Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Memoirs of a Bar Examinee  (Read 92354 times)

Burning Sands, Esq.

• Global Moderator
  • LSD Obsessed
  • Yes We Kan-sas!!!
    • View Profile
Re: Memoirs of a Bar Examinee
« Reply #750 on: October 24, 2008, 06:49:03 PM »
Alcibiades, Esq. ;D

Don't know how I missed this one.  Big Congrats, fellow Counselor!  Welcome to the club.

"A lawyer's either a social engineer or a parasite on society. A social engineer is a highly skilled...lawyer who understands the Constitution of the U.S. and knows how to explore its uses in the solving of problems of local communities and in bettering [our] conditions."
Charles H. Houston

A.

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #751 on: October 24, 2008, 06:58:18 PM »
Thank you, Esquire.  And today is another happy day on Bar Exam Lane: I found out that my MBE was, indeed, high enough to waive into DC (my state doesn't tell us our MBE scores, but for $30, you can find out if your score was high enough to meet another jurisdiction's requirements).  Time to burn the BARBRI books!!!!*

*i.e., return them and get my $500 back

Burning Sands, Esq.

• Global Moderator
  • LSD Obsessed
  • Yes We Kan-sas!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #752 on: October 24, 2008, 07:17:45 PM »
Thank you, Esquire.  And today is another happy day on Bar Exam Lane: I found out that my MBE was, indeed, high enough to waive into DC (my state doesn't tell us our MBE scores, but for $30, you can find out if your score was high enough to meet another jurisdiction's requirements).  Time to burn the BARBRI books!!!!*

*i.e., return them and get my $500 back

Extra $30??  What kinda scam are they runnin over there?  LOL  The MBE was the only thing that we actually got to see when we got our scores back.  It's interesting to see how the different states deal with reporting scores in different ways.  Especially when we all take the same MBE.  My homegirl in Mizzou not only got her score back, but she got a breakdown of her score per topic plus a list of the national average scores overall and per topic.  All we got was one score. Period.

I'm also interested in waiving into DC.  I understand it's an extra $500 or so yeah?

"A lawyer's either a social engineer or a parasite on society. A social engineer is a highly skilled...lawyer who understands the Constitution of the U.S. and knows how to explore its uses in the solving of problems of local communities and in bettering [our] conditions."
Charles H. Houston

A.

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #753 on: October 24, 2008, 07:35:35 PM »
Yeah they have some BS "your score doesn't mean anything as long as you pass" reason.  In reality, it's just a way to milk us out of more money, since a high percentage of people here want to waive into DC.  Although I wonder if there's anything to keep DC from telling us once we're admitted...

Yeah it costs a pretty penny to waive into DC.  There's the $400 application fee, then the NCBE charges another $250 to conduct a C&F review.  Since the NCBE is doing the C&F, one wonders what exactly DC is doing to warrant that $400 fee, but I digress...  Then, of course, once you're admitted, you have to pay the bar dues.  $195 for an entire year.  If you're sworn in between January 1 and April 30, then half that.  If you're sworn in between April 30 and July 1, then you will just pay the next fiscal year's dues.

So in total, you're looking at about $750-850.

The app is online and is pretty straightforward if you kept your old bar app.  The only new things you'll need are a law school certification and a certificate of good standing from your state's highest court.  And you'll also need to remember details of your speeding tickets...

Burning Sands, Esq.

• Global Moderator
  • LSD Obsessed
  • Yes We Kan-sas!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #754 on: October 24, 2008, 09:01:59 PM »
Yeah they have some BS "your score doesn't mean anything as long as you pass" reason.  In reality, it's just a way to milk us out of more money, since a high percentage of people here want to waive into DC.  Although I wonder if there's anything to keep DC from telling us once we're admitted...

Yeah it costs a pretty penny to waive into DC.  There's the $400 application fee, then the NCBE charges another $250 to conduct a C&F review.  Since the NCBE is doing the C&F, one wonders what exactly DC is doing to warrant that $400 fee, but I digress...  Then, of course, once you're admitted, you have to pay the bar dues.  $195 for an entire year.  If you're sworn in between January 1 and April 30, then half that.  If you're sworn in between April 30 and July 1, then you will just pay the next fiscal year's dues.

So in total, you're looking at about $750-850.

The app is online and is pretty straightforward if you kept your old bar app.  The only new things you'll need are a law school certification and a certificate of good standing from your state's highest court.  And you'll also need to remember details of your speeding tickets...

Didn't realize it was that bad.  Sheesh.  On second thought, perhaps I'll wait until an employer actually wants me to come down to DC and is willing to pay all that jazz for me.  I'm having a time as it is keeping Jersey satisfied with all their stupid mandatory CLE classes.

Charles H. Houston

A.

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #755 on: October 24, 2008, 09:35:31 PM »
That's one good thing about DC though...no additional CLE requirements.  So once you're in and pay your dues, that pretty much does it for them.

Burning Sands, Esq.

• Global Moderator
  • LSD Obsessed
  • Yes We Kan-sas!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #756 on: October 24, 2008, 11:04:11 PM »
Hmmm....no CLE's you say?  Hey that's my kinda bar.
Charles H. Houston

Nowhere Man

• Sr. Citizen
  • You know who is a Blackstar? Who? Me!
    • View Profile
« Reply #757 on: April 03, 2009, 06:52:02 PM »
Who is taking the July 2009 Bar?

And if so, what state(s)are you sitting for?

NY and NJ here.

I am taking the PMBR - Complete Bar Review
But when you talk about destruction, don't you know that you can count me out, in!

Burning Sands, Esq.

• Global Moderator
  • LSD Obsessed
  • Yes We Kan-sas!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #758 on: April 16, 2009, 09:50:42 AM »
Good luck

Who is taking the July 2009 Bar?

And if so, what state(s)are you sitting for?

NY and NJ here.

I am taking the PMBR - Complete Bar Review
Charles H. Houston

A.

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #759 on: April 16, 2009, 09:37:11 PM »
Seems like such a long time ago...