Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Iowa or Wisconsin? --> UPDATED: Iowa/Wisconsin vs. Miami??  (Read 1593 times)

vercingetorix

• Sr. Citizen
  • Vive le quebec libre
    • View Profile
Re: Iowa or Wisconsin? --> UPDATED: Iowa/Wisconsin vs. Miami??
« Reply #10 on: May 16, 2007, 08:15:41 PM »
that comment about Miami being the sixth burrough is a laugh...I'm sure the partners at Cravath feel the same way.  one thing i forgot to mention is make sure you account for the gpa you must maintain in order to keep your scholarship at Miami...remember (and not to insult your intelligence here) if they say you must maintain a 3.0, find out what percentage of the class gets a 3.0...if its less than 50% look out.  you will be competing with much smarter people in law school than you were in UG so don't assume any class rank.

Forget Money, Read a Book

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 16, 2007, 09:41:03 PM »
that comment about Miami being the sixth burrough is a laugh...I'm sure the partners at Cravath feel the same way.  one thing i forgot to mention is make sure you account for the gpa you must maintain in order to keep your scholarship at Miami...remember (and not to insult your intelligence here) if they say you must maintain a 3.0, find out what percentage of the class gets a 3.0...if its less than 50% look out.  you will be competing with much smarter people in law school than you were in UG so don't assume any class rank.

If you got into Iowa and Wisc., you definitely deserve the scholarship at UM....But, it seems like they give them out like candy down in the Gables....I don't think its possible for everyone to keep them.
Attending: The "U"

IN: UMiami($$), UofArizona($$), American, URichmond($$), UofSouth Carolina($$)
OUT:  BC, IU-B, UF,
WL:  GWU, UNC, UGA

vap

• Sr. Citizen
  • Attorney
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 16, 2007, 10:58:00 PM »

3.0 is 50% at Miami.

Edit: Roughly...

keelee

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 22, 2007, 02:18:00 AM »

It is not laughable at all, because that is one of the city's nicknames, like it or not. A significant portion of Miami's population comes from New York City. The connections are huge. It has nothing to do with the school, it has to do with the cities, and it is why UM even places students NYC, considering the fact it is a regional T2.

3.17 is 50% at Miami.
Going to as of now...USC or Fordham.

vap

• Sr. Citizen
  • Attorney
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 22, 2007, 10:45:09 AM »
3.17 is 50% at Miami.

Is this for 2L and 3L students, or does it vary from year to year?

When I asked UM, they said

Quote from: Emily Burr, Offices of Student Recruiting and Admissions
For last spring (2006) the 50% cut off for first year students was 2.953

iahurricane

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: May 22, 2007, 01:51:29 PM »
Nothing good is in the state of Iowa. Stay the hell away from it. Trust me. Miami would be by far the best to live and work out of the 3, Madison being 2. Iowa grads go to the biggest firms in the state and make 50k hahahaha.

Miami > Wisonconsin >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>.Iowa/

vercingetorix

• Sr. Citizen
  • Vive le quebec libre
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 22, 2007, 08:22:42 PM »
objectively the best school (academically) to attend is Iowa followed hard upon by Wisconsin...a number of studies including USNWR and the Leiter study bear this out.  quality of life and cost of living in Iowa and Madison are also outstanding.  don't let trolls who have no data to back their claims sway you.  your primary reason for attending Miami has nothing to do with the babes and the beaches but with the insane amount of cash they are giving you to attend (then the babes and the beaches).  it is a solid school but not as strong as IA and WI.  you will most likely have to work in Miami for a number of years to establish yourself before heading up to NYC (again unless you graduate in the top 10% of your class, which you simply cannot assume).

iahurricane

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 23, 2007, 01:06:55 PM »
Quality of life in iowa is about the worst you will find in any state other than alaska. trust me i lived there for 18 years.

vercingetorix

• Sr. Citizen
  • Vive le quebec libre
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 23, 2007, 03:21:36 PM »
ahhh nothing like an anecdote when counseling someone on a major life decision.  quality of life has zero to do with what a young man like yourself might consider "boring".  again, every year when the quality of life stats come out places like IA and MN and WI come out on top.  I grew up in Rochester, MN.  I was bored to tears during high school.  this has nothing to do with the quality of life there since it routinely tops the top 10 best places to live in the U.S. (Fortune Magazine to name one).  show him some facts or please stop boring us with your opinions.

grlykoolblah

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 23, 2007, 04:04:41 PM »
ahhh nothing like an anecdote when counseling someone on a major life decision.  quality of life has zero to do with what a young man like yourself might consider "boring".  again, every year when the quality of life stats come out places like IA and MN and WI come out on top.  I grew up in Rochester, MN.  I was bored to tears during high school.  this has nothing to do with the quality of life there since it routinely tops the top 10 best places to live in the U.S. (Fortune Magazine to name one).  show him some facts or please stop boring us with your opinions.

Tag