Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: UPDATED: UVA vs. NU vs. Texas ($$) vs. UW  (Read 1264 times)

etaylor10

• View Profile
    • Email
UPDATED: UVA vs. NU vs. Texas ($$) vs. UW
« on: May 15, 2007, 12:57:43 PM »
Okay, so I've some deadlines coming up and I seem to be as indecisive as ever right now, so I'd like some help.

I'm currently waitlisted at Virginia, Duke, Penn, and UCLA.  I should preface this: I have no idea where I want to live, nor what I want to do.  Now that we've covered that.  I've figured the cost of UVA to be about 10k less than Duke and 15k less than UCLA and Penn.

I'm looking at offers from Washington, Vanderbilt, Texas, and Northwestern.  Washington is far and away the cheapest.  I am from the Pacific NW.  Vandy offered some money making them 10k more than Texas.  Northwestern is the best school in the bunch and extremely expensive (far as I can tell).

Whatever am I do to?  Follow-up question: should I e-mail UVA and/or any of the other schools and let them know that I'd accept an admissions offer if they sent one?

Any help is greatly appreciated!

Will Hunting

• I wanna go fast
    • View Profile
Only if you are sure that you would accept any offer they send your way.  Don't say one thing and flip flop once they actually extend the offer.  You will only have so long to decide once they offer, so be ready to make that decision.
Attending (Tony): UT!!!
In (Paulie): UT($$), BU, GWU, SMU($$$)
Out (Christopher): H,Y,S, Chi, NW, GULC, Boalt,
WL (Anthony Junior): UMich, UVa, Duke, Cornell, UCLA, USC, Vandy, ND, BC

boulevardier

• Sr. Citizen
  • Chicago!
    • View Profile
UVA gives you the greatest portability of the schools you've mentioned and the best bang for the buck, IMO.

Barring admissions from the waitlists, go to Northwestern (unless you plan to stay in the Texas area).

Just send a letter of continued interest to make sure you stay on their radar.  They need to fill spots fast and it's to your advantage if they know you'd go (that is, if you have the numbers they're looking for, of course).

p.s. - it seems as if UVA has been reaching into its waitlist lately so get moving...

p.p.s - the prices differences aren't enough to outweigh the superior advantages offered of the top schools you're considering...

p.p.p.s. - by the way, I was considering UVA, Duke and Penn too.  I would've chosen UVA or Penn had I not gone to Chicago.
Being a boulevardier is an ancillary bullsh*t occupation that must feed off a core job that produces income. premier boulevardier of our time, George Hamilton, acts to support his tan and his bon vivant lifestyle...

The upside: Barry Diller always says hello.

The dark side: Skin cancer.

Johnny Stuffs His Mouth

• LSD Obsessed
  • 1/2 of the Golden Couple
    • View Profile
    • http://www.lawschoolnumbers.com/display.php?user=johnkorean
    • Email
Of your current options, I'd say maybe Texas, although it depends on where you want to work. If you're open, I understand Texas salaries are comparable to NYC while cost of living is half, and UT > HYS in those markets. Maybe.
I'll join the cool crowd: 3.23/173
Blinded by the light (Attending): UVA!!! Wahoo 2010!!!
Wrapped up like a feminine hygiene product (Accepted): UVA!! Fordham, Georgetown!!! NYU!!!!!!!!!
Another odor in the night (Rejected): Harvard
Let's go LSAT score! http://www.lawschoolnumbers.com/display.php?user=johnkorean

boulevardier

• Sr. Citizen
  • Chicago!
    • View Profile
Wow, for once you're not a UVA troll.

Of your current options, I'd say maybe Texas, although it depends on where you want to work. If you're open, I understand Texas salaries are comparable to NYC while cost of living is half, and UT > HYS in those markets. Maybe.
Being a boulevardier is an ancillary bullsh*t occupation that must feed off a core job that produces income. premier boulevardier of our time, George Hamilton, acts to support his tan and his bon vivant lifestyle...

The upside: Barry Diller always says hello.

The dark side: Skin cancer.

Johnny Stuffs His Mouth

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
    • Email

Well, OP's still on the W/L, and I don't want to say "Go for UVA!" and then have the OP not get in. Besides, I'm usually not a UVA troll; I am, however, a staunchly anti-Philadelphia troll.
Wrapped up like a feminine hygiene product (Accepted): UVA!! Fordham, Georgetown!!! NYU!!!!!!!!!
Let's go LSAT score! http://www.lawschoolnumbers.com/display.php?user=johnkorean

The Pookie

• Sr. Citizen
  • the penguin is back!
    • View Profile
    • For Inquiring Minds - LSN

Well, OP's still on the W/L, and I don't want to say "Go for UVA!" and then have the OP not get in. Besides, I'm usually not a UVA troll; I am, however, a staunchly anti-Philadelphia troll.

all because of dancerina....

Johnny Stuffs His Mouth

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
    • Email

Seriously, she simultaneously broke my heart, soul, and spirit.

But also Philly smells.

The Pookie

• Sr. Citizen
  • the penguin is back!
    • View Profile
    • For Inquiring Minds - LSN

Seriously, she simultaneously broke my heart, soul, and spirit.

But also Philly smells.

you seem to have recovered rather quickly - *ahem* Phishy Eel *ahem*

awesomepossum

• Sr. Citizen
  • Playing possum can go too far
    • View Profile
I think Northwestern is by FAR the best school you got into and there would have to be some REALLY compelling reason not to go there.  You can always stay on those waitlists, but as of now, you're not accepted so you can't really compare the two.  Northwestern is certainly expensive not only because of the school, but also because of Chicago.  However, many of us are willing to pay it out by going to a big law firm for a while to pay it off, and from there deciding what we really want to do.
U.Michigan 2011 (deferred from '10)