Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: School you applied to that turned you off most during cycle  (Read 14557 times)

John Blackthorne

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: School you applied to that turned you off most during cycle
« Reply #50 on: May 14, 2007, 06:14:31 PM »
you got owned by their attempts to game the rankings

You were served.  L&C wanted to increase the number of applicants so that they could lower their yield rate and attract some qualified candidates who might not have applied there otherwise.  You were in the former category, that is you helped them lower their yield rate.

I know but I no longer care. I just posted because that's what this thread is about. I never got my hopes up for USD though because I thought that I would be waitlisted and then rejected so I'm glad that it worked out this way. I'll warn other applicants about Lewis and Clark though.

you shouldn't warn other applicants about L&C.  I like L&C, they treated me well during the last cycle.  I chose not to go there, but I was pleased with the admissions staff.  I too was given a fee waiver and i asked around about fee waivers.  I found out before sending in my application that fee waivers are an inviation to apply for free and have no bearing on whether or not you will be offered admission.  You should have done your HW in assessing your chances. 
"I only eat inorganic foods. If it doesn't contain molybdenum or something from the noble gases, I'm just not interested"-- Lyle McDonald

iscoredawaitlist

• Sr. Citizen
  • The beagle puppy of anticipation
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: May 14, 2007, 06:15:09 PM »
sorry, i bolded the only part of your thing that I objected to. I just don't think that not giving a time line is a reason to dislike one school because that's the way all of the wait lists work.

I think your reaction to the fee waiver is probably fair, although i think the more effective whines (and I include mine in the whine category) are about schools one is accepted or at the very least wait listed at. I imagine that at least a couple adcomms will come across this thread and see their school's name mentioned, and maybe that'll be a good thing. But they're more likely to care when they see people who they think they ought to have been able to attract and want complain.

fowles

• View Profile
« Reply #52 on: May 14, 2007, 06:17:01 PM »

You were served.  L&C wanted to increase the number of applicants so that they could lower their yield rate and attract some qualified candidates who might not have applied there otherwise.  You were in the former category, that is you helped them lower their yield rate.

I know but I no longer care. I just posted because that's what this thread is about. I never got my hopes up for USD though because I thought that I would be waitlisted and then rejected so I'm glad that it worked out this way. I'll warn other applicants about Lewis and Clark and about keeping their applications in line with where they actually want to go.

What would you warn them about?  I'm sure you knew going in that your chances at getting in to L&C were around 50/50...I guess the fee-waiver thing threw you off, but at least the application was free.

thewanderer01

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #53 on: May 14, 2007, 06:18:02 PM »
Lewis & Clark.  Who the hell do those people think they are?

Yeah, Lewis and Clark must think that they are an Ivy or something. After sending me a fee waiver they decided to defer me. I then received an e-mail asking if I was still interested in attending on April 31st. After calling them up I was told that I had been waitlisted and that I could be taken off the waitlist "from next week to late August". This was just absurd so I withdrew. Maybe they sent me the fee waiver because they wanted to lower their acceptance rate.

I thought that Santa Clara or the University of San Diego would have been on this list but they gave me a decision and never played any games with my head. I applied to Lewis and Clark because I thought that the California schools would shun me but the opposite happened. I was actually really excited about going to Portland but I think that I will be much happier in San Diego. USD has made me feel better about the whole thing though because I had just come back from visiting them when I got the Lewis and Clark e-mail which said that I had to respond by May 4th or I would be withdrawn. On may 4th I received a $16,000 scholarship from USD so I guess that worked out. Similarly, when Loyola had waitlisted me, USD took me in so I guess it was meant to be. They were my third choice and the first two rejected me. I should have never wasted my time with Lewis and Clark because they are the ones who got my hopes up and then treated me poorly. Case Western Reserve accepted me a few days ago but they took forever. I'm going to USD anyways so I guess it doesn't matter.

Santa Clara: Applied:  10/27/06
                         Complete: 11/29/06 (over a month that early in the cycle)
                         Decision: 05/11/07 (196 days from transmit to decision and NOTHING in between)

I was by no means an auto-admit, but I'm just annoyed about waiting so long.
Rutgers - Newark Class of 2010

Roman815

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: May 14, 2007, 06:53:02 PM »
you shouldn't warn other applicants about L&C.  I like L&C, they treated me well during the last cycle.  I chose not to go there, but I was pleased with the admissions staff.  I too was given a fee waiver and i asked around about fee waivers.  I found out before sending in my application that fee waivers are an inviation to apply for free and have no bearing on whether or not you will be offered admission.  You should have done your HW in assessing your chances. 

What would you warn them about?  I'm sure you knew going in that your chances at getting in to L&C were around 50/50...I guess the fee-waiver thing threw you off, but at least the application was free.

The LSAC calculator has my chances at 75%. I would warn them about applying late to Lewis and Clark with a fee waiver since their cycle ends much earlier than that of other schools. If I would have applied earlier then I would have had a different outcome. I just wasn't interested in them when I sent out my first batch of applications.
University of San Diego School of Law Class of 2010!

LSN

John Blackthorne

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: May 14, 2007, 06:57:21 PM »

I know but I no longer care. I just posted because that's what this thread is about. I never got my hopes up for USD though because I thought that I would be waitlisted and then rejected so I'm glad that it worked out this way. I'll warn other applicants about Lewis and Clark and about keeping their applications in line with where they actually want to go.

The LSAC calculator has my chances at 75%. I would warn them about appling late to Lewis and Clark with a fee waiver since their cycle ends much earlier than that of other schools. If I would have applied earlier then I would have had a different outcome. I just wasn't interested in them when I sent out my first batch of applications.

it appears that your personality shone through in your PS and soft factors
"I only eat inorganic foods. If it doesn't contain molybdenum or something from the noble gases, I'm just not interested"-- Lyle McDonald

Roman815

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: May 14, 2007, 06:59:22 PM »

The LSAC calculator has my chances at 75%. I would warn them about appling late to Lewis and Clark with a fee waiver since their cycle ends much earlier than that of other schools. If I would have applied earlier then I would have had a different outcome. I just wasn't interested in them when I sent out my first batch of applications.

You are absolutely correct, that's why USD admitted me with a scholarship while waitlisting so many others with numbers higher than mine. I'm glad that I worked really hard on that personal statement!

LSN

John Blackthorne

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: May 14, 2007, 07:10:07 PM »

You are absolutely correct, that's why USD admitted me with a scholarship while waitlisting so many other with numbers higher than mine. I'm glad that I worked really hard on that personal statement!

congratulations.

lay off the bold

Roman815

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: May 14, 2007, 07:12:49 PM »
congratulations.

lay off the bold

Thanks, will do. It was starting to bother me as well.

LSN

S2X

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: May 14, 2007, 07:29:49 PM »
Seattle took a while to respond to my emails.  It didn't surprise me at all that they rejected me...I guess they were just not interested in me.

On the flip side, Willamette has been very prompt and their admissions people are very friendly.