparently only has 3 days; are we expected to commit sight unseen? I mean Jesus, they already have 1000 bucks from me. How does this work?!

well eggy

• Dis well-important fing you iz heard ov call Justz
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: May 18, 2007, 07:15:09 AM »
For you non-OLs living in Ivy: how long did you have to respond to Ivy's offer? well eggy apparently only has 3 days; are we expected to commit sight unseen? I mean Jesus, they already have 1000 bucks from me. How does this work?!

Why $1000?  I only paid $20.

Did I miss something?

Johnny Stuffs His Mouth

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #58 on: May 18, 2007, 07:24:50 AM »

Did I miss something?

Security deposit. You have to pay the security deposit before they even make the offer. How did you circumvent the system?

well eggy

• Dis well-important fing you iz heard ov call Justz
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: May 18, 2007, 07:36:56 AM »

Did I miss something?

Security deposit. You have to pay the security deposit before they even make the offer. How did you circumvent the system?

Hmm, odd.  I submitted my app online and paid only the $20 app. fee through the online payment service.  They weren't really clear on the website about whether I needed to pay the deposit prior to getting a lease.  Had I applied in person, this might've been different.

I 'spect I'll be paying the deposit soon, though, once they send my lease by email.  They said it'd come 'shortly.'