Law School Discussion

USC Top Ten?

HerculePoirot

• One must seek the truth from within--not without
    • View Profile
USC Top Ten?
« on: May 15, 2007, 10:56:08 AM »
So who here think's USC has a shot at becoming Top Ten in the near future?  When I went to the Preview Day, it's something the faculty talked about.  Do you think it's more of a marketing ploy to get better students to go there, or do you think its an earnest attempt?

It is curious that Los Angeles, one of the world's great cities, does not have a top ten school.  I think USC has a chance.  They are reducing the class size to sub 200, raking in a lot of alumni financial support, and working on building a new school.

Other than these things, what would it take?

Re: USC Top Ten?
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2007, 11:02:48 AM »
UCLA will reach top 10 before USC does.  USC is a great school, no doubt about it, but I don't see it every breaking the top 10.  I think it would be a huge accomplishment for it and peer schools like Vanderbilt to break into Cornell territory at around sub-13. 

« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2007, 11:09:48 AM »
USC has a damn good endowment, which makes it possible for Gould to attract faculty from other schools (as the previous poster said).  But it wouldn't be easy.  I think Yale, Stanford, and Harvard are going to be the top 3 (switching places every once in a while) for a long time, with Columbia, NYU, Chicago, Penn, Boalt, and Michigan occupying the next six spaces.  USC's got some big names to pass - Virginia, GULC, Duke, Cornell, NW, etc.  If USC does get into the top ten, it probably won't be for another 7-10 years minimum.

iscoredawaitlist

• The beagle puppy of anticipation
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2007, 11:50:14 AM »
I don't believe they'll ever be in the top ten.

Johnny Stuffs His Mouth

• 1/2 of the Golden Couple
    • View Profile
    • http://www.lawschoolnumbers.com/display.php?user=johnkorean
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2007, 11:51:00 AM »
USC has a damn good endowment, which makes it possible for Gould to attract faculty from other schools (as the previous poster said).  But it wouldn't be easy.  I think Yale, Stanford, and Harvard are going to be the top 3 (switching places every once in a while) for a long time, with Columbia, NYU, Chicago, Penn, Boalt, and Michigan occupying the next six spaces.  USC's got some big names to pass - Virginia, GULC, Duke, Cornell, NW, etc.  If USC does get into the top ten, it probably won't be for another 7-10 years minimum.

Anti-UVA troll. How dare you lump us in with Duke.

I could see them cracking the top 14 in the relatively near future, but not top 10. Those schools are just too solid in their positions! That said, USC has an absolutely gorgeous campus, amazing faculty and a really supportive environment, so I am quite happy to be attending there in the fall, top 10/14 potential or not!

Well, if they do, it won't really matter. The whole point of the t14 is those are the only 14 schools to ever be in the top 10. Breaking the top 14 probably wouldn't really make you t14. At least not in my book. And if it does, there's going to be all kinds of problems.

awesomepossum

• Playing possum can go too far
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2007, 11:54:34 AM »
I also doubt that USC will ever be in the top ten. 

That having being said, I think Duke has a relatively tenuous hold on the T14. 

« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2007, 11:56:54 AM »
They've always been in the 15-20 range and I don't see that changing any time soon.  While Boalt and Stanford aren't in the city, they both feed into it along with UCLA.  Those are tough schools to compete against. 

Also, I think they would need to attract a more national student body to move up(they are currently 65% in-state).  The top in-staters are pulled away by Stanford, Boalt and UCLA.

Johnny Stuffs His Mouth

• 1/2 of the Golden Couple
    • View Profile
    • http://www.lawschoolnumbers.com/display.php?user=johnkorean
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: May 15, 2007, 11:58:16 AM »
They've always been in the 15-20 range and I don't see that changing any time soon.  While Boalt and Stanford aren't in the city, they both feed into it along with UCLA.  Those are tough schools to compete against. 

Also, I think they would need to attract a more national student body to move up(they are currently 65% in-state).  The top in-staters are pulled away by Stanford, Boalt and UCLA.

While I don't know this for a fact, I'd think this is true for out-of-staters as well. Maybe if USC cut the quotas, they could be competitive with UCLA, but not Stanford and Boalt.

« Reply #8 on: May 15, 2007, 12:00:09 PM »

While I don't know this for a fact, I'd think this is true for out-of-staters as well. Maybe if USC cut the quotas, they could be competitive with UCLA, but not Stanford and Boalt.

True, but there is a larger body of out-of-staters to recruit.  Though to get any significant jump in numbers they'd probably need to offer unrealistically high scholarships.

boulevardier

• Chicago!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 15, 2007, 12:00:20 PM »
You know how accurate the USNWR rankings are...

People rely on it like the Bible.

Brian Leiter thinks USC is underranked and has a top notch faculty, but even he doesn't think USC is a top ten school.

Why does it matter if USC is a top ten school?  If you want to practice in LA and can't get into Stanford, then go to USC (unless they offer you a Rothman scholarship, and I would argue it's plausible to go to USC over Stanford) or UCLA.  If you want to practice in the DC area, go to Duke.  It doesn't matter what their respective numbers are.  When we say "top ten" or "T1" to distinguish schools from one another, it's a perverse result of USNWR.  

Anti-UVA troll. How dare you lump us in with Duke.

I could see them cracking the top 14 in the relatively near future, but not top 10. Those schools are just too solid in their positions! That said, USC has an absolutely gorgeous campus, amazing faculty and a really supportive environment, so I am quite happy to be attending there in the fall, top 10/14 potential or not!

Well, if they do, it won't really matter. The whole point of the t14 is those are the only 14 schools to ever be in the top 10. Breaking the top 14 probably wouldn't really make you t14. At least not in my book. And if it does, there's going to be all kinds of problems.