Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: If you were in my shoes, would you include this in your PS?  (Read 1189 times)

trivialine

• View Profile
Re: If you were in my shoes, would you include this in your PS?
« Reply #10 on: May 22, 2007, 01:55:56 PM »

Did you write about your experience with adversity in your PS?

I didn't write about it in my PS - but I wrote a significant addendum which addressed this issue and what I had learned from it. I knew if I wrote it in my PS I would have to repeat it in any addendum (since they ask about any factors that affected your grades that you want to explain) so I thought my PS was an opportunity to address another part of my personality.
Since you won't have to add that addendum about your UG grades, I think the PS or diversity statement is a good place to put it.

I definitely agree with dbgirl and elle - adcomms want to hear about these experiences and it will make you stand out from the crowd - not necessarily in a bad way either.

Reesespbcup

• Sr. Citizen
  • Yay summer!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 22, 2007, 02:58:50 PM »

Did you write about your experience with adversity in your PS?

I didn't write about it in my PS - but I wrote a significant addendum which addressed this issue and what I had learned from it. I knew if I wrote it in my PS I would have to repeat it in any addendum (since they ask about any factors that affected your grades that you want to explain) so I thought my PS was an opportunity to address another part of my personality.
Since you won't have to add that addendum about your UG grades, I think the PS or diversity statement is a good place to put it.

I definitely agree with dbgirl and elle - adcomms want to hear about these experiences and it will make you stand out from the crowd - not necessarily in a bad way either.

Yeah but s/he does need an addendum for the arrest(s).

I didn't write about arrests in my PS but I did in my addendum and wrote about why and how exactly I turned my life around (as another poster has suggested). I wonder if the arrests didn't hurt me at some schools but it was something I had to disclose and in doing so, I think I gave it a positive 'spin' by talking about how my life has changed.

Given that you must do an addendum anyway, I agree with "bear" that the PS should be on something different. IMO, sticking to overcoming adversity etc in the PS so that there is continuity is a great idea (and that is what I did).
The hottest chicks go to UMiami

TallisUmbras

• Sr. Citizen
  • The Doors of Night
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 05, 2007, 12:00:25 AM »
I think, generally, the advice you are getting thus far is sound. However, I don't think that saying "write about what you have overcome in order to differentiate yourself" is necessarily good advice if you simply confine your personal statement to a lengthy discussion of such difficulties. As others have noted, there are common traps that people are tempted to fall into. These include why you have ALWAYS wanted to be a lawyer, talking about difficulties in your life without a purpose other than to say you have had a hard life, using life examples that really say nothing about you etc. I would worry about losing focus in your essay.
Two schools enter, one school leaves: Harvard defeated MasterBlaster.

http://www.lawschoolnumbers.com/display.php?user=TallisUmbras

Spartan Niner

• You point, I punch.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 05, 2007, 12:43:48 AM »
While I don't have a criminal record and did well in high school, I really screwed up pretty badly sophomore year in college...

Now that I've turned myself around and figured out what I want to do (apply to law school, obviously ;D) I can relate a little bit to the OP's situation.

I think that a personal statement incorporating those kind of experiences and showing a strong turnaround would be moving and effective.
"Jump on my sword while you can evil, I won't be as gentle!"