Law School Discussion

M.B.A. too?

HerculePoirot

• One must seek the truth from within--not without
    • View Profile
M.B.A. too?
« on: May 15, 2007, 06:30:28 PM »
When would an M.B.A. be good to get with a J.D.?

dante500

• Lookin' forward to livin' the life
    • View Profile
Re: M.B.A. too?
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2007, 06:34:36 PM »

Depends on a number of things. If you wanted to work in the corporate structure and had executive ambitions, sure. If you want to practice law, it may disadvantage you and make you look like a guy not looking to jump ship and kick it with the suits... that would be my sense anyways. Prolly a lot of other things to take into consideration.

Uptown *2*L

• I speak softly and carry a big stick
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2007, 06:39:50 PM »
If you've already invested a year in your MBA, but have decided you want a JD too, it's probably worth spending the semester away from law classes to get the joint degree (this is my situation).

« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2007, 10:22:34 PM »

Depends on a number of things. If you wanted to work in the corporate structure and had executive ambitions, sure. If you want to practice law, it may disadvantage you and make you look like a guy not looking to jump ship and kick it with the suits... that would be my sense anyways. Prolly a lot of other things to take into consideration.

I think this guy has it right as I was thinking about getting it for a while but was told by various partners in law firms that they do not like hiring guys with MBAs because they know that they are not going to be there for very long.

Uptown *2*L

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2007, 08:39:10 AM »
I think this depends a lot on the firm, particularly the level of prestige.

The majority of the V25 offers signing bonuses for MBAs which can run $10-50k. I've heard Latham (for example) offers $20k.

So they seem to value MBAs enough to give them more money. Of course, this could also just be to make the V25 competitive with PE, iBanking, and consulting.

« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2007, 10:55:11 AM »
I think this depends a lot on the firm, particularly the level of prestige.

The majority of the V25 offers signing bonuses for MBAs which can run $10-50k. I've heard Latham (for example) offers $20k.

So they seem to value MBAs enough to give them more money. Of course, this could also just be to make the V25 competitive with PE, iBanking, and consulting.

Yeah that is interesting.  The law firms I talked to which was 3 and all of them were V50 firms said they usually pass over people with JD/MBA's.

Uptown *2*L

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2007, 10:04:13 AM »
Here's a useful link on this topic: http://www0.gsb.columbia.edu/students/organizations/ddsa/jdmbasur.htm

Note that this is a bit out of date. My understanding is that the trend has been towards JD/MBA bonuses, not away from them (e.g., Latham is not on this list, but I know for sure from a JD/MBA friend there that they have been paying them for the past few associate classes).

Also, note this very interesting news from the survey: some of the firms (it definitely seems to be the majority) offer you 2nd-year status on account of your MBA. In addition to the hiring bonus, this gives new JD/MBA grads a decent bump.

I wonder if they'll give you third-year status if you're a JD/MBA who has also clerked...

HerculePoirot

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 17, 2007, 10:40:44 AM »
Yeah, but doesn't an MBA cost like 50K at a good school?  So you might get a bonus, but in the long run wouldn't it even out?

However, do you think opportunities for advancment might be better with an MBA?  Rationnally, it sounds like they would be because you have more knowledge.  I am thinking about getting one because I am almost positive I want to get involved in business law somewhere down the line, and I did not study business, nor took any business classes, in undergrad.

adlai

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 17, 2007, 10:42:53 AM »
also... isn't the education you receive in an MBA program mostly bunk?

HerculePoirot

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 17, 2007, 10:47:18 AM »
also... isn't the education you receive in an MBA program mostly bunk?

Well, I'm not sure if I'd call it that.  Correct me if I'm wrong, but don't you learn accounting, financing, taxation, marketing, etc..., in an MBA?  All of which I am clueless.Isn't the program like a glorified undergrad business program?