Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Post-LOCI communications...  (Read 861 times)

Money, baby

• You make bunny cry...
    • View Profile
Post-LOCI communications...
« on: May 15, 2007, 04:31:14 PM »
Ok, waitlisted at my dream school. I've sent official LOCI, additional essay, and an email saying that I toured the school and would love to go. It's been a couple weeks since my last communication (email and mailed update) and I want to poke them and say, "HI!! Still here! Still love you! PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE take me!!!" A lot of people say that "keeping in constant contact" is key to getting off a waitlist - what would you suggest as the next step in Waitlist Communications Hell?
"And you're looking at your claws and you're looking at your fangs. And you're thinking to yourself, you don't know what to do, man. "I don't know how to kill the bunny."

John5705

• View Profile
Re: Post-LOCI communications...
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2007, 10:42:40 AM »
Ok, waitlisted at my dream school. I've sent official LOCI, additional essay, and an email saying that I toured the school and would love to go. It's been a couple weeks since my last communication (email and mailed update) and I want to poke them and say, "HI!! Still here! Still love you! PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE take me!!!" A lot of people say that "keeping in constant contact" is key to getting off a waitlist - what would you suggest as the next step in Waitlist Communications Hell?

I asked someone to write an additional LOR and they are going to send it out next week, then I am planning on sending another LOCI about 3-4 weeks after that.  My second LOCI is just going to follow up on my updates that I highlighted in my first LOCI, and of course add any additional updates that I can think of.  If you have no updates and can't really think of anything else to write, you can always keep it brief and just state that you just want to reiterate that you are still very interested and that if offered a spot you would immediately withdraw from where you are now and enroll there, etc.  I am moving in August, so I will probably send another short note just letting them know of my change in address, and of course throwing in that I am still intersted, etc.  I figured it would be good to stagger everything so that they hear from me about once a month.

trivialine

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2007, 05:35:52 PM »

What type of additional essay did you send in? That is a good idea. I sent in an official LOCI, two additional LORs (about a month apart), and then I just sent in another, shorter, LOCI via email.
I also called. But this is over a period of like three months or so, so I figure I am running out of options too, considering I will probably be waiting the rest of the summer.

Pugnacious

• Sr. Citizen
  • C'est law vie...
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2007, 01:25:21 AM »
tag
My cycle is officially over. Boalt Law 2010!

http://www.lawschoolnumbers.com/display.php?user=pugattack

John5705

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2007, 10:44:05 AM »

What type of additional essay did you send in? That is a good idea. I sent in an official LOCI, two additional LORs (about a month apart), and then I just sent in another, shorter, LOCI via email.
I also called. But this is over a period of like three months or so, so I figure I am running out of options too, considering I will probably be waiting the rest of the summer.

If you had to write a supplemental essay for another school, you could recycle it and send it as an additional "writing sample" or addendum.  Obviously it would have to be appropriate to send to the school, and it would probably be best if it was a personal essay that would allow them to get to know you more.

While I am on this topic, I would like to hear about people's experiences when they called the schools at which they were wait listed.  I have been thinking about doing it for some of mine, but I am not sure which angle I could take besides the usual questions.

idk10

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2007, 11:36:02 AM »
tag

the royal We

• Hey, careful, man, there's a beverage here!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2007, 11:43:05 AM »
In the waitlist letter I received the school suggested that I could send an additional LOR (which I did).  They also recommended sending my transcript showing that I graduated from my undergrad.  My grades dropped off a little during my final semester (I figured the schools already had the grades they were going to consider).  Will this hurt me or will they cut me a break from slacking off a little in my final semester?  (I made around a 3.1 I think) 

Any opinion on whether I should contact my undergrad school about sending the transcript now vs. waiting a little longer?