Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: School you applied to that turned you off most during cycle  (Read 14432 times)

awesomepossum

• Sr. Citizen
  • Playing possum can go too far
    • View Profile
Re: School you applied to that turned you off most during cycle
« Reply #100 on: May 16, 2007, 01:24:27 PM »
Actually mate, I did.  I was very polite about it.  I thanked her profusely for her call, told her I thought they forgot about me, and told her I would be attending another law school.  

I sent my stuff in begining of Dec. and didn't go complete till March/April?  Then when they accepted me, I had one week to send in a deposit?

To make matters worse, when I called them in Jan/Feb or whatever, they couldn't even tell me if all the required documents were in.
U.Michigan 2011 (deferred from '10)

Team Pam

• Sr. Citizen
  • "You know, I invented electricity."
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: May 16, 2007, 02:50:41 PM »
Worst = NYU, hands down.  The last straw for me was when I tried to visit (after being admitted) and was told by the security officer at the desk "Sorry, I don't know how to give you a visitor's pass.  Can you come back in an hour or so?"

Best = Michigan.  They sent tons of personalized and helpful information, and were super nice.
UPenn '10

pastor of muppets

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: May 16, 2007, 02:53:20 PM »
Actually mate, I did.  I was very polite about it.  I thanked her profusely for her call, told her I thought they forgot about me, and told her I would be attending another law school. 

I sent my stuff in begining of Dec. and didn't go complete till March/April?  Then when they accepted me, I had one week to send in a deposit?

To make matters worse, when I called them in Jan/Feb or whatever, they couldn't even tell me if all the required documents were in.

I'd like to witness aesomepossum's conception of "polite".   :D

Matokah

• Sr. Citizen
  • Ice? In Sacramento? Hmm. . .
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: May 16, 2007, 11:35:21 PM »
I feel the exact same way about McGeorge. They have been AWESOME throughout this whole cycle. When I asked for additional scholarship money, the dean of admissions personally called me less than 24 hours later to personally tell me they were raising my scholarship and that both the school and himself personally really support what I want to do with my law degree (GLBT advocate). None of the other schools I applied to seemed to have any idea what I had written about in my personal statement!!

Totally agree with bekah.  UoP has been nothing but cordial to me.  Dean of Admissions helped raise my scholarship (and was very prompt with his emails. . .even found the time to email me on Legal Scholar Day when he was incredibly busy).  They were quick to refund the money through the travel stipend they offered, always answered my emails promptly, and made time to meet with me whenever I visited to help me with my questions (and the lunch voucher was pretty sweet, too :)).

Second place: Hamline.  Very nice people there.  One of the professors offered me a research assistantship just based on my undergrad research assistantship.  Very hard to turn them down.

The bad:
DePaul: For the delivering pizza in his mother's basement comment in the alumni newsletter.  Also for saying to email or call at any time in my acceptance letter and when I did (both email and call) to request additional scholarship consideration, they wait FIVE weeks to respond and then give me some stuff about how their median LSAT is 161 and they hope to raise that next year. . .which isn't relevant at all.  I was supposed to visit last month but I cancelled last minute (still went to Chicago, though!) because they would NOT confirm my visit via email.

Marquette: Really loved the recruiter, but the dean or assistant dean of admissions (not sure what he is) was pretty rude to me when I visited (didn't introduce himself, offer me a seat while I waited, shake my hand, or anything).  He also sent me what seemed like a cut and pasted response to a question I had which annoyed me.

As for my other schools: UMN hasn't acknowledged my existence since December, Oregon was nice to me in correspondence, Southwestern answered one question I had, and I didn't have much correspondence with Loyola LA.

Biggest school on my crap list, though?  USD from the 2004 cycle for waiting over NINE months to reject me.  They refused to tell me I was complete when I called and were incredibly rude to me when I visited (I could barely get them to give me a tour).  I have family who attends their undergrad which is why I reapplied, but secretly I was relieved to get the WL letter.  If their admissions office is any reflection of the rest of their administration, I'm glad I'm going elsewhere.

(no offense, of course, to those of you going to schools I had bad experiences with.  I've heard people say just the opposite about the schools, so maybe I was just unlucky. :P)
University of the Pacific McGeorge School of Law 2010!!

(LSN)

xsnrg

• View Profile
« Reply #104 on: May 17, 2007, 02:06:30 AM »
Worst stetson - went for a tour in early jan prearranged and confirmed beforehand. got to stetson and was sent like 3 places before actually sent to the right office for the tour.  went on a tour led by a hung over 3l that proceeded to give us the great info like: how great the bars in the area are and where to go and how they have a fountain at the front that has 50 tiles that represent the 50 states and 7 fountain heads that are symbolic of the 7 u.s. supreme court justices  ???(the supreme court consists of nine justices). applied mid- january. e-mailed in late january to confirm they had recieved my application from lsac. finally got a return email late febuary that all my info had been received. emailed in april re: any news update 2x no response. received waitlist letter  in may. i really felt as though the waitlist should have said " sorry we lost your file so we are waitlisting you."

awesomepossum

• Sr. Citizen
  • Playing possum can go too far
    • View Profile
« Reply #105 on: May 17, 2007, 02:17:25 AM »
Actually mate, I did.  I was very polite about it.  I thanked her profusely for her call, told her I thought they forgot about me, and told her I would be attending another law school. 

I sent my stuff in begining of Dec. and didn't go complete till March/April?  Then when they accepted me, I had one week to send in a deposit?

I'd like to witness aesomepossum's conception of "polite".   :D

My conception?  I didn't give birth to it.    ???
U.Michigan 2011 (deferred from '10)

Roman815

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: May 17, 2007, 02:58:23 AM »
I heard BU had some kind of problem this year.  Seriously though, they were terrible.  I waited 3-4 months to go COMPLETE.  When I was accepted, I told the woman on the phone  " I thought you guys forgot about me... anyway, I withdraw, thank you...."

You didnt say that to her did you mate?

I actually said something very similar to the guy on the phone at Lewis and Clark. He then asked me to e-mail my withdrawal, which I did. Good times.  ;)
University of San Diego School of Law Class of 2010!

LSN

Buba

• View Profile
« Reply #107 on: May 17, 2007, 03:16:19 AM »
GGU wins hands down with the rudness part. They mass emailed, asked that I call, and when I did, they were puzzled as to why I called!! If I had a question, I got the same answer "Look on the website!" followed by a short click...

Vermont, Florida Coastal, and Franklin Pierce: super communication, prompt answers, and very helpful and nice...

Nickledime85

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: May 17, 2007, 08:48:45 AM »
I have a gripe w/St.John's simply because I applied in December and still haven't gotten word on whether I've been accepted or rejected. I don't care at this point, as I've chosen my school, but 6 months with no correspondence? Come on.

Villanova makes me sad because they sent me an acceptance letter the day after I signed a lease for my apartment in Pittsburgh. While I like Pitt much better, that was bittersweet and pretty annoying.

Albany just completely sucks. I applied with both my LSAT and GPA waaayyyy over their 75% (thinking I may get a free ride, or close to that), and they didn't send me an acceptance until late April. No mention of merit aid whatsoever. They did, however, send me a pack of highlighters and a keychain. WTF?!?! I'm not in 2nd grade....give me cash!

On the flip side, I loved Pitt (obviously), Rutgers-N, and Richmond. Everyone in their offices and/or at their ASDs was incredibly friendly and receptive to questions.

University of Pittsburgh, Class of 2010 :-)

Last King of Edinburgh

• Sr. Citizen
  • Born to rule
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: May 17, 2007, 09:03:39 AM »
Actually mate, I did.  I was very polite about it.  I thanked her profusely for her call, told her I thought they forgot about me, and told her I would be attending another law school.  

I sent my stuff in begining of Dec. and didn't go complete till March/April?  Then when they accepted me, I had one week to send in a deposit?

I actually like it really. I understand one has to be "nice" and "cool" throughout the process but I get the feeling that even these adcomms know such is only gonna last for a while. People are people and sooner or later, with one's back against the wall, I guess the normal in everyone does rear its head. I'm no exception.
Washington University School of Law 2010